No worries for the newbies...... ;-)

Hi folks!
Just wanted to remind you: Next night we are going to change for summertime.
So don't worry if FS is going to re-index at first startup tomorrow. It's
all the same every 6 months........;-))))
It's springtime ;-)) ( well, at least in the northern hemisphere......)
--
Oskar
(retired captain)

Ian

"Oskar Wagner" <rengaw@swissonline.ch> wrote in message
> Hi folks!
> Just wanted to remind you: Next night we are going to change for
> summertime. So don't worry if FS is going to re-index at first startup
> tomorrow. It's all the same every 6 months........;-))))
> It's springtime ;-)) ( well, at least in the northern hemisphere......)
> --
> Oskar
> (retired captain)
> Remember, in the great scheme of things, we're all small potatoes...

Oskar

Not in North America.They spring forward next week.

Ian, Seaford, UK

Oskar Wagner <rengaw@swissonline.ch> wrote:

> Next night we are going to change for summertime.

I don't suppose we all could petition to eradicate this silly, outdated
tradition?

--
Peter

"pr" <nope@nospam.com> wrote in message news:lu596onitu39$.dlg@ID-259643.user.individual.net...
> Oskar Wagner <rengaw@swissonline.ch> wrote:
>
>> Next night we are going to change for summertime.
>
> I don't suppose we all could petition to eradicate this silly, outdated
> tradition?
>
> --
> Peter

<*SNIP*>

I agree, let's never 'fall back' again. I dislike regression. Let's forever Spring Forward!
Tally Ho :)

--
....Carl Frisk
Anger is a brief madness.

Carl Frisk <c.frisk@REMOVE.verizon.net> wrote:

<snip>
> Let's forever Spring Forward!

Now, that would be truly bizarre.

--
Peter

"pr" <nope@nospam.com> wrote in message news:wwks6hhnolvt.dlg@ID-259643.user.individual.net...
> Carl Frisk <c.frisk@REMOVE.verizon.net> wrote:
>
> <snip>
>> Let's forever Spring Forward!
>
> Now, that would be truly bizarre.
>

> --
> Peter

<*SNIP*>

Just think we might all live in the same relative timezone at one time or another :)
....Carl

"Ian" <ian.baines@NOSPAMuk.com> schrieb im Newsbeitrag

> "Oskar Wagner" <rengaw@swissonline.ch> wrote in message
>> Hi folks!
>> Just wanted to remind you: Next night we are going to change for
>> summertime. So don't worry if FS is going to re-index at first startup
>> tomorrow. It's all the same every 6 months........;-))))
>> It's springtime ;-)) ( well, at least in the northern
>> hemisphere......)
>> --
>> Oskar
>> (retired captain)
>> Remember, in the great scheme of things, we're all small potatoes...
>
> Oskar
>
> Not in North America.They spring forward next week.
>
> Ian, Seaford, UK

Huh? I thought we have at least THAT im common with the US of A.........;-)
--

> "Ian" <ian.baines@NOSPAMuk.com> schrieb im Newsbeitrag
>> "Oskar Wagner" <rengaw@swissonline.ch> wrote in message
>>> Hi folks!
>>> Just wanted to remind you: Next night we are going to change for
>>> summertime. So don't worry if FS is going to re-index at first startup
>>> tomorrow. It's all the same every 6 months........;-))))
>>> It's springtime ;-)) ( well, at least in the northern
>>> hemisphere......)
>>
>> Not in North America.They spring forward next week.
>>
> Huh? I thought we have at least THAT im common with the US of
> A.........;-)

Not only that, but here in the US we call it Daylight Savings Time. When
you said "summertime" I didn't know what you meant at first. :)
Here, we are on the "summertime" for 7 months and only on standard time for
5 months.

"Matt B." <sawdust100@charter.net> wrote:

>Not only that, but here in the US we call it Daylight Savings Time. When
>you said "summertime" I didn't know what you meant at first. :)
>Here, we are on the "summertime" for 7 months and only on standard time for
>5 months.

And not only that :) but not every part of the US will change. There
is a large section of Indiana, for instance, that does not change to
Daylight Savings Time!

I got me several 'atomic' clocks that synchronize themselves to the
National Bureau of Standards atomic clock 4 times a day - no more
running around the house to change all those darn clocks ;-)

-=tom=-

"Tom Orle" <xspam.torle@comcast.net> wrote in message
> And not only that :) but not every part of the US will change. There
> is a large section of Indiana, for instance, that does not change to
> Daylight Savings Time!

Also Arizona and Hawaii. Not sure why Arizona doesn't do it, but Hawaii is
far enough south that the length of the day is pretty much 12 hours all
through the year, and if you went to daylight savings time in the summer it
would be dark when people woke up.

Wayne

"Matt B." <sawdust100@charter.net> schrieb im Newsbeitrag
> "Oskar Wagner" <rengaw@swissonline.ch> wrote in message
>> "Ian" <ian.baines@NOSPAMuk.com> schrieb im Newsbeitrag
>>> "Oskar Wagner" <rengaw@swissonline.ch> wrote in message
>>>
>>> Not in North America.They spring forward next week.
>>>
>> Huh? I thought we have at least THAT im common with the US of
>> A.........;-)
>
> Not only that, but here in the US we call it Daylight Savings Time. When
> you said "summertime" I didn't know what you meant at first. :)
> Here, we are on the "summertime" for 7 months and only on standard time
> for 5 months.

Well, the term 'daylight saving time' is also known here of course ;-)) but
it's now on a 6/6 month basis rather than 7/5 as it was some 10 years ago
(at least here in Switzerland). 'Summertime' is just the literal translation
of our standard term "Sommerzeit".......
--
Oskar
(retired captain)
Remember, in the great scheme of things, we're all small potatoes...

Eric

Distinguished
Dec 31, 2007

"Oskar Wagner" <rengaw@swissonline.ch> wrote in message
> Hi folks!
> Just wanted to remind you: Next night we are going to change for
summertime.
> So don't worry if FS is going to re-index at first startup tomorrow. It's
> all the same every 6 months........;-))))
> It's springtime ;-)) ( well, at least in the northern hemisphere......)
> --
> Oskar
> (retired captain)
> Remember, in the great scheme of things, we're all small potatoes...

Question for the Ozzies down under: do you guys see the opposite
"re-indexing" in FS9 from us in the northern hemisphere? I.e., when we
re-index for summer you re-index for winter and vice versa? Guessing it is
determined on which airport is set as default?

Never though about that until now so just was curious.

Cheers,
-Eric

Date: Sat, 26 Mar 2005 15:02:51 -0500

And not only that :) but not every part of the US will change.
There is a large section of Indiana, for instance, that does not
change to Daylight Savings Time!

Well I have followed this for decades in the US. And there are three
states don't ever change time zones. That is Indiana (well most of it
anyway), Arizona, and Hawaii as far as I know. The reason for changing
time is said to be for the farmers and their children anyway. Well a
hundred years ago I could see why this was necessary. But today, I don't
see the need for it at all.

Cheers!

Bill (using a Toshiba 2595XDVD & Windows 2000)
-- written and edited within Word 2000

BillW50 <BillW50@aol.kom> wrote:

> That is Indiana (well most of it
> anyway), Arizona, and Hawaii as far as I know.

Those states should be commended for their modern thinking.

For the rest of the states, stop the madness! :)

--

> BillW50 <BillW50@aol.kom> wrote:
>
>> That is Indiana (well most of it
>> anyway), Arizona, and Hawaii as far as I know.
>
> Those states should be commended for their modern thinking.
>
> For the rest of the states, stop the madness! :)

I don't understand. I love the switch to daylight time. I like it when it
stays light later. What's the problem?

Wayne

Wayne Citrin <wcitrin@yahoo.com> wrote:

> "pr" <nope@nospam.com> wrote in message
>> BillW50 <BillW50@aol.kom> wrote:
>>
>>> That is Indiana (well most of it
>>> anyway), Arizona, and Hawaii as far as I know.
>>
>> Those states should be commended for their modern thinking.
>>
>> For the rest of the states, stop the madness! :)
>
> I don't understand. I love the switch to daylight time. I like it when it
> stays light later. What's the problem?

Leave the clocks on standard time and wake up an hour earlier. :) This
will give you more relative light time.

As an individual, I maintain that the logistics of having to switch is a
real hassle. Not only are there numerous time devices to correct, there
are also the physiological effects, especially when springing forward. And
finally, pilots have to remember to subtract/add one less to Zulu time when
trying to interpret forecasts, file flight plans, etc, when springing
forward.

Pertaining to society, I would speculate that there is a notable cost to
society in terms of lost productivity due to having to switch the clocks
every spring and fall.

--

> Wayne Citrin <wcitrin@yahoo.com> wrote:
>
>> "pr" <nope@nospam.com> wrote in message

>>> Those states should be commended for their modern thinking.
>>>
>>> For the rest of the states, stop the madness! :)
>>
>> I don't understand. I love the switch to daylight time. I like it when
>> it
>> stays light later. What's the problem?
>
> Leave the clocks on standard time and wake up an hour earlier. :) This
> will give you more relative light time.

I'm lucky in that I can set my own hours, but for those on fixed schedules
(including me at one point), the issue isn't relative light time, but
after-work light time.

Wayne

Bob

Distinguished
Dec 31, 2007

Carl Frisk wrote:

> I agree, let's never 'fall back' again. I dislike regression. Let's
> forever Spring Forward!
> Tally Ho :)

Carl, you kidder you. :) And I thought you were all serious. :)
--

boB

U.S. Army Aviation (retired)

In the Uk I have quite a number of old wind-up clocks in my house, with
those and the central heating, two cars, video recorders and so on, I have
24 clocks to change each time it has to be done. Whew! I would support
getting rid of this silly idea every time...Thank goodness the four
computers change themselves.

Cheers,

Quilly

GREGORY

On Sun, 27 Mar 2005 13:31:16 +0100, "Quilljar"
<wykehill-flightsim@yahoo.co.uk> brought the following to our
attention:

>In the Uk I have quite a number of old wind-up clocks in my house, with
>those and the central heating, two cars, video recorders and so on, I have
>24 clocks to change each time it has to be done. Whew! I would support
>getting rid of this silly idea every time...Thank goodness the four
>computers change themselves.

good point.. and what was the origin of this? wasn't it to give
farmers and labourers an extra hour of daylight in which to work?
Perhaps send an RFC (change request) to the global relations
council for a more uniform, straightforward, and standardized
time scheme.

then it would be easier to `ring you up' in the UK. :]

-G

>Cheers,
>
>Quilly

Tim

Quilljar wrote:
> In the Uk I have quite a number of old wind-up clocks in my house,
> with those and the central heating, two cars, video recorders and so
> on, I have 24 clocks to change each time it has to be done. Whew! I
> would support getting rid of this silly idea every time...Thank
> goodness the four computers change themselves.
>
> Cheers,
>
> Quilly

I work shifts, so the time of day (and even day of the week) becomes largely
irrelevant anyway. I mean, I THINK it's Sunday today, but I have to check
the display on my watch/clock sometimes to be sure!!

Tim

<wykehill-flightsim@yahoo.co.uk> wrote:

>In the Uk I have quite a number of old wind-up clocks in my house, with
>those and the central heating, two cars, video recorders and so on, I have
>24 clocks to change each time it has to be done. Whew! I would support
>getting rid of this silly idea every time...Thank goodness the four
>computers change themselves.

Call me a sad, oldish git - go on! - but at 00:59 I popped into my
study to enjoy the experience of seeing my PC's clock move directly to
02:00.

Immedately afterwards I nipped upstairs to view my slightly slow alarm
clock's hands whiz round for a few moments.

Ah, what fun.
James

Bob

Distinguished
Dec 31, 2007

Gregory wrote:

> good point.. and what was the origin of this? wasn't it to give
> farmers and labourers an extra hour of daylight in which to work?
> Perhaps send an RFC (change request) to the global relations
> council for a more uniform, straightforward, and standardized
> time scheme.
>
> then it would be easier to `ring you up' in the UK. :]
>
> -G

Here's what I heard from "they", as they told me.

Summer vacation from school was so the children could help on the farm
during the busy times. Germans don't do this.

The Daylight saving time was started, I think in the 60's, to add that
extra hour of light in the evening but the time had to be set back
during the school season because otherwise the kids at the bus stops
would be in the dark.

How's that sound. :)

--

boB

U.S. Army Aviation (retired)

"Wayne Citrin" <wcitrin@yahoo.com> wrote in response to Tom Orle's
message news:114bh8bdvouab59@corp.supernews.com...

> > And not only that :) but not every part of the US will change. There
> > is a large section of Indiana, for instance, that does not change to
> > Daylight Savings Time!
>
> Also Arizona and Hawaii. Not sure why Arizona doesn't do it, but ....

The summers in most of Arizona are so hot that the last thing an Arizona
resident wants is an extra hour of brutal sunlight. The earlier the sun
sets the sooner it will start to cool off enough to venture outside.

Rand

A former Arizonan

On 2005-03-28, boB <akitaREMOVECAPS77@excite.Icom> wrote:

> Here's what I heard from "they", as they told me.
>
> Summer vacation from school was so the children could help on the farm
> during the busy times. Germans don't do this.
>
> The Daylight saving time was started, I think in the 60's, to add that
> extra hour of light in the evening but the time had to be set back
> during the school season because otherwise the kids at the bus stops
> would be in the dark.
>
> How's that sound. :)

I thought it started during the first world war (here in UK anyway) to
allow extra time for the farmers to grow and reap crops - critical for a
nation at war.

I believe this is the same time they brought in the alcohol licensing
restrictions which are only now being eased. These restrictions being to
allow pubs to open only for a short time around lunch and for a few
hours in the evening - reason being they didn't want the work-force too
hung over to work.

Of course, what I was told could be an urban legend; I don't recall the
origin of either of those peices.

Justin.

--
Justin C by the sea.