Local Printer on wrong Port

Archived from groups: microsoft.public.windowsnt.terminalserver.misc (More info?)

On my local machine I have a HP laserjet 4P printer
connected to LPT1.

When I connect to my terminal server, the printer is shown
as being attached to TS004 PRN3.

Each time I connect, I have to change the port setting to
TS006 PRN1.

How can I force it to connect to the right port at logon?
3 answers Last reply
More about local printer wrong port
  1. Archived from groups: microsoft.public.windowsnt.terminalserver.misc (More info?)

    This is expected behavior. TS ports are the reusable ports used temporary to
    redirect physical client ports and you shouldn't change it. BTW, if you are
    connecting to the server as a regular user you will never be allowed to do
    this. As administrator you have the right to do this but if you have more
    than one user connected to the server some other clients may use this TS
    port and you may print to other user printer.
    I do not know what you are trying to accomplish but this is not supported
    scenario.
    --
    Zenon Pilat (MS)
    ---

    "ian" <anonymous@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
    > On my local machine I have a HP laserjet 4P printer
    > connected to LPT1.
    >
    > When I connect to my terminal server, the printer is shown
    > as being attached to TS004 PRN3.
    >
    > Each time I connect, I have to change the port setting to
    > TS006 PRN1.
    >
    > How can I force it to connect to the right port at logon?

  2. Archived from groups: microsoft.public.windowsnt.terminalserver.misc (More info?)

    I'm confused now. You say that I shouldn't change this
    setting. But I can't print unless I do! When I log in
    terminal services thinks my printer is on a different port
    to what it actually is. My pc doesn't even have a PRN3
    physically installed.

    So is my initial configuration wrong in some way?
  3. Archived from groups: microsoft.public.windowsnt.terminalserver.misc (More info?)

    Are you printing from the script or UI?

    The classic scenario for printing from UI looks like this:
    1. You install a printer on your client computer attached to LPT1: port
    2. now you start the session with printing redirection enabled and the
    printer is automatically redirected to the server. On your session this
    printer name has two additional attributes in the name - your client name
    and session number
    3. You run Word on your session and want to print document
    4. When you click print document from Word menu you will have a list of all
    printers available on your session - you will see your redirected printer
    from the client computer and all server printers if they were installed.
    5. Select your client redirected printer and print doc.
    6. The job is started on the server and send to the client side to your
    local printer and finally the spooler on he client is taking care and
    printing this document

    The classic scenario when printing from the command line (or script) is
    little more complicated since the \\tsclient\LPT1: is not supported. To
    print to your redirected printer you can:
    a) Made this printer def printer on the client. On the session this printer
    become default automatically (if you do not change the def. settings). Now
    you can use print command or print parameters like "wordpad /p aaa.txt" to
    print document on default printer
    b) Inside the session share the redirected printer and use net use lpt5:
    \\TSserver\shareName and use LPT5: as a port for your documents to print.
    The sharing and mapping are cached so you will have the same lpt port mapped
    to the same printer on the reconnected session
    --
    Zenon Pilat (MS)
    ---

    > I'm confused now. You say that I shouldn't change this
    > setting. But I can't print unless I do! When I log in
    > terminal services thinks my printer is on a different port
    > to what it actually is. My pc doesn't even have a PRN3
    > physically installed.
    >
    > So is my initial configuration wrong in some way?

Connection Printers Windows