Kinect Price Drops to $109.99; Kinect 2 in October?

Status
Not open for further replies.

master_chen

Honorable
Jun 20, 2012
[citation][nom]DroKing[/nom]I thought it was no more than 60-70 bucks for an kinect. LOL wow I am stumped.[/citation]
Welcome to the world of Micro$oft, Mister Anderson.

Pennanen

Honorable
May 29, 2012
[citation][nom]Tom's Hardware[/nomSmell that? It's the scent of hardware sold at a discounted price to make room for the younger, sexier next-generation model.[/citation]

No, its the smell of shit, just as micro$oft and whole xbox live is.

I am surprised the unit sells so well. I mean, it has a ton of features, but the few times I have used it I have felt like it is the fat man on the cross country team: part of the team, but always a few steps behind. There is some hope for Kinect2 as it will (in theory) be available for PC, have less lag, and be more accurate, but then you look at stuff like leap motion for less than 1/2 the price (granted not released until Feb), and begin to see just how much of a ripoff and how limited kinect really is.

IndignantSkeptic

Distinguished
Apr 19, 2011
Why is the PC version more expensive? is it better quality? I would have expected it to be the same quality but cheaper because it can probably use the PC's processors instead of having to have added specialized processors. I mean the Kinect on Xbox 360 must have added processors because why else would a Kinect device be required for voice recognition on Xbox 360?

G

The original Kinnect was a beta test that had all its powerful hardware stripped out of it so microsoft could save a buck at your expense. Now they wanna sell you the real version.

killabanks

Distinguished
Oct 27, 2011
[citation][nom]IndignantSkeptic[/nom]Why is the PC version more expensive? is it better quality? I would have expected it to be the same quality but cheaper because it can probably use the PC's processors instead of having to have added specialized processors. I mean the Kinect on Xbox 360 must have added processors because why else would a Kinect device be required for voice recognition on Xbox 360?[/citation]the original kinect doesn't have on-board processors to save on cost it actually leeches off the xbox

IndignantSkeptic

Distinguished
Apr 19, 2011
[citation][nom]killabanks[/nom]the original kinect doesn't have on-board processors to save on cost it actually leeches off the xbox[/citation]

Well then why is Kinect required for voice recognition then?

__Miguel_

Distinguished
Jun 4, 2011
[citation][nom]IndignantSkeptic[/nom]Well then why is Kinect required for voice recognition then?[/citation]
Because the 360 does not have an embedded microphone, which is needed for voice recognition. The Kinnect actually has a few microphones, which are used in tandem to filter out ambient noise, something a single microphone usually isn't capable of.

And, answering your previous question, Microsoft subsidizes the Kinnect for XBOX price, banking on you buying more Kinnect-enabled games, which bring more money through licensing. Since there is no money to be made that way on PCs (at least for now), except maybe a little from the Games For Windows thing, you get slapped the full price on Kinnect for Windows.

Now, back to the news, I see Microsoft is again screaming "F.U." to us Europeans by not making the price reduction affect the whole market at once. I can only cringe at the thought of just how expensive the K2 will be for EMEA costumers if its launch coincides with W8's and the K1 price hasn't dropped until then... :S

g00fysmiley

Distinguished
Apr 30, 2010
I am hoping the kinect 2 is for the new xbox i presonally love the kinect, some of the games are fun but with the new consoles over the bend even though i use min often i think i'd stick with what i have ... hopefully the new xbox will have a bundle with the new vertion if it is for it

igot1forya

Distinguished
Jun 27, 2008
[citation][nom]master_chen[/nom]Make that 38$ and I'll MAYBE consider buying it after all...[/citation]
I speak from experience here. The best part of owning one is that of all the conversations it will generate when your guest see it. Of course, there are next to no games for it so you will be limited to talking about it. Wonderful center-piece for any entertainment center!

Status
Not open for further replies.