Woman Sentenced in Global Computer Hacking Scheme

Status
Not open for further replies.
9,000,000 - 89,000 = 8911000 / 2 years = 4,455,500 per year ... Not a bad haul for 2 years in prison. If i had 9 million dollars waiting for me when i got out. I would spend every day of that 2 years in prison with a smile on my face.

sa1nt

Distinguished
Jul 8, 2010
[citation][nom]viper666[/nom]no photo of the woman[/citation]
Yes , was she hot !?
Because now we can't know is the sentence too long or too short.

altriss

Honorable
Jun 19, 2012
BAnj got what they deserve!
% years ago an english researcher found a weakness into Credit Card system, then he called the banks to alert them. All he got was trial and then jail to make him shut up. Just because it would have been too expensive to change the whole system...
Not a surprise people found the weakness and use it.
By the way even if FBI is powerfull, if the women put the money in some foreign bank account, the 9 millions $ should still be there.

[citation][nom]nieur[/nom]sentence is too short looking at the crime[/citation]
Honestly I don't think so, she got 9 millions, tell me how much banks lost in subprime crisis? Billions if I recall right, and they didn't pay anything for that.
In fact that sentence is pretty hard relatively speaking...

BringMeAnother

Honorable
Apr 22, 2012
[citation][nom]sa1nt[/nom]Yes , was she hot !?Because now we can't know is the sentence too long or too short.[/citation]
Haha, the guy was joking. No need to give him a thumb down for that.

lamorpa

Distinguished
Apr 30, 2008
[citation][nom]altriss[/nom]...years ago an english researcher found a weakness into Credit Card system, then he called the banks to alert them. All he got was trial and then jail to make him shut up. ...[/citation]
You do know this is a urban legend, right?

igot1forya

Distinguished
Jun 27, 2008
[citation][nom]geeksinhere23[/nom]get pay 9 millions to stay in jail for 2 years. I like it.[/citation]
Actually the article states that her crew was responsible for only $80,000 stolen in Chicago. So in reality, she pays back $89,120.25 in restitution's and gets 2 and a half years in prison. Seems fare to me as it was a net loss by all accounts.

freggo

Distinguished
Nov 22, 2008
That's what is wrong with the system.... all she gets is 2 years !
This is not some 'petty theft'; but very organized crime.
She should get at least 20 years !

freggo

Distinguished
Nov 22, 2008
[citation][nom]idroid[/nom]+1 to this woman, if i had the ability to hack ATM to withdraw all the money i want i'd do it without even thinking about it![/citation]

Thanks for making my point. 2 years is not even remotely enough.
I'd put you away for 20+; also I'd be open to a more drastic solution :)

master_chen

Honorable
Jun 20, 2012
Is it just me, or does the article's title sound REALLY sexist?
Because it means that "female" hacker got sentenced, thus it makes a point on that it's a "woman" in the first place, and not that it's a hacker, clearly implying that "female hacker" is something outrageous, rare and unlikely. Very chauvinistic and sexist, IMHO.

cookoy

Distinguished
Aug 3, 2009
She's just part of the cashing crew, going from ATM to ATM to withdraw cash, and not the real hacker brains. Not much different from the mistresses of the filthy rich DOMs.

buckcm

Distinguished
Oct 20, 2009
[citation][nom]master_chen[/nom]Is it just me, or does the article's title sound REALLY sexist?Because it means that "female" hacker got sentenced, thus it makes a point on that it's a "woman" in the first place, and not that it's a hacker, clearly implying that "female hacker" is something outrageous, rare and unlikely. Very chauvinistic and sexist, IMHO.[/citation]
In your feminist opinion.

gm0n3y

Distinguished
Mar 13, 2006
Did people not read the article? She didn't get anywhere near $9 million. The cell she was working with racked in a whole $80k. So even if she managed to keep half of that ($40k), she ended up paying almost $90k in fines to the court. So she is PAYING at least $50k to be in prison for 2 years. Come on people, READ THE ARTICLE BEFORE COMMENTING!

buckcm

Distinguished
Oct 20, 2009
[citation][nom]gm0n3y[/nom]Did people not read the article? She didn't get anywhere near $9 million. The cell she was working with racked in a whole $80k. So even if she managed to keep half of that ($40k), she ended up paying almost $90k in fines to the court. So she is PAYING at least $50k to be in prison for 2 years. Come on people, READ THE ARTICLE BEFORE COMMENTING![/citation]
Definitely not worth it. Having a felony on her record is going to hurt a lot in 2 years when she looks for work.

joebob2000

Distinguished
Sep 20, 2006
[citation][nom]buckcm[/nom]Definitely not worth it. Having a felony on her record is going to hurt a lot in 2 years when she looks for work.[/citation]

Looking for work? Her skank immigrant ass better get deported after she gets out of the slammer. If I were the judge, deportation to Nigeria and revocation of any international passport would have been the sentence. Let her rot with the rest of the cutthroat thieves over there. She had the opportunity to come to the US and make a different life for herself based on honesty and hard work, and she decided to steal her way to the top instead.

Before anyone calls me a racist, I am perfectly welcoming of different peoples and cultures to the US, but if you want to use your chance at opportunity on this nonsense I have NO mercy for you and you have NO place in my country.

dalethepcman

Distinguished
Jul 1, 2010
$90k and 2 years is light

Consider $500 maximum per withdrawal from an ATM machine, $500 theft is a felony in Chicago, so for the sake of making this the lightest sentence possible lets assume they withdrew $300 each attempt to keep it at the misdemeanor level. $90k/$300=300. Her group was responsible for 300 fraudulent withdrawals.

Recommended punishment for repeat offense of misdemeanor theft in Illinois is 1-3 years + $2500 / crime. 300-900 years in prison + $750k in fines.

She got off easy.

Status
Not open for further replies.

TRENDING THREADS