PLZ help me Decide. I'm tired of reading and what's better.

tvfreak

Distinguished
Dec 29, 2005
Here's my situations. I want to build a new pc or have someone build it for me in the next month or so because I dont know how. I'm not all that computer savvy. I been reading a lot lately and I was going to go with x2 4400, then I kinda want to go to Operton 175 which I beleive it's similiar as the x2 4400. Also I been hearing about M2 socket ddr2, conroe and what not. Wait or dont'? So which is better out of the x2 4400 or Operton dual core 175??? I want to use it for gaming, video editing, like using final cut pro and what not, editing music, encoding, Muti-threading, multi-tasking and among other stuff. So it's not just for gaming . So pretty much what i'm trying to say is I want to do all the good stuff like play the really good games and then some. I read that the operton is more for servers so they are put more into harder tests and stuff. So since opertons are more for servers, how is it compatible with games, mobos, and software like windows XP pro and other type of software? I plan on buying A new CPU, PSU, 2gb memory, vid and sound card, uv reactive stuff so my case will look all nice purty lol, mobo, HD(sata2, raptor, and be able to raid), and I think that's it.
Between the 2 CPU's I mentioned, how much can you OC between the 2 before it's unsafe? And I guess Operton is better for OCing so how good is x2 4400 in OCing between the 2? I don't plan on OCing right away but later down the line. Also think I read that the Operton is socket 940??? I'm pretty sure i'm wrong but that's what I thought I read.

Plus i'm getting tired of reading all these forums becasue I can't decide and I just want to decide on something and get my stuff ASAP. So I will be putting the samething that I wrote here in other forums so I can get as much as feedback as I can and decide from there. My bugdet is between $1500 to $2000.

So pretty please with cherry on top and help me decide because If I keep reading then I will want to wait for the new stuff and before you know it, I will never get one lol. Sorry for being so long I just want to be thurough as possible so I can decide quickly. And I know this topic is been up before but again I'm new and have been under a rock for the last 4 yrs or so. I never read so much about computer stuff in my life. :roll: :twisted: :?: :?:

sepuko

Distinguished
Dec 13, 2005
That's a lot of stuff you worte here. Maybe one of the reasons you got no replies so far. About the CPU's: get the Opteron you can use it for whatever you want. About waiting for the M2-there will always be something new to come. About the games-you better have a good VC fast RAM and a fast raid config. And finally, what have you been smoking lately, all that long s**t sounds so desorientated...

philderbeast

Distinguished
Dec 12, 2005
the opty will overclock much better than the x2. i have recently been reading about another persons tests with opty 170, (starts at 2.0 Ghz rather than 2.2) and it overclocked straight to 2.7 compaired to his 2.55 from a 4400+ (im sure you could get diffrenet results else where.)

the opty 1xx series are socket 939 not 940 and do not require registered memory so dont worry there either

as for waiting for socket M2 and DDR2 its rely up to you, can you afford the system now? do you need the system now?

but as for your choice between the opty and the x2 id say go the opty, the price diffrence isent worth worrying about, and you will get less heat and better overclocks with the opty :)

tvfreak

Distinguished
Dec 29, 2005
That's a lot of stuff you worte here. Maybe one of the reasons you got no replies so far. About the CPU's: get the Opteron you can use it for whatever you want. About waiting for the M2-there will always be something new to come. About the games-you better have a good VC fast RAM and a fast raid config. And finally, what have you been smoking lately, all that long s**t sounds so desorientated...
Yea I figured it was long but oh well. Thanks for the reply though. SO you got any suggestions on mobo that has sata 2 and also can be compatible with my older regular hd ata/100 and memory. How do you raid? I'm new at this. :twisted: :?:

mpjesse

Splendid
Opterons have one major advantage over their Athlon 64 counterparts, overclockability. AMD reserves the best cores from wafers for Opterons. This means they will typically run at higher clock speeds. Great for overclocking.

Of course, you're going to pay a pretty penny for a dual core Opteron. A dual core Opteron clocked at 1.8Ghz is going to set you back $700! A dual core Athlon clocked at 2.2Ghz costs just $500

So if you're not planning to overclock, stick to the dual core Athlon's.

-mpjesse

julius

Distinguished
May 19, 2004
ummm... i think youre talking about the 2x opterons which are not s939. a s939 165 opteron is about 340, a little more than a 3800, but itll likely oc higher.

pat

Expert
Here's my situations. I want to build a new pc or have someone build it for me in the next month or so because I dont know how. I'm not all that computer savvy. I been reading a lot lately and I was going to go with x2 4400, then I kinda want to go to Operton 175 which I beleive it's similiar as the x2 4400. Also I been hearing about M2 socket ddr2, conroe and what not. Wait or dont'? So which is better out of the x2 4400 or Operton dual core 175??? I want to use it for gaming, video editing, like using final cut pro and what not, editing music, encoding, Muti-threading, multi-tasking and among other stuff. So it's not just for gaming . So pretty much what i'm trying to say is I want to do all the good stuff like play the really good games and then some. I read that the operton is more for servers so they are put more into harder tests and stuff. So since opertons are more for servers, how is it compatible with games, mobos, and software like windows XP pro and other type of software? I plan on buying A new CPU, PSU, 2gb memory, vid and sound card, uv reactive stuff so my case will look all nice purty lol, mobo, HD(sata2, raptor, and be able to raid), and I think that's it.
Between the 2 CPU's I mentioned, how much can you OC between the 2 before it's unsafe? And I guess Operton is better for OCing so how good is x2 4400 in OCing between the 2? I don't plan on OCing right away but later down the line. Also think I read that the Operton
is socket 940??? I'm pretty sure i'm wrong but that's what I thought I read.

Plus i'm getting tired of reading all these forums becasue I can't decide and I just want to decide on something and get my stuff ASAP. So I will be putting the samething that I wrote here in other forums so I can get as much as feedback as I can and decide from there. My bugdet is between $1500 to $2000.

So pretty please with cherry on top and help me decide because If I keep reading then I will want to wait for the new stuff and before you know it, I will never get one lol. Sorry for being so long I just want to be thurough as possible so I can decide quickly. And I know this topic is been up before but again I'm new and have been under a rock for the last 4 yrs or so. I never read so much about computer stuff in my life. :roll: :twisted: :?: :?:

First thing to do, learn correct name for CPU. Repeat after me.. O....P..T..E...R...O...N.. like in opteron. Not O...P...E...R...T...O...N.. like in Operton.

Don't want to be rude, but reading about computer should be really useful in your case. Anandtech, X-bit labs.. plenty of hardware site that ofthen do a better job that THG for comparing thing.

Now, my advise. get the money, get the computer. enjoy. Don't care about tomorrow.. you'll upgrade anyway when newer stuff will be available. And while you are waiting for the next stuff, better one is being made that will be announced and make you wanting to wait again more.. So, you'll spend your life wainting and not playing..

tvfreak

Distinguished
Dec 29, 2005
Between the 2 CPU's I mentioned, how much can you OC between the 2 before it's unsafe? And I guess Operton is better for OCing so how good is x2 4400 in OCing between the 2? I don't plan on OCing right away but later down the line. Also think I read that the Operton
is socket 940??? I'm pretty sure i'm wrong but that's what I thought I read.

First thing to do, learn correct name for CPU. Repeat after me.. O....P..T..E...R...O...N.. like in opteron. Not O...P...E...R...T...O...N.. like in Operton.

Don't want to be rude, but reading about computer should be really useful in your case. Anandtech, X-bit labs.. plenty of hardware site that ofthen do a better job that THG for comparing thing.

Now, my advise. get the money, get the computer. enjoy. Don't care about tomorrow.. you'll upgrade anyway when newer stuff will be available. And while you are waiting for the next stuff, better one is being made that will be announced and make you wanting to wait again more.. So, you'll spend your life wainting and not playing..
Look I dont give a flying F@#% what's it's called. If your going to correct me then correct me. No need for the caps and all the bs. :twisted: Now that said, I hear the the O...P...T...E...R...O...N are going to be discontinued? Why?