DVD Burners: What's the best buy today?

gowens

Distinguished
Aug 25, 2003
:?:
Toms Hardware just posted a new article about DVD writer's true speeds, but I'm still a bit confused which drive (including those not reviewed e.g. Benq, LG, etc.) have the best balance of price, performance, and features (Lightscribe, DVD RAM capabilities). I know they only average about $50 so I'm not freaking out over the decision, but I'd like to know which I will most likely be satisfied with for the next 1-2 years.

Any suggestions?

ps, any suggestions on where to find a glossary/summary of what format to use for a given task (e.g. -R if playing in a home DVD player, etc.)?

TunaSoda

Distinguished
Dec 2, 2005
:?:
Toms Hardware just posted a new article about DVD writer's true speeds, but I'm still a bit confused which drive (including those not reviewed e.g. Benq, LG, etc.) have the best balance of price, performance, and features (Lightscribe, DVD RAM capabilities). I know they only average about $50 so I'm not freaking out over the decision, but I'd like to know which I will most likely be satisfied with for the next 1-2 years.

Any suggestions?

ps, any suggestions on where to find a glossary/summary of what format to use for a given task (e.g. -R if playing in a home DVD player, etc.)?

I got two of these on NewEgg and they are fast smooth and quite :)
http://www.newegg.com/product/product.asp?item=N82E16827152058

mpjesse

Splendid
Crazy as it sounds, the best burners I've ever owned were made by Lite-On. I've had/have name brands like Pioneer and NEC- they all have compatibility issues.

So my suggestion would be Lite-On.

-mpjesse

satimis

Distinguished
May 9, 2005
Hi mpjesse,

..the best burners I've ever owned were made by Lite-On...
I'm prepared to buy an economic~mid price DVD burner (internal) to be installed on Linux box for burning both DVD and CD, most cases using RW. Could you please suggest a model. TIA

B.R.
satimis

jocksteeluk

Distinguished
Jan 7, 2006
i dont know about the liteon dvd writers themself but ive always used liteon cdrws and they are superb absolutly no problems ever so im inclined to belive the same would be for their dvd rw's but for my choice The nec one's always have top ratings i have a 3540, superb and a good price too, a little noisey although the performance makes up for it.