Sign in with
Your question

Changing to win7 pro from win7 home

Last response: in Windows 7
March 16, 2011 7:36:42 PM

I'm just curious since there are a few "pro" features I'm missing since getting my new machine (with 7 home). I have a full version of 7 pro but if its too much of a headache I'm not sure how many hoops I'm willing to go through just yet..
Forum after forum I can't seem to find a close enough answer to my whole question. Since 7 pro is not an upgrade, will I have to do a clean install? Or is there something easier than XP's files and settings transfer wizard that can ease my irritation?
a b $ Windows 7
March 16, 2011 10:22:24 PM

It should be a simple upgrade even when using a full version of Windows7 Pro.

Windows should recognize the home version and allow you to just upgrade.
m
l
a b $ Windows 7
March 17, 2011 12:27:08 AM

I've got to ask, what features are you missing out on?
m
l
Related resources
a c 229 $ Windows 7
March 17, 2011 11:06:12 AM

Can't you do an anytime upgrade? I thought you should be able to reactivate windows using the new key without having to reinstall.
m
l
March 17, 2011 3:39:33 PM

Only a couple I know without checking. Remoting in, some network versatilities, disk management features.. I know there's probably ways around with 3rd party stuff, but I never have trusted those (from experiences).
Aside from not wanting the slimmed down version, I'm getting beyond the scope of what home is geared toward with school and eventually work.
m
l
a b $ Windows 7
March 17, 2011 11:20:22 PM

I'm not sure what you mean by "network versatilities" or any disk management features that might be missing. I use logmein for any remoting that needs to get done. Only thing I know pro gets you over home is a higher max RAM limit, XP mode which is useless for gamers as no video acceleration is possible, and the ability to join a domain. The ram limit for home is still pretty high, and you'll probably be on win8 before you exceed it. Unless you need to join a domain, there isn't much reason for pro.

http://www.microsoft.com/windows/windows-7/compare/defa...
m
l
!