HP software won't install

When I try to re-install the drivers for my HP Photosmart 7350, the process
stalls at the point when you are asked to power up the printer and connect
the USB. It times-out and a message comes up saying it cannot communicate
with the printer. Now, I tried it on another machine and the entire process
went without a hitch. I also use the USB ports on my machine for a variety
of peripherals (Bluetooth dongle, flash drives, other printers, etc) without
issue. Can anyone give me a clue why suddenly I cannot get the install to
complete? I am stumped!

bill

"Jeff Hansman" <[nospam]jhansman@pacbell.net> wrote:

>When I try to re-install the drivers for my HP Photosmart 7350, the process
>stalls at the point when you are asked to power up the printer and connect
>the USB. It times-out and a message comes up saying it cannot communicate
>with the printer. Now, I tried it on another machine and the entire process
>went without a hitch. I also use the USB ports on my machine for a variety
>of peripherals (Bluetooth dongle, flash drives, other printers, etc) without
>issue. Can anyone give me a clue why suddenly I cannot get the install to
>complete? I am stumped!

Have you tried un-installing the drivers first, rebooting, and
re-installing again?

Oh yeah. Several times. Frankly, I've tried everything I can think of, so I
was hoping some good soul would see my post and say "Oh, here's what you
do...". The only other thing I can think to do is a fresh install of WinXP,
and I'd rather not.
"Bill" <bill@c.a> wrote in message news:dZedndEpE6p0YR7cRVn-1w@golden.net...
> "Jeff Hansman" <[nospam]jhansman@pacbell.net> wrote:
>
> >When I try to re-install the drivers for my HP Photosmart 7350, the
process
> >stalls at the point when you are asked to power up the printer and
connect
> >the USB. It times-out and a message comes up saying it cannot communicate
> >with the printer. Now, I tried it on another machine and the entire
process
> >went without a hitch. I also use the USB ports on my machine for a
variety
> >of peripherals (Bluetooth dongle, flash drives, other printers, etc)
without
> >issue. Can anyone give me a clue why suddenly I cannot get the install to
> >complete? I am stumped!
>
> Have you tried un-installing the drivers first, rebooting, and
> re-installing again?

bill

"Jeff Hansman" <[nospam]jhansman@pacbell.net> wrote:

>Oh yeah. Several times. Frankly, I've tried everything I can think of, so I
>was hoping some good soul would see my post and say "Oh, here's what you
>do...". The only other thing I can think to do is a fresh install of WinXP,
>and I'd rather not.

Hehehe...sorry I couldn't help more, so I tried to state the obvious as
it is sometimes overlooked. Been there, done that.
:)

Here's another idea...post to Bob Headrick...he's the resident guru for
HP products in this group and usually has a few good suggestions.

Jeff Hansman wrote:
> When I try to re-install the drivers for my HP Photosmart 7350, the process
> stalls at the point when you are asked to power up the printer and connect
> the USB. It times-out and a message comes up saying it cannot communicate
> with the printer. Now, I tried it on another machine and the entire process
> went without a hitch. I also use the USB ports on my machine for a variety
> of peripherals (Bluetooth dongle, flash drives, other printers, etc) without
> issue. Can anyone give me a clue why suddenly I cannot get the install to
> complete? I am stumped!

Maybe you have a corrupt PID key,
http://h10025.www1.hp.com/ewfrf/wc/document?product=72886&lang=en&cc=us&lc=en&dlc=en&docname=bpy20135
or is your monitor resolution set at 800 x 600?

That was it! Once I deleted that reg entry and set my resolution to 1024 x
768, the drivers installed perfectly! THANKS A MILLION!!!

"tomcas" <tomcas@mjwebsitedesign.com> wrote in message
> Jeff Hansman wrote:
> > When I try to re-install the drivers for my HP Photosmart 7350, the
process
> > stalls at the point when you are asked to power up the printer and
connect
> > the USB. It times-out and a message comes up saying it cannot
communicate
> > with the printer. Now, I tried it on another machine and the entire
process
> > went without a hitch. I also use the USB ports on my machine for a
variety
> > of peripherals (Bluetooth dongle, flash drives, other printers, etc)
without
> > issue. Can anyone give me a clue why suddenly I cannot get the install
> > complete? I am stumped!
> >

> Maybe you have a corrupt PID key,

http://h10025.www1.hp.com/ewfrf/wc/document?product=72886&lang=en&cc=us&lc=en&dlc=en&docname=bpy20135
> or is your monitor resolution set at 800 x 600?

Correction. Your suggestion worked to get the drivers reinstalled and the
printer worked find UNTIL I reboot. Then I get a message "unable to start
driver for HPHipm11.exe" which apparently handles the card reader in the
printer. Once that message has appeared, the printer fails to respond to
anything, i.e., calibrations, test page printing, etc. However, the card
reader does show up as a removable drive in Explorer, adn can be accessed
like any other drive. WTF?!!!

"Bill" <bill@c.a> wrote in message news:NdKdndf8vKo73RncRVn-qg@golden.net...

> Here's another idea...post to Bob Headrick...he's the resident guru for
> HP products in this group and usually has a few good suggestions.

Sorry, I do not have any ideas on this one. I actually learned a thing or two
from tomcas about the PID thing....

One thing to try would be to ask in one of the HP forums at:
http://forums1.itrc.hp.com/service/forums/bizsupport/categoryhome.do?categoryId=221
or
http://forums1.itrc.hp.com/service/forums/bizsupport/categoryhome.do?categoryId=419

Regards,

Jeff Hansman wrote:
> Correction. Your suggestion worked to get the drivers reinstalled and the
> printer worked find UNTIL I reboot. Then I get a message "unable to start
> driver for HPHipm11.exe" which apparently handles the card reader in the
> printer. Once that message has appeared, the printer fails to respond to
> anything, i.e., calibrations, test page printing, etc. However, the card
> reader does show up as a removable drive in Explorer, adn can be accessed
> like any other drive. WTF?!!!
> "tomcas" <tomcas@mjwebsitedesign.com> wrote in message
>
>>Jeff Hansman wrote:
>>
>>>When I try to re-install the drivers for my HP Photosmart 7350, the
>
> process
>
>>>stalls at the point when you are asked to power up the printer and
>
> connect
>
>>>the USB. It times-out and a message comes up saying it cannot
>
> communicate
>
>>>with the printer. Now, I tried it on another machine and the entire
>
> process
>
>>>went without a hitch. I also use the USB ports on my machine for a
>
> variety
>
>>>of peripherals (Bluetooth dongle, flash drives, other printers, etc)
>
> without
>
>>>issue. Can anyone give me a clue why suddenly I cannot get the install

>>>complete? I am stumped!
>>>

>>Maybe you have a corrupt PID key,
>>

> http://h10025.www1.hp.com/ewfrf/wc/document?product=72886&lang=en&cc=us&lc=en&dlc=en&docname=bpy20135
>
>>or is your monitor resolution set at 800 x 600?

Are you using the latest driver? You could always try uninstalling and
reinstalling the drivers anyway. Other than that I'd try looking for a
conflict using msconfig.

Yes, I did install the latest drivers after uninstalling the old ones. I was
put on to this site by during an online help session with an HP tech:
http://h10025.www1.hp.com/ewfrf/wc/genericDocument?lc=en&cc=us&docname=c00215712

and tried everything it suggested. I still get the 'unable to start...."
message and feel I've run out of options. No doubt there is some kind of
conflict between ZoneAlarm and the necessary files, but I think I'm down to
a reinstall.