Dunn-Hatani

Distinguished
Jan 4, 2006
I've got a bit of an older system running:
AMD Athalon XP 1700+ at 1.09GHz (not overclocked)
1 stick of 512 DDR400 and a 128 stick
ASUS A7V8X MoBo
Maxtor 200gig PATA and WDC 40gig PATA
ATI Radeon 9200 128ram

So here's my problem....I recently installed a dialup modem into my first PCI slot due to the lack of DSL availability. Everything was working fine (CPU was overclocked at the time)until I returned from my vacation 2 weeks later. My roomate tells me that there was a power outage and he couldn't get it to power up again. I messed around with unplugging the power cord and pulling the battery and pushing the power button to reset the bios which got it to power on. It loads windows just fine and it seems to be functioning fine until I dial up to the internet. About 11 seconds after the modem has made a conncetion the whole system just looses power. I wasn't sure at fist that it was related to the modem but I left the computer on for days just to see and it only happend when I dialed the modem. Although today I tried to install a program from a disk through my DVD+RW DL drive and it loaded the autorun install menu but once I chose one of the programs to install it did the same as with the modem. I could however copy all of the files on the disk to my HDD and install that way just fine. I am afraid that I didn't know enough when I was overclocking and may have damaged either my RAM or CPU. I hope this is enough info for someone to be able to help me out. Thanks so much.
Nathan

pat

Expert
By the way, your ATHLON 1700+ should run stock a 1.46 GHz. running at 1.1 GHz means that the FSB is set a 100. Normal FSB operation for Athlon Xp should be 133.
Try to use one stick at the time, to rule out bad memory.

Dunn-Hatani

Distinguished
Jan 4, 2006
Thanks for that advice....I am here at CES 2006 and visited the AMD booth to ask them the question as well. I described the problem to the tech that was there and he said that I should also try changing the power supply even thought the one I have is a 600w supply it is a kinda cheap one. I will try what you have suggested first. Thanks so much for your help....I will let you know how it goes. Thanks again.
Nathan