Need recommendations, AMD system

Chilly

Distinguished
Jan 29, 2005
Hi all, great forum!

I need recommendations for a solid AMD, MBoard / CPU / Graphics Card trinity.

Preferably non SLI and non dual core unless someone can convince me I should. It will be for medium to high end gaming.

Thanks!

mpjesse

Splendid
If you want to go high end gaming on the relatively cheap- then go w/ a Athlon 64 4000+. It outperforms most dual core Athlon's in gaming and is cheaper (it can be had for $325).

As far as boards... you might as well get an SLI board. Even if you don't plan to use SLI- it's always nice to have the option. You can always use the 16x slot for something else. I personally have an Asus A8N-SLI.
But if you're dead set on a non-SLI board, here's a good one for $94:
http://www.chiefvalue.com/app/productdetails.asp?submit=&item=13-131-569&ATT=Motherboards

Video card... If you're looking for medium to high end, then stick w/ a 7800 GT/GTX or x1800/x850 series card. A 6800GT would be fine too. I guess it depends on your budget.

-mpjesse

Mostly agree with Jesse. I'd consider getting the 3700+ and save $100 or more (it was $211 recently at zipzoomfly.com). I'd personally stay away from SLi, too. I'd take a look at the Abit AN8 Ultra or Epox 9NPA+ Ultra, too - great mobos at a reasonable price. The AN8 has a great OC utility for beginners - uGuru. The 6800GS is on the same performance level as the 6800GT, but costs significantly less.

What's your budget and what will be the other usage for the system?