< New to routers, can't configure with AOL

I bought a DLink-524 wireless router, because I am getting another computer
and a laptop and I wanted to share the network. I am running AOL with
Broadband DSL which I have had for some time with no problems. Here is the
setups (Like I said I am new to routers) DSL modem > Router > Computer (As
the manual said).

There is an ip to connect to to configure the router. I can get there no
problem, and configure it (pppoe). But it doesn't connect. It seems that the
only way I can connect to the internet is directly from the modem to my
computer. Am I missing something here? All the cables and lines work, and I
am up-to-date with my Firmware. I read somewhere that AOL doesn't like MTU
above 1400, so it's set at 1400 (no Idea what it is).

Anyone have any idea of what I can do here? I would gladly provide any/all
further information about my computer to see how to do this.

(NOTE: My dsl modem is dual connect, so I was wondering...if I connect it
with the USB to my computer, and then the ethernet to the router, would it
work?)

(Another NOTE: This is only the server computer, I haven't even begun the
'wireless' aspect of it yet)
6 answers Last reply
More about routers configure

    Chris wrote:

    > I bought a DLink-524 wireless router, because I am getting another
    > computer and a laptop and I wanted to share the network. I am running
    > AOL with Broadband DSL which I have had for some time with no
    > problems. Here is the setups (Like I said I am new to routers) DSL
    > modem > Router > Computer (As the manual said).

    (snip right after reading the bit about OP using AOL)

    AOL does not use the accepted standards for their broadband that
    everyone else in the world does. Only certain router hardware works
    with AOL (and I'm sorry, but I don't know which ones). You will need to
    contact AOL tech support for instructions how to use a router with
    their broadband service. This is not a Windows issue; it is purely
    AOL's fault for not adhering to accepted standards, just like with
    their dialup.

    Malke
    --
    Elephant Boy Computers
    www.elephantboycomputers.com

    aol being aol (opinians with-held)

    only support the netgear routers there are ways of setting other
    routers up with formentioned ISP but much searching needs to be done to
    fine settings also i am told you have to be on gold service otherwise
    it disconnects when more than one computer conncets.... great eh?

    AOL more expensive than most overs
    AOL more restricing than others
    AOL help line no longer free or in the uk
    AOL isnt it time to switch ISP :)

    I never liked AOL

    question...is it the @aol.com that is blocked, or only the aol software?
    Because I use the windows dialer from time to time(Start>Control
    Panel>Network Connections), when I don't want waol.exe eating up my memory.
    Is there something I can do there? Or is it the fact that I am subscribed to
    aol, or that I am using the software? Hmmmmmmmmmmmmm

    Thanks again.

    "pragi" wrote:

    > aol being aol (opinians with-held)
    >
    > only support the netgear routers there are ways of setting other
    > routers up with formentioned ISP but much searching needs to be done to
    > fine settings also i am told you have to be on gold service otherwise
    > it disconnects when more than one computer conncets.... great eh?
    >
    > AOL more expensive than most overs
    > AOL more restricing than others
    > AOL help line no longer free or in the uk
    > AOL isnt it time to switch ISP :)

    As a medium to large local independent computer shop I am constantly
    amazed.

    I need to get out more.

    In the process of replacing lightning-struck hardware, I discovered that
    the DSL modems that my ISP (Earthlink) provides these days are, by
    default, configured as one-port routers, with built-in DHCP server, NAT,
    and PPPoE client. The upside, from the ISP's point of view is that when
    a user with one PC connects thusly: DSL line > modem > computer, the NAT
    feature of the modem/router protects the user who neglects to turn on a
    firewall. The downside -- from the point of view of a user who wants to
    have an internal network -- is that the router PPPoE client can't get an
    IP address through the modem. (As an aside, you apparently can connect
    multiple PCs to the modem via a hub or switch -- not a router -- but
    when PC #2 tries to connect, it will disconnect PC#1, so you can only
    have on PC connected at a time).

    The solution is to set the modem to bridge mode -- which is how the
    early DSL modems usually were supplied -- and then the router's PPPoE
    client works as expected.

    So, Chris, if you haven't figured this out yet, what brand of DSL modem
    do you have? And did AOL ever tell you an IP address to use to
    configure the modem (not the router)?

    Chris wrote:
    > I bought a DLink-524 wireless router, because I am getting another computer
    > and a laptop and I wanted to share the network. I am running AOL with
    > Broadband DSL which I have had for some time with no problems. Here is the
    > setups (Like I said I am new to routers) DSL modem > Router > Computer (As
    > the manual said).
    >
    > There is an ip to connect to to configure the router. I can get there no
    > problem, and configure it (pppoe). But it doesn't connect. It seems that the
    > only way I can connect to the internet is directly from the modem to my
    > computer. Am I missing something here? All the cables and lines work, and I
    > am up-to-date with my Firmware. I read somewhere that AOL doesn't like MTU
    > above 1400, so it's set at 1400 (no Idea what it is).
    >
    > Anyone have any idea of what I can do here? I would gladly provide any/all
    > further information about my computer to see how to do this.
    >
    > (NOTE: My dsl modem is dual connect, so I was wondering...if I connect it
    > with the USB to my computer, and then the ethernet to the router, would it
    > work?)
    >
    > (Another NOTE: This is only the server computer, I haven't even begun the
    > 'wireless' aspect of it yet)
  6. Quote:
[...]

    OK, I have AOL and i'm in the UK, don't know if that makes a difference.

    Here's how my router is setup to work.
    Firstly i suggest trying this with a wired connection to the router.. that way you can eliminate any wireless problems etc...

    PPPoA routing is the one i selected, contrary to how they told me to setup with PPPoE (which I initially selected and couldn't get to work).

    Set the DNS to automatically from ISP.

    Funny everyone says they use PPPoE routing.. I was in a queue at a local store sombody was taking back a netgear router... again.. with AOL... they mentioned they couldn't connect and were using PPPoE...

    I think you should try PPPoA... certainly that's what I use and never had a problem.

Routers Configuration Computers Wireless Networking