davelee

Distinguished
Jan 2, 2006
Been given someone's computer to have a look at. The inside was full of dust and smelt of dog! CPU fan was struggling to turn with all the dust! I'm not entirely sure what CPU it is, but I think it is an AMD Athlon 1.4. Could it be an early XP though? It's a sort of brown colour whereas I'm sure my old 1.4 Athlon was grey (although that's some years ago now!)

I had the CPU out to clean off the thermal paste so I could see what it was and now the thing won't go back into the socket! I've definately got it round the right way and it just won't go in! I've got a horrible suspicion that the CPU has cooked itself as the fan couldn't turn. But would it have got so hot as to damage the socket???

Time for an upgrade I think.

Flakes

Distinguished
Dec 30, 2005
it should of turned off if it got so hot, the cpu should just drop in. im sure your a smart guy but anyway check to make sure non of the pins are bent, make sure the lock mechanism handle is all the way up and that the gold arrow is placed on the correct corner and it shoud just drop in, theres no reason why it wont go back in unless the pins have been bent.

Brown i beleve could be an old XP or a Duron,( i have an old 850 sitting here on my desk thats brown, i dont recall any grey ones.)

is the socket burnt? or look deformed? i doubt the actuall socket would be taht bad if it did overheat, it would of crashed way before hand.

btw its worse when someone smokes and you take the PC apart those stink.

davelee

Distinguished
Jan 2, 2006
It's definately lined up correctly, the handle is completely up, I have checked the pins 3 or 4 times now as I just don't believe it won't go back in! I didn't have to use any force to get the chip out so I really don't understand why it won't go back in!

very strange..

Mills

Distinguished
Dec 14, 2005
Don't use any force putting it back in either.

It has to be bent pins. If you were able to take it out, it will go back in the same way.

davelee

Distinguished
Jan 2, 2006
pat, I almost got to that point with it, I really did!!

i eventually managed to get it back in. Not sure what was causing it but I tried it in another (dead) board first and it fitted so I was determined to get it back into the slot!

Anyway, got it all back together and it's still a non-runner (well, what did I expect really!). Everything spins up that should but nothing on screen and no post beeps. Thing is, it does the same without the CPU installed so I suppose that's a good sign that the CPU is dead right?

dave