Combine both drives (C,D)

darkstar782

Distinguished
Dec 24, 2005
RAID jbod would combine them. I believe this type is built within windows xp, even if not onboard raid included with board.

XP *pro* supports Dynamic disks and can do software RAID 0, 1, and JBOD.

However the system cannot boot from a software RAID partition.

Assuming they are two logical partitions on the same physical disk, you either need to reformat and repartition, creating just one partition, or use a 3rd party program such as Partition Magic to combine the partitions.

Assuming C and D are separate physical drives, and that the system does not have onboard RAID, you will need a RAID controller card (I hesitate to say hardware RAID controller as in most cases the CPU does the work.)

PATA versions of these can be as cheap as £15, for example cards based on the Silicon Image 680 chip.

magic12

Distinguished
Jan 3, 2006
Thanks. I have only one drive with 2 partitions, C and D. I'd like to have only one. I think there's so much space on the D that i don't use. i don't know that much about computers. Can you please give me detailed answer. I have windows xp(C is fat 32 and D is NTFS).Thank you.

sephirothx21

Distinguished
Dec 14, 2005
The extra partition is a blessing in disguise. Store your documents on D instead of C. Then if you need to reload your operating system - for an upgrade - or for something more serious (like viruses or spam you cannot uninstall or repair), your documents will be safe.

If you want to combine them, you can use qtparted, a free Partition Magic Clone. It comes on the free System Rescue CD, downloadable at http://www.sysresccd.org/download.en.php . Burn the CD, boot to it, and type run_qtparted. You should be able to delete the D partition and then re-size the C partition with only a few mouse clicks.