HTML Help

Not quite sure if this is the right group or not, but someone might know...

A piece of software we have here uses HTML help for its help system here. On
some machines it just opens blank and we can't read any pages. Other
machines are OK. Is there something extra we should be installing to make it
work properly? Might the Java environment on the machine have anything to do
with it?

This is not perhaps specifically an XP issue, but you all know more about
these things than we probably do, so can anyone help?
2 answers Last reply
More about html help

    Gareth,

    > A piece of software we have here uses HTML help for its help system here.
    > On some machines it just opens blank and we can't read any pages. Other
    > machines are OK. Is there something extra we should be installing to make
    > it work properly? Might the Java environment on the machine have anything
    > to do with it?

    Is this a compiled HTML Help (.chm) file or just loose HTML files? If
    it's a .chm file then the system requirements are as outlined here:

    http://www.mvps.org/htmlhelpcenter/htmlhelp/hhsysreq.html

    I'd recommend checking the other help files on these systems in case
    they exhibit the same problems. This should help to determine whether
    the problem lies in your particular help file (or the programming code
    used to invoke it) or in the components that Windows uses to display
    HTML Help files.

    By the way, the best newsgroup for Help-related questions is probably
    microsoft.public.helpauthoring
    (news://msnews.microsoft.com/microsoft.public.helpauthoring).

    --
    Pete (Microsoft Help MVP)

    hi pete,
    check this website,
    http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=kb;en-us;813444. try this
    article. will be helpful, good luck!
    If queries persist write to v-2mnair@mssupport.microsoft.com

    "Pete Lees" wrote:

    > Gareth,
    >
    > > A piece of software we have here uses HTML help for its help system here.
    > > On some machines it just opens blank and we can't read any pages. Other
    > > machines are OK. Is there something extra we should be installing to make
    > > it work properly? Might the Java environment on the machine have anything
    > > to do with it?
    >
    > Is this a compiled HTML Help (.chm) file or just loose HTML files? If
    > it's a .chm file then the system requirements are as outlined here:
    >
    > http://www.mvps.org/htmlhelpcenter/htmlhelp/hhsysreq.html
    >
    > I'd recommend checking the other help files on these systems in case
    > they exhibit the same problems. This should help to determine whether
    > the problem lies in your particular help file (or the programming code
    > used to invoke it) or in the components that Windows uses to display
    > HTML Help files.
    >
    > By the way, the best newsgroup for Help-related questions is probably
    > microsoft.public.helpauthoring
    > (news://msnews.microsoft.com/microsoft.public.helpauthoring).
    >
    > --
    > Pete (Microsoft Help MVP)

HTML Microsoft Windows XP