Can I Connect My Printer Wirelessly??

Ryan

Hi,

I have just gotten as a gift an HP All-In-One Printer, Copier,
Scanner, Fax unit that I would love to connect to my PC running
Windows XP Home. However, the unit is too large to put on the desk
near the PC and the best place to put the new printer is on a table in
the corner of the room which would cause me to have to run a USB cable
across the floor.

Is there a wireless item I can buy to plug into a USB port on the PC
and on the back of the printer so I can use the printer wirelessly
without having to change my whole network over to wireless?

I see USB wireless products out there, but can't tell if it's what I
need.

Thanks!

Ryan wrote:
> Hi,
>
> I have just gotten as a gift an HP All-In-One Printer, Copier,
> Scanner, Fax unit that I would love to connect to my PC running
> Windows XP Home. However, the unit is too large to put on the desk
> near the PC and the best place to put the new printer is on a table in
> the corner of the room which would cause me to have to run a USB cable
> across the floor.
>
> Is there a wireless item I can buy to plug into a USB port on the PC
> and on the back of the printer so I can use the printer wirelessly
> without having to change my whole network over to wireless?
>
> I see USB wireless products out there, but can't tell if it's what I
> need.
>
> Thanks!

Hmmm... one optin is to buy wireless router with print server, then you
connect printer to router and connect router to PC wireless.
Kinda expensive, though...

> Is there a wireless item I can buy to plug into a USB port on the PC
> and on the back of the printer so I can use the printer wirelessly
> without having to change my whole network over to wireless?

You could use a printer server on a wired/wireless or (as you requested) a
mixed network - however the drivers for printer servers aren't always very
good (For example they don't always support features like ink or paper
status programs)..and you would need to make sure your printer was supported
by the server you choose.

USB cables can be extended using a special USB extenders (wired). ....

http://www.networktechinc.com/usbc5.html

http://www.everythingusb.com/hardware/USB_distance_extension/