7800GT/Mobo Combo Deal - Worth it?

CommodoreRed

Distinguished
Dec 26, 2005
Maybe I'm desperate waiting for NC-17 eVGA card, but I also am building my first custom rig. Have everything decided but mobo... then...

eVGA Geforce 7800GT 256-P2-N518 Video Card

With COD2 and free eVGA Mobo. (not worth it's 130 original price...) I checked reviews of the mobo itself, not too bad. Not great for OCing, but I don't intend on OCing. Seems a decent card not going into SLI (which its pesky about) just wondering if this is a good deal (with using the mobo)? Or just dreaming... (not the BEST mobo obviously, doesnt look terrible either. Seems decent enough for non OCers. And free with 7800GT...

Please need comments/suggestions/input. Want order next few days and finish my custom build!!! =)

livelouddiefast

Distinguished
Feb 8, 2006
if you're frugal, totally worth it. evga has awesome customer service, and two products from them will make them bend over 6 different ways for you.

someguyy

Distinguished
Jan 8, 2006
a free mobo is a free mobo. even if it turns out to be crap (which it sounds like it wont be) then you can replace it at no loss

warthogg

Distinguished
Dec 28, 2005
FREE MOBO! Do some creative adjustments and tweaks without worries if it crashes and burns, heh? trash it---it was free!! I really missed out on this deal because i just built an sli with evga cards. I could have had 2 sli mobos in my hands now to play around with :x :!:

On another note, if that mobo can operate at x32 sli it don't matter that you wouldn't be able to OC well, it'll do .

icbluscrn

Distinguished
Jan 28, 2006
CommodoreRed I am in the same boat as you , Ihave been looking at that combo , The reason i still am not sure is newegg has the evga card by itself for $279 evga 7800gt So you pay $65 for that motherboard is it still worth it?
Those are the same video cards right?

Reign_Of_Chaos

Distinguished
Jan 12, 2006
I have (along with a ouple other gaming friends), bought this combo. It is this combo that makes SLI or even at bare minimum PCIe GFX ready to buy for the late adopter. Its an awesome card with an equaly impressive mobo. yea it OCs too. may not have the advanced options, but for a user with a 939 AMD64, stuck on AGP...it takes the scare out of upgrading becasue your CPU will work, your HD will work, your RAM will work, your PSU will work, your HSF will work...all thats left is the GPU...but your getting that too.....all for what 320$ USD'ish (+/- depending where/when you buy)....how can you say no. Ive spent more $$$ on just a GPU. /2cents