Default Extension Associations

Archived from groups: microsoft.public.windowsnt.terminalserver.misc (More info?)

Hello,

I have a Windows 2000 Terminal Server serving apps to about 50 people. I
have installed the Word and Excel viewers for these users so they can read
and print word and excel documents, they do not need the full Office package
at this time.

I would like to test the full version of Office on this Terminal Server, but
am worried that after installation, all .doc and .xls files will become
associated with the full versions of Word and Excel, and I do not yet have
policies in place to control these applications behavior.

Any way I can set a global value for .doc and .xls files to continue to be
opened with the viewers by default for all users?

Thanks,
JBailey

Archived from groups: microsoft.public.windowsnt.terminalserver.misc (More info?)

Yes, you should be able to do this:

257592 - Changes in File Types and File Association Features in
Windows 2000 and Windows Server 2003
http://support.microsoft.com/?kbid=257592

However, I would *not* test an Office installation (or any
installation at all) on a production server. You will save
yourself a lot of problems and your users a lot of downtime if you
install a test server and perform your tests there. Doesn't have
to be very powerful hardware, just enough to support the OS will
do for simple testing purposes.

--
Vera Noest
http://hem.fyristorg.com/vera/IT

"JBailey" <abc@123.com> wrote in

> Hello,
>
> I have a Windows 2000 Terminal Server serving apps to about 50
> people. I have installed the Word and Excel viewers for these
> users so they can read and print word and excel documents, they
> do not need the full Office package at this time.
>
> I would like to test the full version of Office on this Terminal
> Server, but am worried that after installation, all .doc and
> .xls files will become associated with the full versions of Word
> and Excel, and I do not yet have policies in place to control
> these applications behavior.
>
> Any way I can set a global value for .doc and .xls files to
> continue to be opened with the viewers by default for all users?
>
> Thanks,
> JBailey

Archived from groups: microsoft.public.windowsnt.terminalserver.misc (More info?)

Vera,

Thanks for the article, thats exactly what I needed. I agree completely
about not testing an app on a production server, hopefully I can find a
spare box around here somewhere :)

JBailey