2nd wireless signal kicking user off network

Both my wife and I use wireless at home - Linksys Router. It appears as
though a neighbour has a SMC network setup.

It seems whenever the neighbour's signal becomes active, we get kicked off
of our own network. I have tried numerous times to delete/remove this SMC
netowrk, but XP keeps identifying it.

How can I avoid this interference? I have a LAN line for my docking
station, but my wife does not.

Dave

Distinguished
Jun 25, 2003

if you have turned off ssid broadcast on your access point xp will always
want to switch to one that is broadcasting.

"zagnew" <zagnew@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> Both my wife and I use wireless at home - Linksys Router. It appears as
> though a neighbour has a SMC network setup.
>
> It seems whenever the neighbour's signal becomes active, we get kicked off
> of our own network. I have tried numerous times to delete/remove this SMC
> netowrk, but XP keeps identifying it.
>
> How can I avoid this interference? I have a LAN line for my docking
> station, but my wife does not.

Wen

Distinguished
Jul 10, 2002

Dave wrote:
> if you have turned off ssid broadcast on your access point xp will always
> want to switch to one that is broadcasting.
>
> "zagnew" <zagnew@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
>> Both my wife and I use wireless at home - Linksys Router. It appears as
>> though a neighbour has a SMC network setup.
>>
>> It seems whenever the neighbour's signal becomes active, we get kicked off
>> of our own network. I have tried numerous times to delete/remove this SMC
>> netowrk, but XP keeps identifying it.
>>
>> How can I avoid this interference? I have a LAN line for my docking
>> station, but my wife does not.

Consider using another channel; if you're on 6 try 1 or 11...

zagnew wrote:
> Both my wife and I use wireless at home - Linksys Router. It appears
> as though a neighbour has a SMC network setup.
>
> It seems whenever the neighbour's signal becomes active, we get
> kicked off of our own network. I have tried numerous times to
> delete/remove this SMC netowrk, but XP keeps identifying it.
>
> How can I avoid this interference? I have a LAN line for my docking
> station, but my wife does not.

....also, remove all but your network in Preferred networks. On the
advanced tab, uncheck automatically connect...

....and most of all, broadcast your SSID, set up WEP security and MAC
address filtering.

TRENDING THREADS