installer sees disk but will not boot

I am trying to install NT 2000 right now and the entire install process
functions correctly, until it asks to remove the CD and reboot. At that
point the computer will not load NT, instead it displays a message that
the "disk can not be found" and shows a couple of options to boot from
the network.

I've tried 2 different disks, what else might be the culprit of this
error? It could be hardware problems but I don't know what piece of
hardware I should be looking at...

Thanks for any tips you may have.

Kevin
2 answers Last reply
More about installer sees disk boot
  1. Archived from groups: microsoft.public.windowsnt.setup (More info?)

    There is no "NT 2000" but since you're posting to an NT group I'll assume
    Windows NT. You didn't mention the drive controller (possibly SCSI, or ultra
    DMA, or ATA100, or raid, or serial ATA), but you may need to boot the
    Windows NT setup disks or CD-Rom and *F6* very early and very important (at
    setup is inspecting your system) in the setup to prevent drive controller
    detection, and select S to specify additional drivers. Then later you'll be
    prompted to insert the manufacturer supplied Windows NT driver for your
    drive's controller in drive "A"

    If you wait and then S to specify additional drivers, then it may be too
    late as Windows NT Setup at this point may have already assigned the
    resources your drive's controller is wanting to use.

    --
    Regards,

    Microsoft Certified Professional
    Microsoft MVP [Windows]
    http://www.microsoft.com/protect

    "kemp" wrote:
    |I am trying to install NT 2000 right now and the entire install process
    | functions correctly, until it asks to remove the CD and reboot. At that
    | point the computer will not load NT, instead it displays a message that
    | the "disk can not be found" and shows a couple of options to boot from
    | the network.
    |
    | I've tried 2 different disks, what else might be the culprit of this
    | error? It could be hardware problems but I don't know what piece of
    | hardware I should be looking at...
    |
    | Thanks for any tips you may have.
    |
    | Kevin
  2. Archived from groups: microsoft.public.windowsnt.setup (More info?)

    this looks like computer BIOS message

    Possible causes:
    1) your disk is not in boot sequence of your computer (especially SCSI disks
    can have this problem, because you need to setup correctly both motheboard
    and SCSI controller BIOSes to be able to boot from such disk).

    2) master boot sector (MBR) of your disk is damaged - either there is not
    bootsector mark of MBR or primary partition or there is not bootable
    (active) set partition in partiton table or this table has invalid content.
    Before you try to fix this, consult manual of your computer to see, if your
    computer needs proprietary service partition (for example some of Compaq/HP
    machines need it). In such case you should to use installation disk from
    computer manufacturer to install OS to your machine. Otherwise either use
    fixmbr command from Win 2000/XP repair console (you can boot to it from win
    2000/xp setup CD). For Win NT boot from MS-DOS system floppy and invoke
    "fdisk /MBR" command. Also you can use delpart.exe tool from MS site to
    completely clear partition table (in case there is any invalid content).
    Especially never used disks and disks used as secondary drives are perfect
    source of this problem. Windows setup should, teoretically, place valid MBR
    to new unused disk, but sometimes there are data from diagnostic tests that
    make setup think that there is already valid MBR and in such case setup may
    not to replace it. Secondary disks, if they were never used as primary
    disks, are usually having codeless MBRs - ie. with both disk parameters
    table and partition table and with valid bootsector mark, but without any
    code that can load operating system. If BIOS find zeros on begin of MBR, it
    will produce error message similar to yours (or computer hangs if BIOS
    doesnt test this and simply force controll to inexistant code).

    "kemp" <no@way.com> píse v diskusním príspevku
    > I am trying to install NT 2000 right now and the entire install process
    > functions correctly, until it asks to remove the CD and reboot. At that
    > point the computer will not load NT, instead it displays a message that
    > the "disk can not be found" and shows a couple of options to boot from
    > the network.
    >
    > I've tried 2 different disks, what else might be the culprit of this
    > error? It could be hardware problems but I don't know what piece of
    > hardware I should be looking at...
    >
    > Thanks for any tips you may have.
    >
    > Kevin

Installer Boot Windows