Speed, Broadcom 802.11g and Intel PRO/2200BG?

Hello,

Hope some of you folks can help me out and thanks in advance!

I just got this Acer laptop with a Broadcom 802.11g wireless card built in!
I also had a Toshiba ,which my husband is using now, which has an Intel pro
2200BG built in! We are running a wireless home network using a D-link
DI-624 http://www.dlink.com/products/?pid=6. Now, with the Toshiba which is
a year old I get a speed of 2200-2500 kbps whan next to the router and in
the 1700kbps when in my office upstairs! The new Acer hardly gets 1400 kbps
when next to the router and 400-600 kbps when upstairs!!

I assumed before buying that the Acer should perform better, or at lease the
same, knowing that it had a dedicated G card unlike the Toshiba which has a
B/G card! Do I have a faulty card or is this just a matter of settings? It
is new so I can always take it back or replace it! Thank you for your time
and hope to hear from you!

Lisa.

Dave

Distinguished
Jun 25, 2003

take them both back! 802.11g sitting next to the router should be 54Mbps!
if you are only getting 2500kbps thats horrible!

"Lisa" <Saranot1976@BADhotmail.com> wrote in message
> Hello,
>
> Hope some of you folks can help me out and thanks in advance!
>
> I just got this Acer laptop with a Broadcom 802.11g wireless card built
> in! I also had a Toshiba ,which my husband is using now, which has an
> Intel pro 2200BG built in! We are running a wireless home network using a
> D-link DI-624 http://www.dlink.com/products/?pid=6. Now, with the Toshiba
> which is a year old I get a speed of 2200-2500 kbps whan next to the
> router and in the 1700kbps when in my office upstairs! The new Acer hardly
> gets 1400 kbps when next to the router and 400-600 kbps when upstairs!!
>
> I assumed before buying that the Acer should perform better, or at lease
> the same, knowing that it had a dedicated G card unlike the Toshiba which
> has a B/G card! Do I have a faulty card or is this just a matter of
> settings? It is new so I can always take it back or replace it! Thank you
> for your time and hope to hear from you!
>
> Lisa.

Mac

Sorry, Maybe I did not explain myself right! I am talking about internet
speed when checking that with online utilities such as CNET "bandwidth
meter"! As for the 54Mbps, that I don't know and I honestly don't care about
as I don't have a real network at home and I don't do much of file sharing
if any!

"Dave" <noone@nowhere.com> wrote in message
> take them both back! 802.11g sitting next to the router should be 54Mbps!
> if you are only getting 2500kbps thats horrible!
>
> "Lisa" <Saranot1976@BADhotmail.com> wrote in message
>> Hello,
>>
>> Hope some of you folks can help me out and thanks in advance!
>>
>> I just got this Acer laptop with a Broadcom 802.11g wireless card built
>> in! I also had a Toshiba ,which my husband is using now, which has an
>> Intel pro 2200BG built in! We are running a wireless home network using a
>> D-link DI-624 http://www.dlink.com/products/?pid=6. Now, with the
>> Toshiba which is a year old I get a speed of 2200-2500 kbps whan next to
>> the router and in the 1700kbps when in my office upstairs! The new Acer
>> hardly gets 1400 kbps when next to the router and 400-600 kbps when
>> upstairs!!
>>
>> I assumed before buying that the Acer should perform better, or at lease
>> the same, knowing that it had a dedicated G card unlike the Toshiba which
>> has a B/G card! Do I have a faulty card or is this just a matter of
>> settings? It is new so I can always take it back or replace it! Thank you
>> for your time and hope to hear from you!
>>
>> Lisa.

Jack

Distinguished
Jun 26, 2003

Hi
Make sure that the Wireless drivers are not set to 802.11b only.
Might be that the TCP/IP Stack need to be optimized.
http://www.ezlan.net/Internet_Speed.html
Jack (MVP-Networking).

"mac" <Saranot1976@BADhotmail.com> wrote in message
> Sorry, Maybe I did not explain myself right! I am talking about internet
> speed when checking that with online utilities such as CNET "bandwidth
> meter"! As for the 54Mbps, that I don't know and I honestly don't care
about
> as I don't have a real network at home and I don't do much of file sharing
> if any!
>

> "Dave" <noone@nowhere.com> wrote in message
> > take them both back! 802.11g sitting next to the router should be
54Mbps!
> > if you are only getting 2500kbps thats horrible!
> >
> > "Lisa" <Saranot1976@BADhotmail.com> wrote in message
> >> Hello,
> >>
> >> Hope some of you folks can help me out and thanks in advance!
> >>
> >> I just got this Acer laptop with a Broadcom 802.11g wireless card built
> >> in! I also had a Toshiba ,which my husband is using now, which has an
> >> Intel pro 2200BG built in! We are running a wireless home network using
> >> D-link DI-624 http://www.dlink.com/products/?pid=6. Now, with the
> >> Toshiba which is a year old I get a speed of 2200-2500 kbps whan next
> >> the router and in the 1700kbps when in my office upstairs! The new Acer
> >> hardly gets 1400 kbps when next to the router and 400-600 kbps when
> >> upstairs!!
> >>
> >> I assumed before buying that the Acer should perform better, or at
lease
> >> the same, knowing that it had a dedicated G card unlike the Toshiba
which
> >> has a B/G card! Do I have a faulty card or is this just a matter of
> >> settings? It is new so I can always take it back or replace it! Thank
you
> >> for your time and hope to hear from you!
> >>
> >> Lisa.

TRENDING THREADS