Video Card Temperature

ShadowVulcan

Distinguished
Jan 5, 2006
I've just finished my first build, and I've been configuring settings in the BIOS. I've noticed that when I leave the system on for about 10 minutes, my video card temperature rises quickly. What's a good cooling solution to use? I'm using all stock cooling in my case (case fans, VGA fan, CPU fan). Maybe I put the temperature sensor in the wrong spot? Hmm...

CPUZ

Distinguished
Jan 3, 2006
I wouldn't worry about temps unless you are getting errors when you are playing games and the temps look very high.

The other thing to remember is as this is your first build and your hardware will be new and when you change the coolers on the CPU and VGA card your warranties go out the window and if something goes wrong you can't get it replaced... :(

Does the temp rise when you have just turned the PC on or is it after its been on for 30min and more?

ShadowVulcan

Distinguished
Jan 5, 2006
The video card temp rises when the system is on for 10 minutes or so. The card shouldn't be getting this hot...I'm just running the BIOS. It's not like I'm running some graphics-hungry application. I think I'm gonna try and move the temperature sensor to another spot on the video card and see what happens.

CPUZ

Distinguished
Jan 3, 2006
Just a few things needed:
Try playing a game and see if you get any errors or beeping noises or the PC just shuts down (Which is the fail safe when it gets too HOT)
Go into Windows and if its an nVidia card go into properties/advanced and look for the temp of GPU of the card and give that to me.
Does the temp stay the same if you leave the PC in the BIOS for 30min?

ShadowVulcan

Distinguished
Jan 5, 2006
I don't have Windows installed yet, but I have an LCD temperature readout panel on the top of my case. If I leave the system on with only the BIOS running, after about 10 minutes the video card gets to 99-100 degrees Fahrenheit.

I'll leave it on longer to see if the temperatures flucuate.

gomerpile

Distinguished
Feb 21, 2005
remember they can handle up to 90c so running around 50 to 60C wont harm a thing. Performance, if hotter than 60C is an issue. The cooler the better. Could always run the computer outside at :D the northpole.

mpjesse

Splendid
Dude... 99 to 100F is nothing. Most CPU's don't even run that cool! And GPU's almost always run hotter than CPU's. (newer high end ones anyways)

Don't frikin worry about it. Both my cards are currently at 58C and 54C. That's 136F and 129F respectively.

-mpjesse

ShadowVulcan

Distinguished
Jan 5, 2006
Dude... 99 to 100F is nothing. Most CPU's don't even run that cool! And GPU's almost always run hotter than CPU's. (newer high end ones anyways)

Don't frikin worry about it. Both my cards are currently at 58C and 54C. That's 136F and 129F respectively.

-mpjesse

Once again, I would understand if I saw those temperatures while playing BF2 or using some graphics-hungry application. But I don't even have Win XP installed! The system is idle, with only the BIOS running, and the GTX shouldn't get that hot while idle. But whatever. I'll figure something out.

CPUZ

Distinguished
Jan 3, 2006
Get windows installed and see what temp the cards get to. If it breaks and you haven't changed the cooler send it back and get it replaced.

devilpo2004

Distinguished
Oct 10, 2004

-mpjesse

I have my SLI setup and just wondering is the secound GC's temp always hotter then first GC's temp??

TRENDING THREADS