Overclocking Memory?

fedude

Distinguished
Aug 18, 2002
For my next build, I want to try my hand at overclocking. It seems fairly easy except for the issues around memory. I assume some memory is better than others for overclocking. Also is there certain configurations of memory that I shoud look for when I plan on overclocking?

Where would a newbie go to find out more about memory issues when overclocking?

tenaciousleydead

Distinguished
Dec 6, 2004
when i was first thinking about overclocking my memory i really had to just figure it out myself go to your bios and overclock it by your front side bus by 5 mhz at a time until you dont see a bootscreen, then back down but go read reviews at newegg on how overclockable the memory is but remember every stick of memory is different and overclocks different.

fedude

Distinguished
Aug 18, 2002
First: How do I find the rating for the memory?

Second: What do I do with this information when I have it??

I assume the rating will tell me what the clock limits will be??

fedude

Distinguished
Aug 18, 2002
Sweet! Thanks wusy. I'm building and the parts should come in the next 10 days. As soon as I get it I'll post the RAM codes.

Thanks!

No wonder you're a legend on this board!

DarkMarc

Distinguished
Feb 12, 2006
Can you tell me how much I can overclock my ram?
it's 2*512MB corsair value select ddr400 with timings 2.5 3 3 8.
I think my ram may be defective or something. I ram memtest86 and got 3 errors during teh 6 hours it ran.
here's a screenshot:
http://server4.pictiger.com/img/51868/picture-hosting/memtest-86.php

Someone suggested to me that these are weak secotrs and raising the voltages may help. I just raised (or maybe lowered I don't know?) the voltages to 2.75, but I still got 1 error when I ram memtest86 for 2 hours.