DDR-ram volt compability.

oevindf

Distinguished
Jan 4, 2006
Hello,

is it possible to use 2.6V ram on a motherboard that supports 2.5V ram?
I'm wondering, since the cost of memory modules is sinking as we/I speak, and it would be great with a little more than 512MB ram in my computer.

Thanks.

KillerShoe

Distinguished
Jan 4, 2006
I am almost postive the awnser is yes but your motherboard will have to be able to increase the ram voltage. The increase in voltages is more than likely for tight timings and if you dont care about the timings stock voltage should be fine. I have 2 corsair 2-3-3-6 1gig modules and I have to run them at 2.75V. I would research it some more but you should be fine.

oevindf

Distinguished
Jan 4, 2006
If the memory modules standard clock runs at 400mhz, can it be run on 200mhz?

All this memory stuff makes me confused. does the motherboard set limits for the Ram clock frequency, or is it the module itself?

Crashman

Polypheme
Former Staff
OMG! There isn't any 200MHz DDR memory, DDR400 runs at 200MHz. 400MHz is a data rate, calculated by multiplying the clock rate of 200MHz by TWO.

Now you can run DDR400 at DDR200, which would be 100MHz, but I can't think of any reason to do so :p

oevindf

Distinguished
Jan 4, 2006
Well, I've got a problem here.
I ordered two matched twinmos modules, and installed them properly. In total, it should be 2GB of memory at the moment, but in the 'options' section it says 1GB.
My motherboard supports up to 2GB memory, so I can't think of any problems.
Any solutions to my problem?

Crashman

Polypheme
Former Staff
Some older systems have trouble with the density of some newer RAM, reading it at fractional sizes (half, quarter, even eighth).

Of course if you were running a Compaq, HP, or IBM, you'd have other limitations.