Distinguished
Dec 16, 2005
I recently built a new computer and included:
a Pentium D 820
1 gig of PC2-3200(iknow i skimped out)
300W power supply (came with case)
regular cd/dvd burners, nothing special
and i splurged on a Geforce 7800 GTX512

I just finished installing lost coast and performed the video stress test all maxed at 1920x1440. I got a vary good framerate at 66fps. Then i wanted to see how far it could really go, so i put everything at vary lowest settings at 640x480. At the end of the stress test, I got about 68FPS. Since there was little performance diffrence in the two I figured something is bottlenecking at 68 or so fps but im not sure if it is the CPU, MEM, PSU, a combination thereof, or even all of the above. Any tips would be appreciated! :D

xXDracoXx

Distinguished
Dec 16, 2005
300W PSU with a GTX 512??? I suggest you changed that before something fries. Ummm...maybe your Vsync is on^^;;;? (is no genious in the matter)

sallad

Distinguished
Dec 16, 2005
I have Vsync turned off and the 300 W PSU seems to do pretty well but it might be starving my card. BTW a 4800 would take a new mobo and I dont want to spend that much on my comp after spending that much on the video card.

lafontma

Distinguished
Jan 4, 2006
While it can be debated on the quality of the PS if you do the math, most system DO NOT need more than 300 watts of power..

If you do any research, you will see that the total for his system is prb around 250 watts..

This hype about 400-500 watts PS is just vendor overkill

Running a quality 300 watt PS with basically same kind of setup except for an Athlon and my mesured (yes I mesured) power consumption is 235 watts under load..

My 2 cents..

BTW in the bottleneck is prb the CPU as mentionned

bourgeoisdude

Distinguished
Dec 15, 2005
While it can be debated on the quality of the PS if you do the math, most system DO NOT need more than 300 watts of power..

If you do any research, you will see that the total for his system is prb around 250 watts..

Running a quality 300 watt PS with basically same kind of setup except for an Athlon and my mesured (yes I mesured) power consumption is 235 watts under load..

My 2 cents..

BTW in the bottleneck is prb the CPU as mentionned

First of all he is using a P4 820, so it uses about 305 Watts AT IDLE. Secondly, the processor is not the bottleneck unless he has a less than sufficient cooling solution for it. May sound silly, but disable Hyperthreading and see if you get better performance. HT usually slows down games and is optomized primarily for multitasking.

If that doesn't help cpu has nothing to do with it...its either your mobo drivers or possibly video drivers. You definately need a bigger PSU for this config though...

margag_

Distinguished
Oct 24, 2005
like the otherS i strongly approve that your psu need to be changed fast....

by the way wattage in psu is an average for all the llines in it 3v 12v ect...

what really matters for the video card is the amperes. you should have at least 15 amps on the 12v line to be safe for the vidcard.

an amp is a power production rate of 1 watt per volt.

even if the 7800gtx512 is less power ungry than it's predecessor you need a good 12v lline to feed it. Some site advertise it to gulp up to 100w
by itself.

a good psu is not expensive and will protect your system by maintaining the ohm's law balance. If you starve the card or cpu of voltage the AMPS AND HEAT WILL ROCKET SKY HIGH AND FRY SOMETHING.

Hope it help you understand electricity.

Rabidpeanut

Distinguished
Dec 14, 2005
Either get a new power supply or sell you disk drives.

The glass is neither half full nor half empty, the glass is twice the size it needs to be.

margag_

Distinguished
Oct 24, 2005
who needs disk drive anyway ?

maybe lafontma could get a LaCie bigdisk with a external power supply
and win his point + :twisted:

unsmart

Distinguished
Dec 30, 2005
check for a patch or update for the game and card, also some driver setting force image quality[vsync] set it to performance or by app what ever you have in driver. 3dmark05[free demo] score is a better test of cards performance,and SiSoftware Sandra 2005[free trial] will give a full system rating.

unsmart

Distinguished
Dec 30, 2005
what is the stress test your running ? Some games limit frame rates[doom3 I think]. If you had a bottleneck in hardware low settings would still be faster. It can reach highest setting so it's getting the data though put it needs. Your system is above any min for any game[psu is under power imo]. Fraps[free] will give in game fps,try that on a few games with diffrent settings. Change refresh rate, see if that changes fps.

JayMan

Distinguished
Mar 31, 2005
PSU make a big differnece

Most being the opperate phase

I would not consider your systym to be in the most catorgary
check out this link and you will be pritty suprised at how hunry you PC accualy is

a 7800GTX 256 needs 118watts
http://www.extreme.outervision.com/index.jsp

i have a
Athlon 64 4000+
geforce 6800
1 gig ram
creative x-fi

had a 300watt
put a 500watt in and my PC's performance increased by more than 10% and it became extremly stable

Quiksilver-1

Distinguished
Dec 31, 2005
PSU make a big differnece

Most being the opperate phase

I would not consider your systym to be in the most catorgary
check out this link and you will be pritty suprised at how hunry you PC accualy is

a 7800GTX 256 needs 118watts
http://www.extreme.outervision.com/index.jsp

i have a
Athlon 64 4000+
geforce 6800
1 gig ram
creative x-fi

had a 300watt
put a 500watt in and my PC's performance increased by more than 10% and it became extremly stable

A vendor OC'd 7800GTX (490Mhz) 256. is
118 Watts.

His processor
Intel D 820 Smithfield core is 130Watts.

He also said PC2-3200 which is ddr2 RAM
1 stick of ddrr2 ram 7 watts. or 14 watts for rwo stick...

Total so far with 1 stick of ddr2 ram si 255Watts... or two stick of ddr2 ram 262Watts.

Now if start to include his mobo, harddrive, floppy drive, sound card, additional pci cards, optical drives, case fans , and additional case mods.

By then he is Well over 300watts that his PSU can support.

His PSU is probaly also operating a t a less than 70% efficientcy and is also well below the recommened amount of amps that should be supplied
on 12V rails.

So his psu is definitley a problem.

I recommend getting a new psu atleast 400watts and above.
also make sure you have all your drivers, chipsets, and BIOS up to date wiht the most recent installments.

I'd first say to make sure "vsync" is "Off" in the advanced driver settings...

And the recommended PS for a single GTX512 is 350 watts, with 280 watts peak being drawn during typical gameplay; although it doesnt sound like you are suffering from reboots/freezes yet...

The Pentium D's require some juice as well...be careful with that PS, I'd change it for a 500+ watter ASAP