How to prevent a terminal user from running applications

Archived from groups: microsoft.public.windowsnt.terminalserver.misc (More info?)

How can i have a terminal user be able to log in and run a single
application but
block everything else for the user, such as start menu, any shortcut keys
that can launch
other applications? All i want is to have the user run a single application.

What are my options? Is there a link somewhere explaining the possibilites
of what i can setup?

Thank you
2 answers Last reply
More about prevent terminal user running applications
  1. Archived from groups: microsoft.public.windowsnt.terminalserver.misc (More info?)

    Define that application as the starting application. The user will
    never get to the desktop at all.
    Make sure that there is no possibility to spawn another process,
    like a text editor or explorer, from this application.
    Or define that application as the only allowed application to run
    at all, with Software restrictions (2003 only).
    And use group policy and NTFS permissions on the file system to
    further secure your TS.

    278295 - How to Lock Down a Windows 2000 Terminal Services Session
    http://support.microsoft.com/?kbid=278295

    324036 - HOW TO: Use Software Restriction Policies in Windows
    Server 2003
    http://support.microsoft.com/?kbid=324036

    --
    Vera Noest
    http://hem.fyristorg.com/vera/IT

    "serge" <sergea@nospam.ehmail.com> wrote on 06 okt 2004 in
    microsoft.public.windowsnt.terminalserver.misc:

    > How can i have a terminal user be able to log in and run a
    > single application but
    > block everything else for the user, such as start menu, any
    > shortcut keys that can launch
    > other applications? All i want is to have the user run a single
    > application.
    >
    > What are my options? Is there a link somewhere explaining the
    > possibilites of what i can setup?
    >
    > Thank you
  2. Archived from groups: microsoft.public.windowsnt.terminalserver.misc (More info?)

    Thank you Vera, I will check these out.

    > Define that application as the starting application. The user will
    > never get to the desktop at all.
    > Make sure that there is no possibility to spawn another process,
    > like a text editor or explorer, from this application.
    > Or define that application as the only allowed application to run
    > at all, with Software restrictions (2003 only).
    > And use group policy and NTFS permissions on the file system to
    > further secure your TS.
    >
    > 278295 - How to Lock Down a Windows 2000 Terminal Services Session
    > http://support.microsoft.com/?kbid=278295
    >
    > 324036 - HOW TO: Use Software Restriction Policies in Windows
    > Server 2003
    > http://support.microsoft.com/?kbid=324036

Terminal Microsoft Windows