Asus A8N SLI - Premium pci slots not working

pyro099

Distinguished
Jan 5, 2006
I just bought a A8N premium with and AMD 64 X2 3800+. I was able to install windows and get everything working including a EVGA 6600GT PCI-E graphics card. The problem is that none of my regular PCI slots work. I have tried different cards in different slots but none of them are being reconized by the motherboard, and thus windows won't install it. Also my bios version is 1009. My system currently (it works and runs fine):
AMD x2 3800+
asus A8N SLi Premium
512 mb ram
dvd +rw
cd +rw
60 gig IDE hard drive
200 gig IDE hard drive
Soyo Bayone card reader with 2 USB 2.0 ports

any one have any ideas why my PCI slots don't work?

pyro099

Distinguished
Jan 5, 2006
also my second GIGlan port doesn't work, the NVLan one works fine and is able to connect to the internet...

mpjesse

Splendid
Just to make sure, go into the BIOS and make sure something isn't disabled. Like something to do w/ the PCI bus.

I doubt that's the problem because my A8N-SLI sees both ethernet controllers and I never had to screw around w/ the BIOS.

It sounds to me like the board is bad. Esp. since ur 2nd gigabit LAN port isn't working. (that 2nd LAN port connects via the PCI bus whereas the NVLAN is on the nVidia northbridge and doesn't use the PCI bus)

Anyways, RMA after you make sure something's not disabled.

-mpjesse

larrry

Distinguished
Jun 27, 2004
hi there,

i seem to bee having the same problem as you do. this is now my second board of this type (asus a8n-sli) which seems to be making trouble. the first board i got, had this trouble from the beginning on. so i went back to the store and got a new one. this one seemed to be working fine for about 1 month. but today suddenly, as i started a program called progdvb, there was some awfull noise coming out of the audiocard (on pci bus) followed by an instant crash. after that it couldnt find any pci devices what so ever. exept for the pci-express graphic cards.

so if you have found an answer to your (and my) problem by now, please let me know.

with best regards
larrry

larrry

Distinguished
Jun 27, 2004
no there are no conflicts at all. not only that the pci 32 bus seems to be dead, no the firewire port is also gone. and it has definately nothing to do with bios settings. its just no there.

SaoAlpha

Distinguished
Jan 23, 2006
Hi from Spain, I have the same problem, pci slots and 2º GigaLan (marvel) not working. I use Progdvb too and a day "crack", not working pci.

Any solution?

PS: Sorry for my english :wink:

larrry

Distinguished
Jun 27, 2004
yes, indeed. i do have a solution.

but first of all: thanks a lot for all of your replies.

because its not the first board that broke down on me, i spent some time googleing. and found out, that there are quite a few people that have discovered the same problem. most of them (including me) busted their board by using the dvb-s pci card "skystar2" from technisat. its the power supply of these asus boards, thats designed too weekly. these cards just seem to need to much power. so thats why the pci bus breaks down and some other internal peripherals such as the firewire or gigabit lan ports too. asus is aware of this problem and recomends not using any dvb-s cards on their sli-boards at all.

but, there are obviously other people that seem to be having no problems at all. but they are not using a "skystar2" card. which card did you use?

best regards
larrry

larrry

Distinguished
Jun 27, 2004
well.... i am still waiting for my new mainboard. (it wasn´t in stock) and i ordered a tv-star dvb-s card from knc one. because this is reported to work on pci 2.2 and on pci 2.3. which means it can deal with 5v and 3.3 volt. also i couldnt find any reports about trouble with this card on the internet. so i will see what happens and give you a short report. it should be arriving these days......

larrry

larrry

Distinguished
Jun 27, 2004
okay....

the mainboard is back and working and the dvb-s card from KNC ONE has arrived to. heavon on earth. i thought. but no! not for me. this damn f... dvb-s card seems to be working not properly. it has its own life. it only tunes a channel if you go down on your knees begging. and switching channels on the same transponder desnt work at all. well after long diskussions with the support they made me send it in, so that they could have a look at it. so now i am very curious if i will be getting a new one or not.....

so this is for now.
but: what i can say, is: the mainboard is still working. hurray!