Information Needed - Part 2

tvl

Distinguished
Jan 4, 2006
Hello again and thanks to those who responded to my previous questions!

Based on information received here for my needs, I have just ordered an ASUS AX300SE/TD/128 RadeonX300se 128MB PCI-E video card. With a coupon I had from Amazon.com, I was able to order the unit for $42.97 which includes shipping .......... cheap enough!

Now for my last two questions (I hope):

1- I have spoken with two individuals and received two different answers regarding the installation of the card. One indicates I will need to disable the onboard integrated Intel card through the BIOS settings after installing the new card. The other says that is incorrect and that once I install the new card the integrated card will be disabled automatically. I have checked the BIOS and I am unable to find any place to disable the card if the first individual is correct. Which one is correct? I am hoping it is done automatically. If not, I will appreciate the steps to do so!

2- After reading the specifications on the card I ordered, this is part of what was stated:

The minimum recommended power supply is 350W.
Consult your system specifications to ensure your power
supply is designed to accommodate a High-End Graphics card.

Well, we all know this isn't a high-end graphics card, but what about the PS. Is everyone still in agreement that my 305 watt power supply should do the job well enough? (Once again: New Sony Pentium D - I have already added a second hard drive, but that's it). If most everyone still thinks the 305 watt is adequate, then I am not going to spend the extra cash to replace it.

All help is once again very much appreciated!

Tony

1) It could do either. Does it matter? If it isn't disabled automatically just go into the BIOS and disable it.

2) There is only one way to find out. I think you'll just get away with it. Easy way to find out after you've got it up and running is to stress both CPU cores and the graphics card at the same time. If, say after an hour, your PC hasn't crashed you should be safe.

mpjesse

Splendid
90% of all motherboards will detect a card in the PCI-e slot and disable the on-board graphics automatically.

But like Ned said, you won't know until you install it. If the PC doesn't POST w/ the new card, simply take it out, go into the BIOS, and disable the integrated video.

Simple.

-mpjesse

tvl

Distinguished
Jan 4, 2006
Thanks Ned & mpjesse!

Hopefully, it will automatically recognize the video card!

But if it doesn't, I may have a problem??? I searched the BIOS on the unit last night and I could find no reference to the onboard integrated video. Either there is no way to disable the integrated video from the BIOS or it is in a well hidden menu.

Any thoughts? ............ just preparing for the worse!

Thanks agian!

Tony

Don't you think it would be stupid to give the user an option to disable the integrated video card without there being another card present to output the display to? Think about it logically.

If it isn't automaticaly disabled, a BIOS option will become available.