help... to overclock or not ?

binner

Distinguished
Dec 6, 2005
I have a Soltek QBIC 3401. This is a small form factor box.

I am upgrading my Graphics card and I have narrowed it down to X800GTO or GF6800GS.

I only have an AGP slot. (currently running 9600XT)

How much would the heat load increase by if I bought the X800GTO and flashed it to get 16 pipes ?

Does the fact thatI have an SFF box mean I should just go with the 6800GS and forget overclocking ?

The PC currently has 2 HDD which I am changing for 1 larger , (and hopefully quieter and cooler) which will reduce heat load.

Power supply is rated at 250W will this cause a problem ?

Human1

Distinguished
Jan 3, 2006
Wouldn't mind being in your position. Hmm...which new graphics card do I want?
Yeah, that's a pretty tiny PSU to be running a graphics card like that. In order to be stable you'll probably want to up the juice available. Lower wattage PSU's also tend to carry less amperage which is bad for power hungry components.
As for your overclocking question, why do you want to OC? I mean, yeah it sounds cool, but is a 6% increase in performance really going to help you out? Espcially in a SFF case, where airflow can be a problem, go with Nvidia. In my experience they run cooler. Unless you have the water cooling...

raven_87

Distinguished
Dec 29, 2005
The X800 line consumes a bit less wattage and disipates a little less heat then the 6800 line...hense the need for a smaller HS/F.

Overclocking a SFF PC is useless...that I'll agree. Airflow is tight enough as is.

EDIT: Almost forgot...250watt PSU, that could be sticky situation your in.

Could you post the rest of your system specs please? - That would really help.

cleeve

Illustrious
You can't flash an X800 GTO to 16 pipes.

You can flash an X800 GTO2, and the X800 GTO 16 comes with 16 pipes enabled from the factory. But I haven't heard of a successful X800 GTO unlock yet.

Your power supply is too wimpy for sure. And overclocking is not a good idea for that form factor... but you can still get good performance.

binner

Distinguished
Dec 6, 2005
I think I am confused. When I said "overclocking" I was referring to flashing the 12 pipe card to 16 pipes, a case of incorrect terminology apologies.

I thought the X800GTO could be unlocked/flashed (delete as applicable) to 16 pipes it just ran the 420 core not the 480

Does the GF6800GS come with VIVO ?

Do any of these US sites with fantastic pricing ship to the UK ?

But I haven't heard of a successful X800 GTO unlock yet.

Supposedly the Sapphire, Connect3D and GeXcube cards are highly modable, although there was a statement about the Connect3Ds no longer being as modable.

Not quite the GTO2 level, but very high success rates have been reported, higher than the X800Pro mods (which were primarily ViVo confined).

Alot of people are saying R480 core on AGP cards (I think that's what GW's is saying), but wouldn't that be R481 if there isn't the presence of a Rialto bridge?

binner

Distinguished
Dec 6, 2005
for completeness

cpu = P4 3.0GHz (Northwood)
RAM = 1GB (2 x 512)
Chipset = intel 865G
1 agp and 1 PCI expansion ports
2 HDD 1 x 40GB 1 x 140GB both IDE not SATA
Mobo is SATA capabale
Curent GPU Radeon 9600XT
PSU= 250W
BIOS = AMI

Not sure if I can get a power supply with more punch that will fit in the case

I am also considering X800XL and X800XT (though I think the latter requires 300-350W power supply)

If possible I want to connect my PS2 to the card to allow me to use my TFT to play GT4 on.

I I spend no more than £150 on the card then I can also buy a box to connect the PS2 directly to the monitor

the more I think about this the more confused I get

BTW games played are BF2 and CS:Source / HL2

At the moment , baed on what I can find on UK sites to buy now, this is looking like the best bet

http://www.overclockers.co.uk/acatalog/6800_Series.html

raven_87

Distinguished
Dec 29, 2005
No new GPU without a new power supply: that would be suicide.
Both the X800XL and XT require a 350watt PSU, I would look to the XL
on consuming less wattage though.

Thank god you dont have a Prescott, that alone with your machine should have been enough to destroy that PSU.

binner

Distinguished
Dec 6, 2005
so because the power supply is only 250W I can only realy go for

X800GTP (AGP) or

GF6800GS (AGP)

Or do I need more power for these as well ?

If I need more power does anyone know of a good PSU that will fit in my case ??

binner

Distinguished
Dec 6, 2005
well we all make mistakes.

At the time portability was high on the list of priorities and I specced the system to last 3 years.

Probably a bit short sighted on the GPU and power requirements but hey.

so any thoughts on the X800GTO vs GF6800GS and power then ?

raven_87

Distinguished
Dec 29, 2005
Might be...

Then again he could overload his PSU beyond bootup = death
Hopefully only taking the new GPU with it.

EDIT: @ Crashman... "Bought a Dell" .....LOL...yea, that would have been much much better **insert sarcasm here** Actually, might save him SOME hassle, my collision course with Dell wasnt a pretty one, kinda why I had too laugh and shudder at the same time.

binner

Distinguished
Dec 6, 2005
thanks for all the help

very useful

ta

the PSU is Soltek model number ENP-2725d

I have had a recommendation to look for a Seasonic Micro ATX PSU. A standard size one will not fit in the case.

GeneticWeapon

Splendid
Jan 13, 2003
Alot of people are saying R480 core on AGP cards (I think that's what GW's is saying), but wouldn't that be R481 if there isn't the presence of a Rialto bridge?
My card has the rialto bridge, it's the big chip next to the AGP slot.

phto00751fp.jpg

Crashman

Polypheme
Former Staff
There are several standards for smaller power supplies, the most common being SFX, and the most common for even smaller systems probably being TFX.

There is no such thing as a "Micro ATX" power supply, a bunch of different sizes are listed by venders as "Micro ATX" because venders don't know form factors or expect their customers to know them.

binner

Distinguished
Dec 6, 2005
yes

I have seen that from looking around.

I will have to check the dimensions as well as the rating

useful (but dry) web site

http://www.formfactors.org/

Crashman

Polypheme
Former Staff
I didn't see anything about PS/3, which was SUPPOSED to be THE Micro ATX power supply before SFX was introduced. PS/3 has the same mounting surface as the full-sized PS/2 power supply, but a reduced depth.

RichPLS

Champion
My card has the rialto bridge, it's the big chip next to the AGP slot.

phto00751fp.jpg

Hmm, my HiS X1800XT does not seem to have a larch chip anywhere on the back of the card, top as it is installed...

So this makes it a R481 rather than a 480?
Is this somehow improved then?

binner

Distinguished
Dec 6, 2005
these look like they will fit

click HERE

Just heard back from XFX apparently for the GF6800GS AGP they recommend

wait for it

450 watt power supply !!!!!!!

can I get away with 320 ?

The power load calculators on the power forum come back with 280 and 312 watts using GF6800GT cos they don't have the GS on there

GeneticWeapon

Splendid
Jan 13, 2003
Hmm, my HiS X1800XT does not seem to have a larch chip anywhere on the back of the card, top as it is installed...

So this makes it a R481 rather than a 480?
Is this somehow improved then?
You have a PCIE motherboard......your gfx card doesnt need a chip that converts pcie to agp :idea:

TRENDING THREADS