Activated Terminal Services License Server Not Issuing Per..

Archived from groups: microsoft.public.windowsnt.terminalserver.connectivity,microsoft.public.windowsnt.terminalserver.domain,microsoft.public.windowsnt.terminalserver.misc,microsoft.public.windowsnt.terminalserver.setup,microsoft.public.windowsnt.terminalserver.user (More info?)

(This has been cross-posted to several of the Terminal Server groups because
I am unsure which one would apply)

I have an installation of five terminal servers and one licensing server
running a combination of Server 2000 and Server 2003.

The box being used as the Licensing Server is Running Server 2003.

There is only one Licensing Server.

The CALS are Server 2003 "Per User" CALS

All six boxes are in the same workgroup and are physically on the same
network subnet.

All other network functionality works perfectly.

We do not use Active Directory and do not have a domain controller.

I have successfully activated Terminal Services Licensing and purchased and
installed 50 "Per User" Terminal Server CALS which the licensing server
shows as installed and available.

My initial plan was that a user would log-in to any one of the five Server
2000 or Server 2003 terminal server boxes and have a license issued from the
License Server box. According to all of the documentation I have read, I
have everything configured properly but no licenses are being issued by the
license server when a person logs in to any of the terminal server boxes.
The Terminal Services Licensing application still shows that I have 50 CALS
available and zero issued.

Even when log-in directly to the license server box itself, I am only issued
a temporary, 90 day license and the group of 50 CALS remains untouched.

I have uninstalled and re-installed Terminal Server licensing more than once
and am starting to lose hope that I will be able to get this to work. I
want to be legititmate with my licensing and I definitely don't want my
user's client access licenses to suddenly and unexpectedly expire,
preventing them from logging in.

Any suggestions at all would be very much appreciated. Please respond to my
e-mail address (question01@nextsoft.com) as well as this group if you can
since the responses sometimes get a little buried.

Thank you in advance.

Respectfully Yours,

Jim
question01@nextsoft.com

Archived from groups: microsoft.public.windowsnt.terminalserver.connectivity,microsoft.public.windowsnt.terminalserver.domain,microsoft.public.windowsnt.terminalserver.misc,microsoft.public.windowsnt.terminalserver.setup,microsoft.public.windowsnt.terminalserver.user (More info?)

Are the 2003 Terminal Servers set to use "Per User" licensing? The
default is "Per Device".
You can check this from Administrative Tools - Terminal Services
Configuration - Server Settings
If they are set to Per Device mode, they will look for a Device TS
CAL and will not issue your Per User TS CALs.

Check this article, it explains that even after you have
switched licensing mode on the TS, your Per User TS CAL count will
not be decremented:

822134 - The Function of Terminal Server CALs in Windows Server
2003
http://support.microsoft.com/?kbid=822134

Since a W2K TS cannot be put into "Per User" mode, clients
connecting to a W2K TS must always receive a Per Device 2000 TS
CAL. The 2003 LS will contain built-in Existing 2000 licenses, but
those can only be issued to W2K Peo and XP Pro clients.

Also check the EventLog on the TS to see if it logs an event about
not being able to locate the licensing server. If that's the case:

279561 - How to Override the License Server Discovery Process in
Windows Server 2003 Terminal Services
http://support.microsoft.com/?kbid=279561

239107 - Establishing Preferred Windows 2000 Terminal Services
License Server
http://support.microsoft.com/?kbid=239107

--
Vera Noest
MCSE,CCEA, Microsoft MVP - Terminal Server

"James W." <question01@nextsoft.com> wrote in

> (This has been cross-posted to several of the Terminal Server
> groups because I am unsure which one would apply)
>
> I have an installation of five terminal servers and one
> licensing server running a combination of Server 2000 and Server
> 2003.
>
> The box being used as the Licensing Server is Running Server
> 2003.
>
> There is only one Licensing Server.
>
> The CALS are Server 2003 "Per User" CALS
>
> All six boxes are in the same workgroup and are physically on
> the same network subnet.
>
> All other network functionality works perfectly.
>
> We do not use Active Directory and do not have a domain
> controller.
>
> I have successfully activated Terminal Services Licensing and
> purchased and installed 50 "Per User" Terminal Server CALS
> which the licensing server shows as installed and available.
>
> My initial plan was that a user would log-in to any one of the
> five Server 2000 or Server 2003 terminal server boxes and have a
> license issued from the License Server box. According to all of
> the documentation I have read, I have everything configured
> properly but no licenses are being issued by the license server
> when a person logs in to any of the terminal server boxes. The
> Terminal Services Licensing application still shows that I have
> 50 CALS available and zero issued.
>
> Even when log-in directly to the license server box itself, I am
> only issued a temporary, 90 day license and the group of 50 CALS
> remains untouched.
>
> I have uninstalled and re-installed Terminal Server licensing
> more than once and am starting to lose hope that I will be able
> to get this to work. I want to be legititmate with my licensing
> and I definitely don't want my user's client access licenses to
> suddenly and unexpectedly expire, preventing them from logging
> in.
>
> Any suggestions at all would be very much appreciated. Please
> respond to my e-mail address (question01@nextsoft.com) as well
> as this group if you can since the responses sometimes get a
> little buried.
>
> Thank you in advance.
>
> Respectfully Yours,
>
> Jim
> question01@nextsoft.com

Archived from groups: microsoft.public.windowsnt.terminalserver.connectivity,microsoft.public.windowsnt.terminalserver.domain,microsoft.public.windowsnt.terminalserver.misc,microsoft.public.windowsnt.terminalserver.setup,microsoft.public.windowsnt.terminalserver.user (More info?)

I have checked the other servers, and they are all setup as "Per User" under
the Terminal Server Configuration.

The License Server was set to "Per Client" and I have changed it to "Per
User" though we've gone through that before and it didn't seem to help.

It appears that the other Windows 2000 servers are having no issue finding
the license server since I can go into "Terminal Services Licensing" and the
licensing server pops up immediately.

I did notice that there is an unactivated license server running on one of
the Windows 2000 boxes and it is dishing out temporary licenses to any of
the users that log directly into it (not pulling from the license server).

Also, the Windows 2000 server with the unactivated license server is able to
connect to the "real" and activated license server if you manually connect
to it, but it doesn't connect automatically like the Windows 2003 servers
do.

Am I just digging myself in deeper?

Jim
question01@nextsoft.com

"Vera Noest [MVP]" <Vera.Noest@remove-this.hem.utfors.se> wrote in message
> [...]
> > when a person logs in to any of the terminal server boxes. The
> > Terminal Services Licensing application still shows that I have
> > 50 CALS available and zero issued.
> >
> > Even when log-in directly to the license server box itself, I am
> > only issued a temporary, 90 day license and the group of 50 CALS
> > remains untouched.
> >
> > I have uninstalled and re-installed Terminal Server licensing
> > more than once and am starting to lose hope that I will be able
> > to get this to work. I want to be legititmate with my licensing
> > and I definitely don't want my user's client access licenses to
> > suddenly and unexpectedly expire, preventing them from logging
> > in.
> >
> > Any suggestions at all would be very much appreciated. Please
> > respond to my e-mail address (question01@nextsoft.com) as well
> > as this group if you can since the responses sometimes get a

gavman

Distinguished
Sep 12, 2008
This one caught me out and although this is an old Thread it may be useful to someone. IF you are runningmultiple servers check that they are all set to Usermode as its not just dictated by the licence server - as i thought1! This fixed it for me.