Per Device to Per User Switch?

Last response: in Windows 2000/NT
July 28, 2004 7:47:03 PM

Archived from groups: microsoft.public.windowsnt.terminalserver.misc (More info?)

We are running into some TS Licensing issues. We have 355 TS CALs on our
licensing server. We have been swapping out laptops, desktops, and thin
clients fairly often lately. Well, we ran out of licenses on our licensing
server. Some of these licenses are old, but we have to wait up to 90 days
for them to get released.

We were thinking of changing the TS's to Per User Licensing through:
- Go to Administrative tools and launch the 'Terminal Services
Configuration' snap-in

- Under "Server settings" double-click on "Licensing" and change it from
per-device to per-user.

My main question is, will this prohibit any of the current users with Device
CALs from getting on the Terminal Servers? Also, when we get all this
hardware updated, can we switch it back to Per Device legally?

Also, we do have PLENTY of licenses. It's this swap out period that we're
going through that is tough.

Any suggestions would be appreciated also!

Thanks!
Jason Rosolowski
Systems Administrator
Northport Health Services

More about : device user switch

Anonymous
July 29, 2004 9:31:17 AM

Archived from groups: microsoft.public.windowsnt.terminalserver.misc (More info?)

No, you can't solve your problem that way. You would need to buy
Per User licenses instead (unless you have SA).

From the Windows Server 2003 Pricing and Licensing FAQ
http://www.microsoft.com/windowsserver2003/howtobuy/lic...
licfaq.mspx

(highly recommended reading!):

Q. Will I be allowed to switch between Windows Device CALs and
Windows User CALs? What about TS CALs?

A. If your Windows CALs are covered under Software Assurance (SA),
you have a one-time right to convert Device CALs to User CALs mid-
contract. You can also convert those Windows CALs from Device CALs
to User CALs, or vice versa, when you renew your SA contract. If
your Windows CALs are not covered under SA, you may not switch;
your choice is permanent. This also applies to TS CALs.

And really, there shouldn't be a problem at all:
All TS CALs have an expiration date of 52-89 days. Licenses that
are not used (because the client does not connect to the TS
anymore) will automatically be returned to the LS after the
expiration date. In the meantime, your new clients
will get a temporary TS CAL, which is valid for 90 days.

Note that these time periods are choosen to make sure that your
temporary license lasts long enough for the old license to become
available again. So if you are reaching the end of the 90 day
temporary license period without having TS CALs available, it
means that you have, at least during some time period, connected
with more clients than you have licenses, and you simply have to
buy extra TS CALs.

--
Vera Noest
MCSE,CCEA, Microsoft MVP - Terminal Server

!