DO NOT GET AN ABIT AL8!!!!

wischmi2

Distinguished
Jan 5, 2006
This is a recent e-mail I sent to Abit over their horrible AL8 MB. Do not get this board for dual core! Read the eRMA section of the ABIT forum and you will see multiple entries of problems with this MB!

To whom it may concern:

My name is __________ and I am a recent ABIT motherboard customer. I would like to share with you the frustrations I had with this experience and give you the chance to make me believe what it says on your website under your customer service tab.

“As stated in the past, ABIT's RMA policy is unmatched; no other motherboard manufacturer comes close. In combination with their timely tech support reply, we feel ABIT is one of the best (if not the best) motherboard manufacturers to turn to for motherboard customer service and support. We're glad ABIT continues to work hard on this aspect of their operations, and we sincerely hope to see similar steps taken at other top tier motherboard manufacturers in the future.”

On November 8th, 2005 I ordered from Newegg.com the following components.

ABIT AL8 MB
Intel 820 Pentium D Processor
Kingston ValueRAM 1 GB (2x512 MB) 240 Pin DDR2 SDRAM
Antec NEOPOWER 480 ATX 480W power supply
Maxtor MaXLine Plus III 7L300SO 300 GB Hard Drive
Coolermaster Case

Let me assure you that I have built several systems before so I am not a novice. I assembled the system according to the AL8 motherboard manual and I got the computer to POST. Next I tried intalling Windows XP and the computer locked up 4 times in a row during the installation until it finally took the 5th time. I thought this odd but I was happy it installed. The next thing I wanted to see was the dual core operating. I did this by checking the "one core, one cpu" setting in the windows task manager and it only showed one core. I knew this to be wrong but continued to install other programs. Some installed fine, others locked up the computer. After about a month, lockups were common and the computer would randomly reboot. I decided to reinstall windows thinking this might help. I was never able to get Windows to install because it would always lock up during the install. I determined that the motherboard was at fault and requested through eRMA a new one. I paid the $157 to have a cross ship and the new motherboard showed up in a week (at this time I have not seen the check for $150.)

I installed the new motherboard and windows locked up on the first install. Subsequent installs were unsuccesful. At this point I should point out that my e-mails to customer service were either very late or never responded to, and by the time I received them, completely irrelevant. So I turned to the forums and I was told to check the RAM and CPU. So at my expense ($50 for Diagnostic test at ______ Computers) I had the CPU and the RAM checked. They found no problems. At that point I was almost sure it was the motherboard again, but forum members told me that since I had not installed the RAM in the AL8 it was possible that it was still the RAM. Therefore at my expense again ($50 for Diagnostic test at _____) the system in its entirety was taken to ______ Computers for diagnostics. _____ informed me that they had swapped out all components and their conclusion was that the motherboard was broken. At this point (today January 2nd, 2006) I have had enough of dealing with your terrible customer service and damaged motherboards. I informed _____ at ______ that he should find a comparable motherboard and install it and see if it worked. At that point he installed an Intel XXX motherboard and was able to install Windows with no problems. I am frustrated beyond words at this entire experience.

The bottom line is this. I request a check made out to me for the amount of the diagnostic tests required to diagnose your broken motherboard ($50+$50) and the amount I paid for the AL8 from newegg.com ($148) = $248. I have attached receipts for all these items for you to review.

In closing I would like to say that I realize that the users building computers can always be looked upon as being the fault of the problem. I understand that. However, I can't understand why after 3 months and numerous e-mails, it has to be such a problem just to get a new motherboard. I would suggest not sending refurbished motherboards to save a few bucks when its costing you in other ways, as in me your customer. I build computers for myself, my family, my wife's family, and I will never buy another ABIT motherboard again.

I will be posting this e-mail/letter to epinion's.com, tomshardware, sharkeyextreme, anandtech and any other computer site I can find to warn people about ABIT. I will be updating them as to the status of my refund. Thank you for your time.

ChipDeath

Splendid
May 16, 2002
Actually, they're generally regarded as being very good (hardware-wise) and they did always seem to have very good customer service (Numerous reports of them sending out replacement chipset fans for free when they died, for instance). They made the best Socket A board (The NF7-S), the best P4 Northwood i865 board (IS-7), and are still regarded as a top quality manufacturer today.

To be fair, the power requirements of the Pentium D chips are enormous. It must be hard to design a board that can cope. That said of course, this is very shoddy by the looks of things, And he's quite right to be angry with them.

I don't think there's ever been a company with an absolute 100% Customer service/satisfaction rating. He could just be one who 'slipped through the cracks'... although Abit do seem to be going a little downhill lately... :?

Well, I ordered an Abit K8N Ultra today, so I'll soon see first hand.... 8O

ChipDeath

Splendid
May 16, 2002
Price and availability, and I read a few quite positive reviews of the KN8 boards, and a few negative ones of the AN8.

Been monitoring my DHL shipment though, and the idiots have sent it to the wrong town, so it looks like I'll not be able to install it over the weekend like I was hoping. I have a 6800GS sat here laughing at me... And I'm going to get that over 500Mhz if it kills me :mrgreen: ... Although I'll be trying not to blow it up like my 9800Pro :oops:

On the plus side, I have a Venice 3000+ here at work that I can 'borrow'. Be interesting how it compares with my 3200+ Winchester.

It'll be great to finally get everything up and working, with no niggling little problems.... (fat chance! :lol: )