wireless range not quite enough

Last response: in Wireless Networking
a b F Wireless
September 17, 2005 2:43:41 PM

I am using a Linksys Wireless Router SMC 2804 WBR and it hasn't quite got
the range for some of the pc's on my network .They are using Linksys USB
wireless adaptors.
What should I buy to get the range improved?

More about : wireless range

September 17, 2005 2:43:42 PM

-keevill- wrote:

> I am using a Linksys Wireless Router SMC 2804 WBR and it hasn't quite
> got the range for some of the pc's on my network .They are using
> Linksys USB wireless adaptors.
> What should I buy to get the range improved?

Here is a website that will help you:

http://www.ezlan.net/Distance.html

Malke
--
Elephant Boy Computers
www.elephantboycomputers.com

"-keevill-" <keevillus@yahoo.com> wrote in message
>I am using a Linksys Wireless Router SMC 2804 WBR and it hasn't quite got
>the range for some of the pc's on my network .They are using Linksys USB
>wireless adaptors.
> What should I buy to get the range improved?

Personally, though I am not pushing any one company's barrow here, I have
found the distance on the D-Link USB stuff great. While, if you are going to
have serious distance for a wi-fi network or possibly a lot of interfering
substances, you wont get the highest connection possible, you still get a
connection. I have customers in places of different stories in their
building, different substances in walls and floors to get through and one
near a hospital (as I am at home) and one also near an electronics repair
shop who interferes with his cordless landline phone but in every case they
still get through. The unfortunate thing with their USB wi-fi is that if you
pull the cord out at the NIC often and not at the USB port, you run the risk
of damaging it. I actually saw a customer pull the connection almost
completely out of one. I often pull my own D-link wi-fi out at the NIC but I
am doing it carefully and haven't had a problem to date.
!