tedmid

Distinguished
Jan 3, 2006
I need to build a minimal PC to go in my car. It needs this very basic functionality:
-be small/micro so it can be hidden away in a car
-boot into command line linux moderately fast and run a C program
-needs a serial interface (COM port)
-needs RCA composite (TV-out) video card for simple 2d graphics
-12Volt DC-DC power supply since it needs to run from car battery and i do not want to use a power inverter

I did a search for Car, Automobile, etc and PC with no luck. Anyone know if there has been any research/testing done for this type of "home"-build, or i suppose "car"-build? Really i am looking for recommendations for a decent 12V power supply, a small case/MB/chip combo, and a small (micro-case compatible) cheap video card that has an RCA jack for output.
Thanks!
-ted

TunaSoda

Distinguished
Dec 2, 2005
I need to build a minimal PC to go in my car. It needs this very basic functionality:
-be small/micro so it can be hidden away in a car
-boot into command line linux moderately fast and run a C program
-needs a serial interface (COM port)
-needs RCA composite (TV-out) video card for simple 2d graphics
-12Volt DC-DC power supply since it needs to run from car battery and i do not want to use a power inverter

I did a search for Car, Automobile, etc and PC with no luck. Anyone know if there has been any research/testing done for this type of "home"-build, or i suppose "car"-build? Really i am looking for recommendations for a decent 12V power supply, a small case/MB/chip combo, and a small (micro-case compatible) cheap video card that has an RCA jack for output.
Thanks!
-ted

I actually thought of doing this, flip-down lcd from the center roof (inside), just enough to run an mp3 box for connection with my car stereo.
The car itself is a 12v system, but not sure if the amperage is the same?

Crashman

Polypheme
Former Staff
Actually...I did the research a while back. I used Google. I don't remember the terms I used, but I came across a site that made industrial and project power supplies. They had a 150W ATX power supply that ran off 12v.

Of course your easiest solution would be to use an old laptop that functions from its own 12-15v adapter, and skip the adapter.

EdrickV

Distinguished
May 2, 2005
Check this site out:
http://www.mini-itx.com/
Small PCs are what that site is all about. Keep in mind that their online store is located in England, but some of the products in it may be available elsewhere. Some of the mini-itx motherboards support S-Video TV Out. S-Video to composite video adapters should be available at your local Radio Shack, though you might need a monitor for initial setup to enable the TV in Windows. (Linux is supported on some motherboards, the older ones being better supported then the newer ones.) 12 DC-DC power supplies are available on that website and they actually have vehicle kit "bundles" in their online store. (The bundles being a quick way to add multiple components to your shopping cart at one time, but still being able to remove stuff you don't want.)

Via is one of the main companies behind those motherboards and their website is here:
http://www.via.com.tw
They even have a page about car/vespa PCs. I found this site in their list of US distributors and on their FAQ page I saw a reference to a car PC tutorial:
http://www.mitxpc.com/

Crashman

Polypheme
Former Staff
I had an IBM PIII 600 laptop with something like 14v input, that would actually be perfect, super compact, and far more powerful than a VIA C3.

C3 1000 was between a K6-2 450 and K6-III 450 in some benchmarks.