Canon MP7xx

I have a Canon i550 and am quite happy with it, I like the separate
tanks, and see the Canon Multipass series uses the same tanks, except
more of them for better photos. Well, OK.

I have someone who wants an all-in-one unit primarily for the copying
capability. Any comments on how these units copy?

And, it would be nice to use it for an occassional fax, incoming and
outgoing. I just looked at the manual for the MP730, it has an
"answering machine mode", but I wonder two things:

* While in this mode, do you ever hear the phone ring?

* If the unit is left powered off, will it auto-power-on
from an incoming fax? I don't see anything about auto-power
features like the i550, but I assume they're there?!?!

I also see it's already superceded by the MP780.

Any other general comments welcomed.

Thanks!

Josh
2 answers Last reply
More about canon mp7xx

    I just purchased the Canon MP390. Although it doesn't have an autoloader
    for multipile copies, it does a fine job at all its tasks.
    Photo printing is very good for an all-in-one. The fax works well, too.
    Although, if the printer is off it won't turn on for an incoming fax.

    The price is right, too. I got it for $149 with a $20 rebate.

    Anyway, hope this helps.

    In article <jhm7o0h1f0o2v64c32hln6d4nqhd3mq84j@4ax.com>,
    JXSternChangeX2R@gte.net says...
    > I have a Canon i550 and am quite happy with it, I like the separate
    > tanks, and see the Canon Multipass series uses the same tanks, except
    > more of them for better photos. Well, OK.
    >
    > I have someone who wants an all-in-one unit primarily for the copying
    > capability. Any comments on how these units copy?
    >
    > And, it would be nice to use it for an occassional fax, incoming and
    > outgoing. I just looked at the manual for the MP730, it has an
    > "answering machine mode", but I wonder two things:
    >
    > * While in this mode, do you ever hear the phone ring?
    >
    > * If the unit is left powered off, will it auto-power-on
    > from an incoming fax? I don't see anything about auto-power
    > features like the i550, but I assume they're there?!?!
    >
    > I also see it's already superceded by the MP780.
    >
    > Any other general comments welcomed.
    >
    > Thanks!
    >
    > Josh

    Josh,

    Just last week I purchased a MP730 from Staples. I will check the
    manual to answer your first question, but I would expect you would hear
    the phone ring before it transferred it to the external answering
    machine.

    The unit's default ON-OFF state is ON. It does have an ON-OFF switch.
    But, it essentially goes into a "sleep mode" after a programmable time
    frame and only powers up for any incoming fax, output of a print job
    from the PC, or scan. The copy quality is also very good.

    As you correctly state, the MP730 had been superceded by the new PIXMA
    MP780. I had a chance to see a new MP780 prior to the purchase of the
    MP730. Frankly, I didn't like it as well, and it appears to be more
    geared to photo printing. The MP730 appears to be more ruggedly built.

    After only a week of service, but rather thorough service, I wouldn't
    hesitate to recommend the MP730. The PC-based FAX software with the
    unit also works extremely well. The OS here is WinXP Home SP2, and no
    glitches whatsoever.

    Don

Printers Canon Peripherals