Remote Desktop Connection - Blank desktop

Status
Not open for further replies.

Archived from groups: microsoft.public.windowsnt.terminalserver.misc (More info?)

I have a Windows 2003 Standard Edition server which I prefer to remotely
administer.

When I connect, I get a login dialog box. when I login, I get a blank blue
screen. No icons, not start button etc.
I then create a second connection and it works perfectly.
The first connection never displays any icons

I've tried rebooting the server and it does not fix the problem.

Anyone have any suggestions.

Thanks,
-Dave Davis-
If the obvious weren't so obscure, I'd be less confused.

Archived from groups: microsoft.public.windowsnt.terminalserver.misc (More info?)

Got it!
As so often happens, all I have to do is post a request for help and then I
solve my own problem.

--

-dmd-
"Mac Davis" <news@blindsided.org> wrote in message
> I have a Windows 2003 Standard Edition server which I prefer to remotely
> administer.
>
> When I connect, I get a login dialog box. when I login, I get a blank
blue
> screen. No icons, not start button etc.
> I then create a second connection and it works perfectly.
> The first connection never displays any icons
>
> I've tried rebooting the server and it does not fix the problem.
>
> Anyone have any suggestions.
>
> Thanks,
> -Dave Davis-
> If the obvious weren't so obscure, I'd be less confused.

Archived from groups: microsoft.public.windowsnt.terminalserver.misc (More info?)

Congratulations!
Could you post your solution here? Might help someone else with the
same problem.

--
Vera Noest
http://hem.fyristorg.com/vera/IT

"Mac Davis" <news@blindsided.org> wrote on 30 sep 2004 in
microsoft.public.windowsnt.terminalserver.misc:

> Got it!
> As so often happens, all I have to do is post a request for help
> and then I solve my own problem.

scar45

Distinguished
Feb 5, 2006
Does anyone know the fix for this? I currently have the same problem where I now run my RDP client, get presented with the login screen, login no problems, however explorer(start bar) will not appear. If I do a CTRL-ALT-END, then Task Manager, I can see the explorer process running, but killing it, then restarting it still does nothing however it's still running. I'm almost at my wits end because this is a service I pay for, and I am nowhere physically near or able to access the server.

Any more help/tips on this issue would be SO GREATLY appreciated!

Thanks in advance!!

vikky_79

I had the same problem.

to solve it I opened two windows thru remote desktop
then i disconnected the connection which was having blank desktop.
then in the other connection where i was able to see all icons on desktop i opened Terminal services manager.
Here there were two instances running
one was in disconnected status and other logedin status.
now for the instance in disconnected status; i right clicked and logged off.

now the problem is solved :D

vikky

dgarcia59

Distinguished
Jan 3, 2007
I'm running Windows Server 2000 and had the same problem but with a Black Background instead of blue. The solution of running two remote connections and logging off the other with Terminal Services Manager worked for me.

adamreiswig

Distinguished
Jun 6, 2007
A client of ours just had the same problem on server 2003. They are a small business so I had them restart the server and that fixed it. I'd have tried the above mentioned fix but didn't read it till afterwards.

bestsax

Okay, I also had the same problem and this is what I did to solve it...

I would assume the people that had the problem are running similar systems as I have... I also assume your running concurrent RDP allowing more than one person to log-in simultaneously.

What I did was I remotely accessed the computer under another person’s account. Perhaps administrator would also work.

I then opened the task manager and went to users.

In that screen, I logged-off the user with the blue screen.

When I went to remotely access the computer using that user, it worked just fine!!!

I am not sure, but I suspect the graphics card/drivers to be the culprit with kaspersky also running. Who knows!!!

I hope that helped.

beetlebud

Distinguished
Feb 10, 2010
This is what worked for me:

- logged on a second time to the terminal server
- on the server opened Terminal Services Manager
- clicked on the Sessions tab in the right pane
- selected the session with the oldest date/time
- clicked the RESET button on the toolbar

Problem solved.