Licensing Help

Archived from groups: microsoft.public.windowsnt.terminalserver.misc (More info?)

Hello,

My company is develpoing an ASP product, that will be accessed through TS
via a browser. What Microsoft licenses do we need to make this work? Is the
Internet Conenctor License an option, and if so, does anyone know the
pricing?

Thanks.

Archived from groups: microsoft.public.windowsnt.terminalserver.misc (More info?)

Depends on which platform you will be running, W2K or 2003.
On 2003, it's called External Connector license. Check the details
here:

Windows Server 2003 Pricing and Licensing FAQ
http://www.microsoft.com/windowsserver2003/howtobuy/licensing/priclic
faq.mspx

--
Vera Noest
http://hem.fyristorg.com/vera/IT

"Giovanni Mateo" <gm@softworks.com> wrote in

> Hello,
>
> My company is develpoing an ASP product, that will be accessed
> through TS via a browser. What Microsoft licenses do we need to
> make this work? Is the Internet Conenctor License an option, and
> if so, does anyone know the pricing?
>
> Thanks.

Archived from groups: microsoft.public.windowsnt.terminalserver.misc (More info?)

Ooops, External Connector licenses doesn't seem to fit your bill.
They are only meant for external users. I think you'll need TS
CALs.

Q. Who qualifies as an External User?

A. An external user is a person who is not an employee, or similar
personnel of the company or its affiliates, and is not someone to
whom you provide hosted services using the server software.

--

"Vera Noest [MVP]" <vera.noest@remove-this.hem.utfors.se> wrote in

> Depends on which platform you will be running, W2K or 2003.
> On 2003, it's called External Connector license. Check the
> details here:
>
> Windows Server 2003 Pricing and Licensing FAQ
> http://www.microsoft.com/windowsserver2003/howtobuy/licensing/
> priclic faq.mspx
>
> --
> Vera Noest
> http://hem.fyristorg.com/vera/IT
> --- please respond in newsgroup, NOT by private email ---
>
> "Giovanni Mateo" <gm@softworks.com> wrote in
>
>> Hello,
>>
>> My company is develpoing an ASP product, that will be accessed
>> through TS via a browser. What Microsoft licenses do we need to
>> make this work? Is the Internet Conenctor License an option,
>> and if so, does anyone know the pricing?
>>
>> Thanks.

Archived from groups: microsoft.public.windowsnt.terminalserver.misc (More info?)

Thanks Vera. I really appreciate your help. It is very important that I
straighten this out.

Here are the details:

1) We are using a Windows 2000 Server to host the application.
2) The product is software that we develop and license.
3) The product is accessed by Terminal Services via a web browser.
4) The users are customers that pay a monthly fee to use the product. The
machines they use to connect are their own responsibility.

Here are some questions:
1) Does the Internet Connector License or External Connector License apply
to our situation?
2) If TS CALs are the way to go, where do we install these? The server or
the client workstations? Does XP and Windows 2000 come with CALs, and if so,
then we do not need to purchase them, correct?
3) IF CALS come with Windows 2000 Server, then how do I determine how many I
already have?

Again, I appreciate your help with this. Thank you very much.

"Vera Noest [MVP]" <vera.noest@remove-this.hem.utfors.se> wrote in message
> Ooops, External Connector licenses doesn't seem to fit your bill.
> They are only meant for external users. I think you'll need TS
> CALs.
>
> Q. Who qualifies as an External User?
>
> A. An external user is a person who is not an employee, or similar
> personnel of the company or its affiliates, and is not someone to
> whom you provide hosted services using the server software.
>
> --
> Vera Noest
> http://hem.fyristorg.com/vera/IT
> --- please respond in newsgroup, NOT by private email ---
>
> "Vera Noest [MVP]" <vera.noest@remove-this.hem.utfors.se> wrote in
>
> > Depends on which platform you will be running, W2K or 2003.
> > On 2003, it's called External Connector license. Check the
> > details here:
> >
> > Windows Server 2003 Pricing and Licensing FAQ
> > http://www.microsoft.com/windowsserver2003/howtobuy/licensing/
> > priclic faq.mspx
> >
> > --
> > Vera Noest
> > MCSE, CCEA, Microsoft MVP - Terminal Server
> > http://hem.fyristorg.com/vera/IT
> > --- please respond in newsgroup, NOT by private email ---
> >
> > "Giovanni Mateo" <gm@softworks.com> wrote in
> >
> >> Hello,
> >>
> >> My company is develpoing an ASP product, that will be accessed
> >> through TS via a browser. What Microsoft licenses do we need to
> >> make this work? Is the Internet Conenctor License an option,
> >> and if so, does anyone know the pricing?
> >>
> >> Thanks.

Archived from groups: microsoft.public.windowsnt.terminalserver.misc (More info?)

If you want to be 100 % sure, I'd phone Microsoft, to avoid any
legal issues. But I'm pretty sure that your users are "someone to
whom you provide hosted services using the server software", and
thereby *not* external users.

TS CALs are installed on a TS Licensing Server. Since your TS runs
Windows 2000, then the TS Licensing Server *must* run on your
Domain Controller.
When a client connects to the TS, the TS requests a TS CAL from
the TS Licensing Server and issues it to the client (so the
clients are never in direct contact with the TS Licensing Server,
only with the TS itself).

Clients that run W2K Pro or XP Pro receive a free TS CAL from the
TS Licensing Server. All other clients need a purchased TS CAL.
It's up to you to monitor how many TS CALs are still available in
TS Licensing Manager. When you notice that you are running out of
available TS CALs, you have to install more.

Windows 2000 Terminal Services Licensing FAQ
http://www.microsoft.com/windows2000/server/howtobuy/pricing/tsfaq
..asp

Windows 2000 Terminal Services Licensing White paper
http://www.microsoft.com/windows2000/techinfo/howitworks/terminal/
tslicensing.asp

--

> Thanks Vera. I really appreciate your help. It is very important
> that I straighten this out.
>
> Here are the details:
>
> 1) We are using a Windows 2000 Server to host the application.
> 2) The product is software that we develop and license.
> 3) The product is accessed by Terminal Services via a web
> browser.
> 4) The users are customers that pay a monthly fee to
> use the product. The machines they use to connect are their own
> responsibility.
>
> Here are some questions:
> 1) Does the Internet Connector License or External Connector
> License apply to our situation?
> 2) If TS CALs are the way to go, where do we install these? The
> server or the client workstations? Does XP and Windows 2000 come
> with CALs, and if so, then we do not need to purchase them,
> correct?
> 3) IF CALS come with Windows 2000 Server, then how do I
> determine how many I already have?
>
> Again, I appreciate your help with this. Thank you very much.
>

> "Vera Noest [MVP]" <vera.noest@remove-this.hem.utfors.se> wrote
> in message
>> Ooops, External Connector licenses doesn't seem to fit your
>> bill. They are only meant for external users. I think you'll
>> need TS CALs.
>>
>> Q. Who qualifies as an External User?
>>
>> A. An external user is a person who is not an employee, or
>> similar personnel of the company or its affiliates, and is not
>> someone to whom you provide hosted services using the server
>> software.
>>
>> --
>> Vera Noest
>> MCSE, CCEA, Microsoft MVP - Terminal Server
>> http://hem.fyristorg.com/vera/IT
>> --- please respond in newsgroup, NOT by private email ---
>>
>> "Vera Noest [MVP]" <vera.noest@remove-this.hem.utfors.se> wrote
>> in news:Xns94DFEE3F2584Fveranoesthemutforsse@207.46.248.16:
>>
>> > Depends on which platform you will be running, W2K or 2003.
>> > On 2003, it's called External Connector license. Check the
>> > details here:
>> >
>> > Windows Server 2003 Pricing and Licensing FAQ

http://www.microsoft.com/windowsserver2003/howtobuy/licensing/
>> > priclic faq.mspx
>> >
>> > --
>> > Vera Noest
>> > MCSE, CCEA, Microsoft MVP - Terminal Server
>> > http://hem.fyristorg.com/vera/IT
>> > --- please respond in newsgroup, NOT by private email ---
>> >
>> > "Giovanni Mateo" <gm@softworks.com> wrote in

Archived from groups: microsoft.public.windowsnt.terminalserver.misc (More info?)

Thanks for your help Vera. Any idea on how to contact Microsoft by
telephone?

> [...]
> >> bill. They are only meant for external users. I think you'll
> >> need TS CALs.
> >>
> >> Q. Who qualifies as an External User?
> >>
> >> A. An external user is a person who is not an employee, or
> >> similar personnel of the company or its affiliates, and is not
> >> someone to whom you provide hosted services using the server
> >> software.
> >>
> >> --
> >> Vera Noest
> >> MCSE, CCEA, Microsoft MVP - Terminal Server
> >> http://hem.fyristorg.com/vera/IT
> >> --- please respond in newsgroup, NOT by private email ---
> >>
> >> "Vera Noest [MVP]" <vera.noest@remove-this.hem.utfors.se> wrote
> >> in news:Xns94DFEE3F2584Fveranoesthemutforsse@207.46.248.16:

> http://www.microsoft.com/windowsserver2003/howtobuy/licensing/

Archived from groups: microsoft.public.windowsnt.terminalserver.misc (More info?)

;CNTACTMS]http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=fh;[LN];CNTACTMS

You could also contact a local Microsoft reseller.