Closed

Remote Desktop Connection - Blank desktop

Archived from groups: microsoft.public.windowsnt.terminalserver.misc (More info?)

I have a Windows 2003 Standard Edition server which I prefer to remotely
administer.

When I connect, I get a login dialog box. when I login, I get a blank blue
screen. No icons, not start button etc.
I then create a second connection and it works perfectly.
The first connection never displays any icons

I've tried rebooting the server and it does not fix the problem.

Anyone have any suggestions.

Thanks,
-Dave Davis-
If the obvious weren't so obscure, I'd be less confused.
10 answers Last reply
More about remote desktop connection blank desktop
  1. Archived from groups: microsoft.public.windowsnt.terminalserver.misc (More info?)

    Got it!
    As so often happens, all I have to do is post a request for help and then I
    solve my own problem.

    --

    -dmd-
    "Mac Davis" <news@blindsided.org> wrote in message
    > I have a Windows 2003 Standard Edition server which I prefer to remotely
    > administer.
    >
    > When I connect, I get a login dialog box. when I login, I get a blank
    blue
    > screen. No icons, not start button etc.
    > I then create a second connection and it works perfectly.
    > The first connection never displays any icons
    >
    > I've tried rebooting the server and it does not fix the problem.
    >
    > Anyone have any suggestions.
    >
    > Thanks,
    > -Dave Davis-
    > If the obvious weren't so obscure, I'd be less confused.

  2. Archived from groups: microsoft.public.windowsnt.terminalserver.misc (More info?)

    Congratulations!
    Could you post your solution here? Might help someone else with the
    same problem.

    --
    Vera Noest
    http://hem.fyristorg.com/vera/IT

    "Mac Davis" <news@blindsided.org> wrote on 30 sep 2004 in
    microsoft.public.windowsnt.terminalserver.misc:

    > Got it!
    > As so often happens, all I have to do is post a request for help
    > and then I solve my own problem.
  3. Does anyone know the fix for this? I currently have the same problem where I now run my RDP client, get presented with the login screen, login no problems, however explorer(start bar) will not appear. If I do a CTRL-ALT-END, then Task Manager, I can see the explorer process running, but killing it, then restarting it still does nothing however it's still running. I'm almost at my wits end because this is a service I pay for, and I am nowhere physically near or able to access the server.

    Any more help/tips on this issue would be SO GREATLY appreciated!

    Thanks in advance!!
  4. I had the same problem.

    to solve it I opened two windows thru remote desktop
    then i disconnected the connection which was having blank desktop.
    then in the other connection where i was able to see all icons on desktop i opened Terminal services manager.
    Here there were two instances running
    one was in disconnected status and other logedin status.
    now for the instance in disconnected status; i right clicked and logged off.

    now the problem is solved :D

    vikky
  5. Quote:
    Got it!
    As so often happens, all I have to do is post a request for help and then I
    solve my own problem.

    I have the same problem. Do you have the solution?
  6. I'm running Windows Server 2000 and had the same problem but with a Black Background instead of blue. The solution of running two remote connections and logging off the other with Terminal Services Manager worked for me.
  7. A client of ours just had the same problem on server 2003. They are a small business so I had them restart the server and that fixed it. I'd have tried the above mentioned fix but didn't read it till afterwards.
  8. Okay, I also had the same problem and this is what I did to solve it...

    I would assume the people that had the problem are running similar systems as I have... I also assume your running concurrent RDP allowing more than one person to log-in simultaneously.

    What I did was I remotely accessed the computer under another person’s account. Perhaps administrator would also work.

    I then opened the task manager and went to users.

    In that screen, I logged-off the user with the blue screen.

    When I went to remotely access the computer using that user, it worked just fine!!!

    I am not sure, but I suspect the graphics card/drivers to be the culprit with kaspersky also running. Who knows!!!

    I hope that helped.
  9. This is what worked for me:

    - logged on a second time to the terminal server
    - on the server opened Terminal Services Manager
    - clicked on the Sessions tab in the right pane
    - selected the session with the oldest date/time
    - clicked the RESET button on the toolbar

    Problem solved.
  10. This topic has been closed by Randomizer

Remote Desktop Connection Windows Server 2003 Windows