Semi-noob looking for Mobo suggestions please.

Ok, here’s the deal. I am a semi-noob. I have built 2 other machines (Asus KM7 and an ECS pos) and have modded 2 Dells (2350 & 4400). I have a decent gaming rig now (Dell XPS) but would really like to build a machine. I plan on collecting the parts for a few months as I am somewhat cheap and always on the hunt for top end components @ mid-range prices. My requirements below.

Socket 939 AMD 64, 64x2 compatible
SLI capable
Somewhat idiot proof overclocking ability
SATA w/ Raid controller
Decent amount of USB headers
Onboard LAN

As I said I am somewhat new to all this, I have been doing a lot of reading about computer building and tweaking but I know that reading about, and doing it are entirely different things. I would just like a good base Mobo that I can learn, build on and expand for at least the next 2 years. I know that’s a lot to ask the way technology is flying these days. From what I have read I like the Asus A8N, DFI LANPARTY and the Abit Fatal1ty AN8 is just plain sexy but may be a little tricky for me. Any thoughts greatly appreciated.
3 answers Last reply
More about semi noob mobo suggestions please
  1. Well if you're on the hunt for the best parts, WAIT.

AMD has plans for a socket change this year sometime around august.
    This is only if you want the bleeding egde.

The things that I know of that are coming in the changing are. The socket/pin lay out, processors 3GB? maybe, and memory (DDR2 support).

If your OCing Asus has a easy to use OCing panel and so does Abit. Never used DFI, but they seem to get a fairly decent user rating.

Consider water cooling for you rig too. I say this because of the heat generated by the processor when OCing. swiftech and dangerden make some awsome parts.
  2. I'd also agree on waiting for the new stuff to come out but you can get stuck in a circle where new stuff is always "coming" out soon... :?

The new socket I think is a 940 pin AMD CPU!

If you want a good board I like the MSI range and they do have a lot of options for over clocking.

This is the one I think wil be best:

MSI K8N Neo4 Platinum, nForce4 SLI, 8CH Audio, Gb LAN, 1394, RAID, 2x PCI-e 16X, 1xPCI-e 1X, 1xPCI-e 4X, 4xDual DDR400, 4xSATA.

ASUS also make good mainboards! :wink:
  3. I have an Asus A8N32 SLI. good board but I think ill be upgrading when the 940 comes.
Ask a new question

Read More

Motherboards