Folders just keep appearing

Ben

Distinguished
Dec 31, 2007

I've deleted some folders from My Documents over time,
but they keep popping up again. They include My eBooks,
which I didn't create, and Ben's Malarkey which I did. I
can only guess theres a program that used them once, that
keeps re-creating them. How can I stop them coming back.
thanks

Ben

Hi Ben,

My eBooks is a part of Adobe Acrobat Reader. Here is a method to prevent the
folder from being recreated. Courtesy of Wesley Vogel:
http://www.mvps.org/sramesh2k/myebooks.htm

--
Ramesh, Microsoft MVP
Window XP Shell/User

"Ben" <anonymous@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
I've deleted some folders from My Documents over time,
but they keep popping up again. They include My eBooks,
which I didn't create, and Ben's Malarkey which I did. I
can only guess theres a program that used them once, that
keeps re-creating them. How can I stop them coming back.
thanks

Ben

Is there a way to prevent 'my pictures' from re-appearing all the time as
well?

> Hi Ben,
>
> My eBooks is a part of Adobe Acrobat Reader. Here is a method to prevent
the
> folder from being recreated. Courtesy of Wesley Vogel:
> http://www.mvps.org/sramesh2k/myebooks.htm
>
> --
> Ramesh, Microsoft MVP
> Window XP Shell/User
> http://www.mvps.org/sramesh2k
>

> "Ben" <anonymous@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> I've deleted some folders from My Documents over time,
> but they keep popping up again. They include My eBooks,
> which I didn't create, and Ben's Malarkey which I did. I
> can only guess theres a program that used them once, that
> keeps re-creating them. How can I stop them coming back.
> thanks
>
> Ben

Ben

Distinguished
Dec 31, 2007

Great, thanks Ramesh, I'll do that. Any ideas about the
Ben's Malarkey file? From memory I think I used this
instead of My Documents. I've tried opening programs and
checking to see if it appears again, but I've not found
the culprit yet.

thanks
Ben

No direct method, not possible via the user interface. But, here is a way
(I've not tested it yet):

Ramesh, Microsoft MVP
Window XP Shell/User
http://www.mvps.org/sramesh2k

"Gareth Tuckwell" <ContactGT@NoSpam_hotmail.com> wrote in message
Is there a way to prevent 'my pictures' from re-appearing all the time as
well?

> Hi Ben,
>
> My eBooks is a part of Adobe Acrobat Reader. Here is a method to prevent
the
> folder from being recreated. Courtesy of Wesley Vogel:
> http://www.mvps.org/sramesh2k/myebooks.htm
>
> --
> Ramesh, Microsoft MVP
> Window XP Shell/User
> http://www.mvps.org/sramesh2k
>

> "Ben" <anonymous@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> I've deleted some folders from My Documents over time,
> but they keep popping up again. They include My eBooks,
> which I didn't create, and Ben's Malarkey which I did. I
> can only guess theres a program that used them once, that
> keeps re-creating them. How can I stop them coming back.
> thanks
>
> Ben

Ben

Distinguished
Dec 31, 2007

Just tried that method for both my rogue files. It seems
to have worked, but you are left with a faded-out text
file.
Ben

in message
>> Hi Ben,
>>
>> My eBooks is a part of Adobe Acrobat Reader. Here is a
method to prevent
>the
>> folder from being recreated. Courtesy of Wesley Vogel:
>> http://www.mvps.org/sramesh2k/myebooks.htm
>>
>> --
>> Ramesh, Microsoft MVP
>> Window XP Shell/User
>> http://www.mvps.org/sramesh2k
>>

>> "Ben" <anonymous@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in
message
>> I've deleted some folders from My Documents over time,
>> but they keep popping up again. They include My eBooks,
>> which I didn't create, and Ben's Malarkey which I did.
>> can only guess theres a program that used them once,
that
>> keeps re-creating them. How can I stop them coming
back.
>> thanks
>>
>> Ben
>>

>.

No idea about that file :(

--

Great, thanks Ramesh, I'll do that. Any ideas about the
Ben's Malarkey file? From memory I think I used this
instead of My Documents. I've tried opening programs and
checking to see if it appears again, but I've not found
the culprit yet.

thanks
Ben

Ben

Distinguished
Dec 31, 2007

Unfortunately the mnethood you linked to hasn't worked.
I've tried it several times and slightly different ways
in case I was doing it wrong. But no luck!

After moving the ebooks.api file, you need to delete the ebooks folder once
manually. It won't be recreated again. If it does, you may also try
contacting Adobe techs in case they have a workaround for this.

--

Unfortunately the mnethood you linked to hasn't worked.
I've tried it several times and slightly different ways
in case I was doing it wrong. But no luck!

Make the file super-hidden (attrib +s +h <filename>) and hide the operating
system protected files in Folder options.

--

Just tried that method for both my rogue files. It seems
to have worked, but you are left with a faded-out text
file.
Ben

Will do, but I'm not sure what (attrib +s +h <filename>)
means.

ta

Attrib command to be used to hide (super-hide) a file/folder. Type Attrib /?
in the Command Prompt for more information.

--
Ramesh, Microsoft MVP
Window XP Shell/User

Will do, but I'm not sure what (attrib +s +h <filename>)
means.

ta

Ben

Distinguished
Dec 31, 2007

Checked that out in command prompt Ramesh, had a few
goes, but I'm a real novice at this. The file paths are
like C:\My documents\My eBooks. So what specifically do I
type into the command prompt? Thanks a lot.
Ben :eek:)

The 'My documents' folder doesn't live at the root (C:\) of the drive, but
a few folders inside your 'Documents and settings' folder'

Type the following line and make sure you replace 'username' with your
correct name (search in windows explorer first and you can just copy the
address line at the top). When working in DOS, any filenames with spaces in
*must* be used inside quotes, otherwise DOS thinks they are separate files.
Here's your line (case doesn't matter)...

attrib +h +s "C:\Documents and Settings\username\My Documents\My eBooks"

Don't forget to switch off system files in Explorer - "Tools->Folder
Options" menu, View tab, find "Hide Protected Operating System Files" in the
list and tick it.

Bye bye nasty folders!!

> Checked that out in command prompt Ramesh, had a few
> goes, but I'm a real novice at this. The file paths are
> like C:\My documents\My eBooks. So what specifically do I
> type into the command prompt? Thanks a lot.
> Ben :eek:)

TRENDING THREADS