what is the purpose of sata 2 drives......

slipchuck

Distinguished
Jan 22, 2002
why sata 2 drives when they can't even read the bandwidth of sata 1?
the only hard drive that comes close is WD raptor.
is the 3G bandwidth only good for WD raptors in raid 0?

thanks

linux_0

Splendid
fishmahn :trophy:

Absolutely right!

It's just marketing!

It will probably take years to reach the bandwidth of SATA2.

Someone is likely to invent something way better than magnetic hard drives before that happens.

RichPLS

Champion
Woudn't a SATA2 memory card max the bandwidth? And if you had 4 - 10k drives RAID0 you would be close if not maxing it, now access your DVD rom, it is sure maxed...

TunaSoda

Distinguished
Dec 2, 2005
How can SATA II be a marketing thing when the people that know about it know they don't need it, and the people that don't know about it don't even know what SATA I is? :D

nobly

Distinguished
Dec 21, 2005
Its for more than 4 HDD's in a RAID 0 setup, or for servers with lots of drives in any RAID configuration.

It also sets up the specs for eSATA - http://www.sata-io.org/esata.asp
eSATA looks quite promising. There's a few controller cards for it already.

For non-professional users, not much of a purpose for SATA II. Its just aimed at the server/professional market... I'm sure they just use the same drives we do, unless they're still using SCSI... So its just cheaper for HDD manufacturers to migrate everything. Besides SATA II is backwards compatible, so no one's gonna complain.

linux_0

Splendid
In a server environment however someone would have to be crazy to use RAID0 or onboard RAID.

One would get PCI-X 64bit/133MHz 3Ware 9550SX controllers which offer 300MB/sec point-to-point on each interface and capable of 800 MB/sec RAID 5 reads and exceed 380 MB/sec RAID 5 writes.

nobly

Distinguished
Dec 21, 2005
Well I figured that some low-end type companies won't have all of that $$$ to blow on high-end server systems, so they can build a low cost RAID 5 or something using 7200rpm drives. I'm not talking onboard RAID, of course they would have a controller, but the question referred to SATA II, so I was saying in general, that's where the use of SATA II is.

If you got a controller, of course your HDD's will have to be capable of living up to the controller's specs... thats where SATA II can come in.

Shrug :)

fishmahn

Distinguished
Jul 6, 2004
How can SATA II be a marketing thing when the people that know about it know they don't need it, and the people that don't know about it don't even know what SATA I is? :D
Because it is new... and its twice as fast as SATA1... whatever SATA1 is... and you know 'they' wouldn't make something twice as fast for no reason so it has to be worth something.

There are plenty of teenagers around that have to have the latest and greatest thing, and daddy will open the checkbook when I say its twice as fast...

The psychology of marketing will sicken many people if they truly knew.

Mike.

ara

Distinguished
Sep 13, 2005
so hold on... if you have sata1 on your mother board with 4 connectors which is 150mb/s, is that 150mb/s shared between the four connectors (i.e: the max the controller can do) or does each connector have 150mb/s totalling 600mb/s for the controller's max?

linux_0

Splendid
A high-quality SATA RAID controller such as the 3Ware Escalade 9550SX can theoretically do 300MB/sec point to point on each individual connector. I doubt the onboard controller can but I could be wrong.

Someone please correct me if I am wrong.

Thanks!