Celeron D 2.4 Heat

davelee

Distinguished
Jan 2, 2006
my brother has been complain that, whilst playing games such as Star Wars battlefront 2 his system will either drop back to windows desktop or just reboot itself. Checked in the bios and the CPU was at 65c, which is pretty hot for a celeron isn't it??

I removed the stock Intel heatsink and gave it a good clean to rid it of all the dust. Put it back on and the CPU temp read 55c and continued to climb! The fan speed was reading about 2500rpm. Anyone know what the intel heatsink/fan arrangement should spin at as I'm sure mine (on a 2.4 Prescott) spins much quicker!!

I suggested to him that he'd best get a new HSF although what worring me now is that we couldn't seem to cool it down even with pointing a desk fan, on it's highest setting, at the HSF! So will a new HSF even sort the problem?

Any suggestions??

dave

Scout

Distinguished
Dec 31, 2007
Actually, for these Celeron D's, temperatures in the low 60's under load aren't that uncommon with stock cooling - and the chips tend to tolerate these temps very well.

How is the case ventillation? Take a naturally hot chip like the Celeron D and put it in a case with poor ventillation, and you have a bad mix! Try running the computer with the cover off and see if it runs any cooler.

davelee

Distinguished
Jan 2, 2006
that's good to know that i'm not the only one seeing 60c on a celeron d! when I was using the 12" desk fan I had the computer on the floor, with the side off and the desk fan blowing cool air (at it's highest setting) over the HSF. What's got me stumped is how the cpu temp continued to rise from 54c to 59c, and this was at idle! It was at this point I switched it off to avoid any problems but i guess it would have continued to rise.

i think as a precaution a better hsf will be installed as will a rear case fan.

dave

davelee

Distinguished
Jan 2, 2006
just noticed I've posted in the overclocking section, and this chip is not overclocked, sorry guys but thanks for your help!!

We've installed a cooler with a large all-copper heatsink and a 92mm fan (using the provided thermal paste) and things seem much happier. The CPU sits at about 45c at idle which is better than the 60 something before! I left my brother to give it a go with this games. It's not crashed since so, although he didn't check the temps after gaming, I'm guessing it's staying much lower.

The CPU fan on this cooler is running at about 1800rpm, which is around the same speed the stock intel one did. This cooler/fan obviously shifts more heat than the stock one which is nice. However, if we could speed the fan up a little then it could shift even more and bring that 45c idle temp down (as this seems a little high - although from previous comments perhaps not).

The cooler has a 4 pin connector which supports PWM which I understand is to do with the fan speed. The mobo (Asus P48VX-X) has only a 3 pin connector. The cooler manual says in this setup the fan should run at full speed all the time (which should be 3500rpm) but it's actually running at it's lowest speed.

Any idea's how I can crank this up a little? There seems to be no option in the bios so is a hardware hack needed to up the voltage or something?

thanks for the help

Dave

DCB_AU

Distinguished
Oct 20, 2002
my brother has been complain that, whilst playing games such as Star Wars battlefront 2 his system will either drop back to windows desktop or just reboot itself. Checked in the bios and the CPU was at 65c, which is pretty hot for a celeron isn't it??

I removed the stock Intel heatsink and gave it a good clean to rid it of all the dust. Put it back on and the CPU temp read 55c and continued to climb! The fan speed was reading about 2500rpm. Anyone know what the intel heatsink/fan arrangement should spin at as I'm sure mine (on a 2.4 Prescott) spins much quicker!!

I suggested to him that he'd best get a new HSF although what worring me now is that we couldn't seem to cool it down even with pointing a desk fan, on it's highest setting, at the HSF! So will a new HSF even sort the problem?

Any suggestions??

dave

I have a 2.4D Cel and OCed to 3019MHz at default VCore

Fan RPM = 5190
Temp = 56'C
Heatsink is Intel standard supplied

Cel D's can run at approx 72'C

Check out my other post in this section - 2.4D Cel OC to 3.6GHz :D

AntiHax0r

Distinguished
Dec 22, 2005
A solution to the heat issue...
Check if there is a good amount of thermal paste..
[Too much will be useless anyways, just enough to where it doesn't squirt out from the edges]

If case temps are warm.. then air circulation within the case would be the issue.. and this --->http://overclockers.com/tips1187/ would be the solution to your heat.

Reboots and unstabilities could be caused by low Vcore and possibly weak powersupply.. check the Vcore and see if its within default voltages under stock speeds.