Printer driver on Terminal Server mapped to wrong TS0xx port

Last response: in Windows 2000/NT
April 11, 2004 10:04:58 PM

Archived from groups: microsoft.public.windowsnt.terminalserver.misc (More info?)

I've been unable to determine why, on occasion, a printer driver on the
Terminal Server gets mapped to the wrong TS0xx port/session. I know that
each time a remote user logs in the Terminal Server printer driver that
matches his local printer gets mapped to a new TS0xx port for the current
session. While this works automatically most times, sometimes, in order to
get the printer to work, I have to manually select the active TS0xx session.
In other words, the printer seems to get mapped (or stay mapped) to an old
TS0xx port. Is there some general reason (not unique to my system) that
could cause this?

Thanks - Steve
Anonymous
April 13, 2004 5:49:57 AM

Archived from groups: microsoft.public.windowsnt.terminalserver.misc (More info?)

ON Win2003 server when the session disconnects the TSxxx port is released
and may be reused on next connection, it does not have to be always
different port. I will say the system tries to map printers to the same
ports when you connect from the same client.

I have never seen this problem in our lab. How do you determine what port to
select when you see this problem?

Are you sure that when you change the TS port the job is redirected to the
right printer?

Did you see any pending jobs on the client printer? Is the client printer
still functional?

When you see this behavior next time or if you can reproduce this problem
(repro steps will be grate) can you write down the TS port number and
instead fixing these problems just disconnect, wait for a min and reconnect
the client. This should be the same port

Thanks for bringing this issue

--
Zenon Pilat (MS)
---

"Steve Snure" <ssnure@utelesys.com> wrote in message
news:o x1QGEBIEHA.3200@TK2MSFTNGP10.phx.gbl...
> I've been unable to determine why, on occasion, a printer driver on the
> Terminal Server gets mapped to the wrong TS0xx port/session. I know that
> each time a remote user logs in the Terminal Server printer driver that
> matches his local printer gets mapped to a new TS0xx port for the current
> session. While this works automatically most times, sometimes, in order
> get the printer to work, I have to manually select the active TS0xx
session.
> In other words, the printer seems to get mapped (or stay mapped) to an old
> TS0xx port. Is there some general reason (not unique to my system) that
> could cause this?
>
> Thanks - Steve

Anonymous
April 23, 2004 1:56:59 PM

Archived from groups: microsoft.public.windowsnt.terminalserver.misc (More info?)

Zenon

Thanks for your reply. Answers to your questions are below...

Q. How do you determine what port to select when you see this problem?
A. When this happens I can see in the printer's port tab what TSxxx ports
were assigned to the user. It's pretty much trial-and-error to determine
the correct port. I simply select a port, hit "apply" and test it.

Q. "...[am I] sure that when change the TS port the job is redirected to
the right printer?"
A. The only way I know is if it prints to the correct printer. I've not
received complaints from other users using the same printer driver that have
received my tests in error.

Q. "Did you see any pending jobs on the client printer?"
A. Yes. Generally if the test was sent to the wrong port it shows up in the
print job monitor and goes away quickly (faster than if it was sent to the
correct port). In other words, it appears that it usually just gets
discarded.

Q. Is the client printer still functional?"
A. Yes. In all cases it can print locally, but not through the terminal
server.

Q. When you see this behavior next time or if you can reproduce this problem
(repro steps will be grate) can you write down the TS port number and
instead fixing these problems just disconnect, wait for a min and reconnect
the client. This should be the same port.
A. Unfortunately this is an intermittent, albeit frequent, problem, but not
readily reproducible. Also, this just happened yesterday and when the user
logged off, then on, the TSxxx port changed.

Interesting note. This seems to happen to only a few users. Most users
never have to change the port.

....Steve

"Zenon Pilat (MS)" <zenonp@online.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> ON Win2003 server when the session disconnects the TSxxx port is released
> and may be reused on next connection, it does not have to be always
> different port. I will say the system tries to map printers to the same
> ports when you connect from the same client.
>
> I have never seen this problem in our lab. How do you determine what port
> select when you see this problem?
>
> Are you sure that when you change the TS port the job is redirected to the
> right printer?
>
> Did you see any pending jobs on the client printer? Is the client printer
> still functional?
>
> When you see this behavior next time or if you can reproduce this problem
> (repro steps will be grate) can you write down the TS port number and
> instead fixing these problems just disconnect, wait for a min and
reconnect
> the client. This should be the same port
>

> Thanks for bringing this issue
>

> --
> Zenon Pilat (MS)
> ---
> ---
>
> "Steve Snure" <ssnure@utelesys.com> wrote in message
> news:o x1QGEBIEHA.3200@TK2MSFTNGP10.phx.gbl...
> > I've been unable to determine why, on occasion, a printer driver on the
> > Terminal Server gets mapped to the wrong TS0xx port/session. I know
that
> > each time a remote user logs in the Terminal Server printer driver that
> > matches his local printer gets mapped to a new TS0xx port for the
current
> > session. While this works automatically most times, sometimes, in order
> > get the printer to work, I have to manually select the active TS0xx
> session.
> > In other words, the printer seems to get mapped (or stay mapped) to an
old
> > TS0xx port. Is there some general reason (not unique to my system) that
> > could cause this?
> >
> > Thanks - Steve

Anonymous
May 3, 2004 2:56:24 PM