Soyo SY-KT600 Dragon Plus v2.0...BIOS problems..HELP!!!

OK....First off, heres what I am running...

AthlonXP 3300+ 32bit (using the "boxed" fan)
400 watt Power supply.
Radeon Pro 9800 256mb
Onboard sound/LAN

I have been trying to upgrade the BIOS on this board since i got it a few months back. I have downloaded the latest BIOS as well as the flash software from the Soyo website. When I go to flash the board, I get the following error message...

Error 20- Flash ROM cannot be correctly programmed.
Disable USB.

I have gone into the BIOS and disabled all USB functionality, and I still get the error mesage. I dont know what to do, can anyone help me get pointed in the right direction, Soyo tech support has yet to respond to my many emails.

I have two of these boards, and they both are having the same issues, I will list some....

-Comp loses "view' of hard-drives. Sometime I can just reboot, other times I have to go in to the BIOS and manually reset the harddrives. Othwer times I even have to clear the CMOS and redo the whole BIOS setup to get it to "see" my drives.

-I hear a fairly loud "click" coming from my computer box, followed by a complete lockup of my system for anywhere from 5 seconds to infinite (reboot). I have switched out hard-drives, and it does this with each one.

-WindowsXP will suddenly treat a large percentage of my installed programs as "newly installed" programs. (I get the "new Programs Installed" message).

-Unexpectedly Reboots itself.

Those are the main problems, PLEASE help if you can...I am about out of options.
4 answers Last reply
More about soyo kt600 dragon bios problems help
  1. None of your problems really sound like a BIOS problem. Rather, it sounds like you either have a crappy power supply or a failing hard drive, or BOTH, which would be really unfortunate.
  2. I actually agree, I have been researching this for a few days now, I am going to have my power supply tested this afternoon.

As for the BIOS, I still need to get it upgraded for the board to recognize my CPU properly.
  3. I'm fairly sure the system BIOS configuration screen has an option such as "BIOS Write Protect" which is called something else. This would need to be turned off.
  4. I had my power supply tested, it looks fine. AFter i put it back in my system it seems to be working, I will find out for sure tonight when I get online for some gaming. If it does crash again I am planning to go buy a power supply and try it for a few days to see if it fixes things. i can always return it if needed.

i will check the BIoS for the Write Protect feature, the thing is though, when I have tried to flash it before, it specifically says to disable the USB.

/baffle.
Ask a new question

Read More

BIOS Soyo Motherboards