Sign in with
Sign up | Sign in
Your question

3d modelling and rendering of animation

Last response: in Graphics & Displays
Share
January 5, 2006 7:12:06 AM

can anyone tell me what is the best agp x8 card for the above purpose. have been investigating a card from 3labs viz wildcat4 7110. This card seems impressive but I do not know how to compare with Nvidia and ATI cards to see how good it is.
can anyone out there in the electronic ether help me
a b U Graphics card
January 5, 2006 9:19:37 AM

You should read my 6600GT/SLI review at SysOpt. The review does show both single and SLI settups, and it's important to remember that the AGP card will give about the same performance as the single PCI-Express card.

I'd recommend the 6600GT to just about anyone who's running 3D modeling on a home machine.
a b U Graphics card
January 5, 2006 12:27:59 PM

Quote:
can anyone tell me what is the best agp x8 card for the above purpose. have been investigating a card from 3labs viz wildcat4 7110. This card seems impressive but I do not know how to compare with Nvidia and ATI cards to see how good it is.
can anyone out there in the electronic ether help me


Simply to add to Crashman's statments above, the W4 7110 is quite old now, and was basically equalled by the Quadro 3000. The latest FireGL and Quadro cards (FG 5000 and above , Q4000 and above) would far outperform that card. 3DLabs has long since moved to the Realizm line, and I would recommend at least the Realizm 200.

In rare cases the massive memory size of the 7210 might help, but the 7110 doesn't have any trump cards nowadays. Still a nice card if you can get it for real cheap.

For general use Crashman's got a point, the gaming cards have great geometry power and using SLi actually multiplies that benifit. You miss out on some driver tweaks, but depending on the app that may be nothing.
Related resources
January 6, 2006 6:32:33 PM

thank you for your assistance my main concern is to increase the rendering time of 3d models produced in blender 3d. my current system is pentium 4 2.8 on a 855 mb with a geforce fx 5500 and 1g of ddr ram. trying to work out whether to build new system or for the time being push the ram up to 2g replace the x8 graphics card with a better card which is purpose built for the job like a wildcat or nvidia quadro fx
I have a labtop with a 256m radeon mobility card in it which gives as good if not better results than my desk top.
January 6, 2006 6:36:48 PM

Quote:
my main concern is to increase the rendering time of 3d models...


8O
January 6, 2006 6:50:40 PM

HOLD UP THERE, PARD!

If what you mean is DECREASING render times (making them shorter), then it doesn't matter which videocard you choose, it ain't going to do squat for you.

Videocards can help viewport refreshes, but they don't do diddley for final rendering of image files.

That's 100% CPU. If that's what you're looking for, get a nice new dual-core system...
January 7, 2006 8:24:30 AM

[/quote]thanks for your info
If graphics cards do nothing to assist in the rendering of 3d meshes why do they market highend graphic cards specifically designed for this purpose the open GL is also on the graphics card. what purpose do these cards fulfil then
a b U Graphics card
January 7, 2006 9:30:23 AM

Rendering to a file and rendering to the screen are different things! The CPU creates the model, which can take a while, then it's displayed on the screen, which can take a couple seconds for really complex models on fairly weak cards. Professional graphics cards are meant to do a couple things, reduce the time it takes to display the finalized image, and make sure that image is accurate.

If you can change the point of view quickly on your models, you have enough graphics power.
January 8, 2006 8:33:40 AM

[If you can change the point of view quickly on your models, you have enough graphics power.]

I am learning. Could you please explain what you mean by the above statement. I do not wish to appear naive (I must be) but I have no idea what this means, your further comments would be appreciated[/quote]
a b U Graphics card
January 8, 2006 11:34:15 AM

If you can spin the model around easily you have enough graphics power. If you have to wait for the image to be redrawn when you spin the model around, you don't have enough graphics power.
January 8, 2006 5:12:43 PM

wow! don't go away my friend as I have a lot more questions for you.

So it appears that to improve my rendering to file that all I need is a faster system with a good graphics card. Amazing.

Now the specs to my current machine are ^ back up there somewhere. I'll put another 1g of ram and see what happens. To move to a dual core 64 bit architecture system was my intention in 2007. The current program that I use is Blender 3D which is an open source program. I did not think that I would obtain better performance than say 50% by doing this now unless the program was written to run on a 64 bit system (which I will check on). Is this correct.

I look forward to receiving your comments
January 8, 2006 5:53:27 PM

Quote:
wow! don't go away my friend as I have a lot more questions for you.

So it appears that to improve my rendering to file that all I need is a faster system with a good graphics card. Amazing.

Now the specs to my current machine are ^ back up there somewhere. I'll put another 1g of ram and see what happens. To move to a dual core 64 bit architecture system was my intention in 2007. The current program that I use is Blender 3D which is an open source program. I did not think that I would obtain better performance than say 50% by doing this now unless the program was written to run on a 64 bit system (which I will check on). Is this correct.

I look forward to receiving your comments


it could just be my comp but i just downloaded and tested that program, and i had no problems whatsoever...

anyway, a faster CPU will help the render time of the models, and a faster GPU will help in the displaying of the models once they are rendered as in the 3d view. if your looking to do this professionally though may i recommend you look into some more proffessional programs. a faster CPU will also help the loading and saving time of the models, 2gigs of Ram should be sufficent to store all the texture details etc..

the program your using at the moment doesnt "seem" that intensive but its hard to tell.
a b U Graphics card
January 8, 2006 8:24:43 PM

Hey Flakes! I used to do my 3D work on a Sun workstation, and by the time I had a complete car body/chassis rendered it would take over five seconds just to rotate the model. Amazingly slow graphics!

So there IS a reason to use a good graphics card. On the other hand, it took over twenty minutes just to distort a beam on that system. And all my gaming cards render the BMW quite nicely in SPEC Viewperf.
January 8, 2006 8:35:28 PM

Quote:
Hey Flakes! I used to do my 3D work on a Sun workstation, and by the time I had a complete car body/chassis rendered it would take over five seconds just to rotate the model. Amazingly slow graphics!


Quote:
and a faster GPU will help in the displaying of the models once they are rendered as in the 3d view
:roll:

ive never done any serious 3d CAD work but i have played around with a few programs, i borrowed a CAD program that my university uses(my friend there does engineering and im in the computing), and ive created a few things like cars, planes, a robot... and i used to create maps for games quite alot dont do it as much now but i did then and you know what slow is when you got a nice detailed map and your rendering it with a 5200 FX card :cry:  . it used to crash alot so i had to do it in sections the join them o what fun.

on that note i might go back to creating maps on my new system i dont see it having a problem now all i need is a map editor for CSSource(i used to do UT2004 maps, quake 2 maps and compile meshes and models for them.) i enjoyed it then but its too time consuming.
January 9, 2006 2:48:13 PM

Is it clear to you now flakes?

Graphics card:
Speeds up the rendering VIEWPORTS in the 3d program WHILE YOU ARE MODELLING it, or WHILE YOU ARE SETTING UP AN ANIMATION

CPU:
Speeds up rendering animations of IMAGE FILES (like .jpgs).
These are the FINAL OUTPUT of a stillshot or series of stillshots for animation, to be imported into a video program like Premiere.
January 9, 2006 6:39:57 PM

Quote:
Is it clear to you now flakes?

Graphics card:
Speeds up the rendering VIEWPORTS in the 3d program WHILE YOU ARE MODELLING it, or WHILE YOU ARE SETTING UP AN ANIMATION

CPU:
Speeds up rendering animations of IMAGE FILES (like .jpgs).
These are the FINAL OUTPUT of a stillshot or series of stillshots for animation, to be imported into a video program like Premiere.


*bangs head*

GPU = Graphics processing unit as in the gfx = grafix = graphics card..

ive already stated that :twisted:
!