Not sure what wattage to buy! Help please! First Build

Ok, I've finally got sick and tired of my mom's Gayway... er I mean Gateway. Sure on paper it's a pretty powerfull computer, but I guess I just run it to hard. Anyway, I decided to build my own. This is my first build and I'm confused about many things but they are starting to make sense as I research more. The only thing I can't figure out is what would be the appropriate wattage for my components. So far, I think I'm going to go with an ASUS A8N-SLI Premium ATX AMD motherboard, eVGA Geforce 7800GT 256-P2-N517-AX video card, and an AMD Athlon 64 4000+ so far. I don't know how much power is enough. I'm not going to run the craziest, most powerful rig on the planet so I dont plan on having a lot of extras except for some cold cathodes, a DVD writer drive, a DVD reader drive, and a lighting controller.

I would appreciate some advice on the components I have selected and ones I havent gotten to yet (soundcard, gaming mouse, etc.). Basically I'm building this computer to easily run World of Warcraft, Battlefield 2, and possibly Counterstrike: Source. Thank you
3 answers Last reply
More about wattage please build
  1. First of all, if you're going with THAT video card, I suggest you check into the free motherboard offer, to see if it's still valid. eVGA was giving away a very nice motherboard, free, with the purchase of that card. And they might still be doing it!

A high-end 450W power supply should do the job, but I'd go for a high-end 500W power supply. The cheap/unknown brands can't be trusted no matter how high their rated output is.
  2. this is when it gets more complicated, when you learn that Wattage actually doesnt matter but the Amperage on each line does. a 350w PSU with 12amps on a 12volt is better than a 500w with only 6amps on the 12volt line 8O .

but dont worry bout that all good named brands like Antec, Enermax, Tagen, OCZ, will supply sufficent power.
  3. eXtreme PSU Calc

try using this calculator to maybe get an idea of what you may need.
    i dont know how accurate it is but you probably might want to get more than what it recommends to be safe.
Ask a new question

Read More

Power Supplies Build Components