First time building a computer, could use some advice &

ryuu

Distinguished
Jan 4, 2006
I spent the last four days researching all the parts that I needed for my new computer. Since this is the first time I'm building one I wanted to make sure I picked all the right stuff before I ordered everything.

Here's my Newegg wish list:
http://secure.newegg.com/NewVersion/WishList/WishShareShow.asp?ID=1832995&WishListTitle=My+First+Build
http://tinyurl.com/aq9bb

I'm also going to be getting the DELL UltraSharp 2405FPW 24-inch Wide monitor, but I'll probably wait to see if there are any improvements with the 2407FPW.

What do you all think? Is there anything I should change?

As you can see I have a pretty high budget. :twisted: I picked the parts for a high end gaming PC without going too overboard.

Here's my current PC that I bought from Gateway 3 1/2 years ago with a few upgrades.

2.4Ghz Intel Pentium 4
1Gb Ram
ATI 9800 pro AIW
Creative Audigy
2x 120Gb Harddrives
WinXP Home
19" LCD monitor
4.1 Speakers

Thanks for any help.

RichPLS

Champion
You could save almost $200 by getting the Asus A8R-MVP and the X1800XT retail with an Opteron 175 (which is equivalant to the X2-4400 you selected but better)
I got this setup, with two Raptors and that 2405FPW you are getting.
I also got two WD 7200 250gig SATA2 drives for storage.

godlyatheist

Distinguished
Nov 13, 2005
First off, you've done your research well. But there's a few thing that could improve

That raptor is not gonna give you significant speed increase whereas two cheap WD 80gb SATA in raid 0 for $110 will be faster and more storage.

For $185 you don't get a 96khz sound card, get one with 192khz

DON"T buy the Media Center!!! You want Xp Pro with SP2 for gaming

Are you OCing? YOu did pick a Zalman fan. If not, stick with the stock HSF

THAT EVGA IS WAY TOO EXPENSIVE!!!! YOU are better off getting the one for ~$470 and OC it to that stat. Or, you get the Sapphire X1800XT for $500 and OC to 700/800, heck lot faster and cheaper

Why does everybody choose the G7? I would choose the MX1000 with more buttons but that's my opinion.

Cases are people's personal whim but for such a high end system I would take the saved $$$ towards a more sturdy case with better features(the Xion is very good for the price but not the strongest case there is...)

-------
edit: rich got his reply in while i was typing mine, so some repeats