Restrict IE access for specific users using TS

Archived from groups: microsoft.public.windowsnt.terminalserver.misc (More info?)

HI,

Have a client that is running win2003 server standard,
and is setup for 5 users, using TS cleient / Remote
Desktop on XP machines.

Would like the simplest way to restrict certain users
from using Internet Exporer altogether. (User1 & User2).

Not using AD nor IAS on server.

Any simple way of modifying the profile for these users,
so they cant use IE ??

Thanks in advance,

Neil Horley
Gold Coast, Australia.
3 answers Last reply
More about restrict access specific users
  1. Archived from groups: microsoft.public.windowsnt.terminalserver.misc (More info?)

    By far the simplest way is to change the NTFS permissions on
    iexplore.exe. Add permission "Deny" for User1 and User2. Or, more
    elegant, create a user group "NO-IE", make User1 and User2
    members of this group, and Deny access to iexplore.exe to user
    group NO-IE. Handy if there later should come a User3, User4, etc.
    which have to be restricted :-) Just make sure that the
    Administrator account is *not* a member of user group NO-IE!

    --
    Vera Noest
    http://hem.fyristorg.com/vera/IT

    "neil horley" <nhorley@technet2000.com.au> wrote in

    > HI,
    >
    > Have a client that is running win2003 server standard,
    > and is setup for 5 users, using TS cleient / Remote
    > Desktop on XP machines.
    >
    > Would like the simplest way to restrict certain users
    > from using Internet Exporer altogether. (User1 & User2).
    >
    > Not using AD nor IAS on server.
    >
    > Any simple way of modifying the profile for these users,
    > so they cant use IE ??
    >
    > Thanks in advance,
    >
    > Neil Horley
    > Gold Coast, Australia.
  2. Archived from groups: microsoft.public.windowsnt.terminalserver.misc (More info?)

    Thanks Vera,

    Was thinking of group & local policies, but could not
    find where to apply "no-run restriction" to just two
    users, but could think of where you would "apply" it
    after setting up a policy. (Could not see where you would
    actually add usernames or group names in grpedit.msc, but
    I suspect I would have had to load AD to get the
    connectivity. -, did not really want to do this as client
    is only a 5 -user site).
    Thanks again.

    Neil Horley.

  3. Archived from groups: microsoft.public.windowsnt.terminalserver.misc (More info?)

    That's the problem with not running AD: you cannot differentiate
    between user groups when you create a local policy.

    --

    > Thanks Vera,
    >
    > Was thinking of group & local policies, but could not
    > find where to apply "no-run restriction" to just two
    > users, but could think of where you would "apply" it
    > after setting up a policy. (Could not see where you would
    > actually add usernames or group names in grpedit.msc, but
    > I suspect I would have had to load AD to get the
    > connectivity. -, did not really want to do this as client
    > is only a 5 -user site).
    > Thanks again.
    >
    > Neil Horley.

Internet Explorer Servers Windows