/ Sign-up
Your question

Firewire Capture

  • Connection
  • Firewire
  • Devices
  • Components
Last response: in Components
January 4, 2006 11:24:54 PM


I have a firewire camcorder and I want to use it as a capture device for Webcamming etc.

What particular device do I need, my regular firewire connection does not act as a video capture device alone, so what else do I need?

Would it be some kind of TV Capture card with Firewie connection? I would be grateful to know the exact spec that I need to seach for when buying.

Many thanks,


More about : firewire capture

January 11, 2006 3:58:06 AM

You need a software suite to use your current firewire port with your camcorder. That's it, you don't need more hardware, just software.
January 11, 2006 9:02:21 AM

Ok I haveit working now, it was because my camcorder wasnot set to camera mode (it was set to play mode) and I guess this meant data was being sent to the camera rather thanthe other way.

Many thanks,

January 11, 2006 11:10:22 AM

OK, you caught me overlooking what seems to be the most obvious solution. I'm terribly sorry. My problem is, I understand FireWire but haven't a clue about your camera.