Local USB printing thru TS 2003

Last response: in Windows 2000/NT
a b α HP
July 15, 2004 1:42:00 PM

Archived from groups: microsoft.public.windowsnt.terminalserver.misc (More info?)

We are running TS on a 2003 machine. We have remote
users who are able to connect to TS and see their local
printers (and I can see them on the TS box) They all
have the printers hooked up with LPT1.

However we just bought two HP officjet 4215 multi
printers that are USB only. Neither of the remote users
that have these printers can see their local printer
while connected to TS.

I followed the instructions here

http://support.microsoft.com/?kbid=302361

But they are still unable to see their local printers.

Any info would be greatly helpfull!!

Thanks Chris
August 5, 2004 3:02:41 PM

Archived from groups: microsoft.public.windowsnt.terminalserver.misc (More info?)

How would you remove printer drivers that are no longer
needed? At times when I log on to TS I find the event
viewer saying it can not find a print driver..... But I
no longer have that printer. To make matters worse, at
times someone will log on to TS and another printer
belonging to someone else becomes attached to their port
(in printer properties, etc) How can you enable or
disable specific printers in a TS session?

driver
>name mismatch. Check the EventLog to find out.
>
>If that's the case, map the client printer driver name
to a native
>driver on the server, by creating a custom
ntprintsubs.inf file.
>Note that multi-functionality will mot work in most
cases.

>239088 - Windows 2000 Terminal Services Server Logs
Events 1111,

-

>$a66da090$a401280a@phx.gbl:
>
>> We are running TS on a 2003 machine. We have remote
>> users who are able to connect to TS and see their
local
>> printers (and I can see them on the TS box) They all
>> have the printers hooked up with LPT1.
>>
>> However we just bought two HP officjet 4215 multi
>> printers that are USB only. Neither of the remote
users
>> that have these printers can see their local printer
>> while connected to TS.
>>
>> I followed the instructions here
>>
>> http://support.microsoft.com/?kbid=302361
>>
>> But they are still unable to see their local printers.
>>
>> Any info would be greatly helpfull!!
>>
>> Thanks Chris
>.

Anonymous
a b α HP
August 5, 2004 6:17:26 PM

Archived from groups: microsoft.public.windowsnt.terminalserver.misc (More info?)

If you see events about not being able to find a printer driver,
it means that a client which such a printer model connected to
your TS. No harm done, if the server can find a matching printer
driver, it will not autocreate the printer.

The problem with the "wrong" printer connected to a session means
that at some time, someone has manually connected a printer to a
TSxxx port. This is sure to give problems, since TSxxx ports are
assigned dynamically to the sessions.
This has probably been done to solve the above problem, with
missing drivers.

317780 - Print Jobs That Are Sent to Terminal Services Redirected
Printers May Print on Another Client's Printer
http://support.microsoft.com/?kbid=317780

The solution to both problems is to map local printer drivers to
native drivers on the server, as described in my post below.

--
Vera Noest
http://hem.fyristorg.com/vera/IT

"Randy" <anonymous@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in

> How would you remove printer drivers that are no longer
> needed? At times when I log on to TS I find the event
> viewer saying it can not find a print driver..... But I
> no longer have that printer. To make matters worse, at
> times someone will log on to TS and another printer
> belonging to someone else becomes attached to their port
> (in printer properties, etc) How can you enable or
> disable specific printers in a TS session?

Related resources
Can't find your answer ? Ask !
Anonymous
a b α HP
September 17, 2004 1:49:44 PM

Archived from groups: microsoft.public.windowsnt.terminalserver.misc (More info?)

Hi, I seen your message from July on the microsoft page
and was wondering did you figure this out? I am having
the same printing problem.

I cannot even find directions on this at all.

If you can help, that would be great if not. I will not
bother you again.

Thank you,
Crystal

Anonymous
a b α HP
November 8, 2004 7:56:01 AM

Archived from groups: microsoft.public.windowsnt.terminalserver.misc (More info?)

Hi,
before we go any further, can you please check the Event Viewer / Systems on
the server for any printing-driver redirection error messages and send me
the ID numbers?

--
Zenon Pilat (MS)
---