Net use in logon script asks for username and password

Archived from groups: microsoft.public.windowsnt.terminalserver.misc (More info?)

Hello,

I have a funny problem at a customer. The terminal server works fine 'till a
line where there's a net use to a printer. When the script gets to this
line, it asks for a username and password.

Does anyone know how to fix this?

Gabriel.

Archived from groups: microsoft.public.windowsnt.terminalserver.misc (More info?)

Fix the security on the printer. Make sure that the user can connect
and has the right to print.

--
Vera Noest
MCSE,CCEA, Microsoft MVP - Terminal Server

"Gabriel Hakvoort" <ghakvoort@euronet.nl> wrote on 15 okt 2004:

> Hello,
>
> I have a funny problem at a customer. The terminal server works
> fine 'till a line where there's a net use to a printer. When the
> script gets to this line, it asks for a username and password.
>
> Does anyone know how to fix this?
>
> Gabriel.

Archived from groups: microsoft.public.windowsnt.terminalserver.misc (More info?)

I think the rights are all in order. The user is also logging on to a
regular workstation at the office and has no trouble then.

Are there additional rights required when connecting to terminal server?

"Vera Noest [MVP]" <Vera.Noest@remove-this.hem.utfors.se> schreef in bericht
> Fix the security on the printer. Make sure that the user can connect
> and has the right to print.
>
> --
> Vera Noest
> MCSE,CCEA, Microsoft MVP - Terminal Server
> http://hem.fyristorg.com/vera/IT
> *----------- Please reply in newsgroup -------------*
>
> "Gabriel Hakvoort" <ghakvoort@euronet.nl> wrote on 15 okt 2004:
>

>> Hello,
>>
>> I have a funny problem at a customer. The terminal server works
>> fine 'till a line where there's a net use to a printer. When the
>> script gets to this line, it asks for a username and password.
>>
>> Does anyone know how to fix this?
>>
>> Gabriel.

Archived from groups: microsoft.public.windowsnt.terminalserver.misc (More info?)

No, TS doesn't require special printer permissions.

What exactly is your setup?
I understand that you try to map a printer withing the users logon
script? Can you post the relevant part of the script?
Is this a network printer, shared from a print server? or a local
printer on the TS?

What OS do you run on the Terminal Server? And which rdp client
version? Can't you use automatic redirection of client printers?

--
Vera Noest
http://hem.fyristorg.com/vera/IT

"Gabriel Hakvoort" <ghakvoort@euronet.nl> wrote on 15 okt 2004 in
microsoft.public.windowsnt.terminalserver.misc:

> I think the rights are all in order. The user is also logging on
> to a regular workstation at the office and has no trouble then.
>
> Are there additional rights required when connecting to terminal
> server?
>
> "Vera Noest [MVP]" <Vera.Noest@remove-this.hem.utfors.se>
> schreef in bericht
>> Fix the security on the printer. Make sure that the user can
>> connect and has the right to print.
>>
>> --
>> Vera Noest
>> MCSE,CCEA, Microsoft MVP - Terminal Server
>> http://hem.fyristorg.com/vera/IT
>> *----------- Please reply in newsgroup -------------*
>>
>> "Gabriel Hakvoort" <ghakvoort@euronet.nl> wrote on 15 okt 2004:
>>

>>> Hello,
>>>
>>> I have a funny problem at a customer. The terminal server
>>> works fine 'till a line where there's a net use to a printer.
>>> When the script gets to this line, it asks for a username and
>>> password.
>>>
>>> Does anyone know how to fix this?
>>>
>>> Gabriel.

Archived from groups: microsoft.public.windowsnt.terminalserver.misc (More info?)

Hi Vera,

- It's a w2k3 standard edition server (Licensed and all in appl mode).
- W2k domain.
- Client version 5.1.2600.2180

The line that triggers is....:
net use lpt2 \\asc-dc\hpbalie

This is what happens:
When I logon to the w2k3 terminal server the logon script runs and makes
drive mappings but when it gets to the printer mapping part it asks for a
username and password as if the computer is not in the domain.

First I thought it only happened to our own terminal server but we found it
also happens on a server at a customer.

For that customer it's not really important anymore in a week time orso
since they don't have a dos program anymore than. For ourselfs it will
remain important for a while.

Greets,
Gabriel.

> [...]

> "Gabriel Hakvoort" <ghakvoort@euronet.nl> wrote on 15 okt 2004 in
> microsoft.public.windowsnt.terminalserver.misc:
>
>> I think the rights are all in order. The user is also logging on
>> to a regular workstation at the office and has no trouble then.
>>
>> Are there additional rights required when connecting to terminal
>> server?
>>
>> "Vera Noest [MVP]" <Vera.Noest@remove-this.hem.utfors.se>
>> schreef in bericht
>>> Fix the security on the printer. Make sure that the user can
>>> connect and has the right to print.
>>>
>>> --
>>> Vera Noest
>>> MCSE,CCEA, Microsoft MVP - Terminal Server
>>> http://hem.fyristorg.com/vera/IT
>>> *----------- Please reply in newsgroup -------------*

Archived from groups: microsoft.public.windowsnt.terminalserver.misc (More info?)

Maybe this is something interesting... It seems that if you type in
username/password every time asked, after about 10 times it stops asking and
works fine...

Please ask if you need more info!

"Gabriel Hakvoort" <ghakvoort@euronet.nl> schreef in bericht
> Hi Vera,
>
> - It's a w2k3 standard edition server (Licensed and all in appl mode).
> - W2k domain.
> - Client version 5.1.2600.2180
>
> The line that triggers is....:
> net use lpt2 \\asc-dc\hpbalie
>
> This is what happens:
> When I logon to the w2k3 terminal server the logon script runs and makes
> drive mappings but when it gets to the printer mapping part it asks for a
> username and password as if the computer is not in the domain.
>
> First I thought it only happened to our own terminal server but we found
> it also happens on a server at a customer.
>
> For that customer it's not really important anymore in a week time orso
> since they don't have a dos program anymore than. For ourselfs it will
> remain important for a while.
>
> Greets,
> Gabriel.
>
> "Vera Noest [MVP]" <vera.noest@remove-this.hem.utfors.se> schreef in
> bericht news:Xns9584A24C450B0veranoesthemutforsse@207.46.248.16...
>> No, TS doesn't require special printer permissions.
>>
>> What exactly is your setup?
>> I understand that you try to map a printer withing the users logon
>> script? Can you post the relevant part of the script?
>> Is this a network printer, shared from a print server? or a local
>> printer on the TS?
>>
>> What OS do you run on the Terminal Server? And which rdp client
>> version? Can't you use automatic redirection of client printers?
>>
>> --
>> Vera Noest
>> MCSE, CCEA, Microsoft MVP - Terminal Server
>> http://hem.fyristorg.com/vera/IT
>> --- please respond in newsgroup, NOT by private email ---
>>
>> "Gabriel Hakvoort" <ghakvoort@euronet.nl> wrote on 15 okt 2004 in
>> microsoft.public.windowsnt.terminalserver.misc:
>>
>>> I think the rights are all in order. The user is also logging on
>>> to a regular workstation at the office and has no trouble then.
>>>
>>> Are there additional rights required when connecting to terminal
>>> server?
>>>
>>> "Vera Noest [MVP]" <Vera.Noest@remove-this.hem.utfors.se>
>>> schreef in bericht

Archived from groups: microsoft.public.windowsnt.terminalserver.misc (More info?)

Windows Server 2003 & Windows XP do NOT allow non-admins to
redirect physical ports, i.e. LPT2, but you can disable LPT2 in
the device manager or BIOS (on the server), which will allow users
to redirect LPT2 because it would then be a logical port.

--
Vera Noest
http://hem.fyristorg.com/vera/IT

"Gabriel Hakvoort" <ghakvoort@euronet.nl> wrote on 19 okt 2004 in
microsoft.public.windowsnt.terminalserver.misc:

> Hi Vera,
>
> - It's a w2k3 standard edition server (Licensed and all in appl
> mode). - W2k domain.
> - Client version 5.1.2600.2180
>
> The line that triggers is....:
> net use lpt2 \\asc-dc\hpbalie
>
> This is what happens:
> When I logon to the w2k3 terminal server the logon script runs
> and makes drive mappings but when it gets to the printer mapping
> part it asks for a username and password as if the computer is
> not in the domain.
>
> First I thought it only happened to our own terminal server but
> we found it also happens on a server at a customer.
>
> For that customer it's not really important anymore in a week
> time orso since they don't have a dos program anymore than. For
> ourselfs it will remain important for a while.
>
> Greets,
> Gabriel.
>
> "Vera Noest [MVP]" <vera.noest@remove-this.hem.utfors.se>
> schreef in bericht
>> No, TS doesn't require special printer permissions.
>>
>> What exactly is your setup?
>> I understand that you try to map a printer withing the users
>> logon script? Can you post the relevant part of the script?
>> Is this a network printer, shared from a print server? or a
>> local printer on the TS?
>>
>> What OS do you run on the Terminal Server? And which rdp client
>> version? Can't you use automatic redirection of client
>> printers?
>>
>> --
>> Vera Noest
>> MCSE, CCEA, Microsoft MVP - Terminal Server
>> http://hem.fyristorg.com/vera/IT
>> --- please respond in newsgroup, NOT by private email ---
>>
>> "Gabriel Hakvoort" <ghakvoort@euronet.nl> wrote on 15 okt 2004
>> in microsoft.public.windowsnt.terminalserver.misc:
>>
>>> I think the rights are all in order. The user is also logging
>>> on to a regular workstation at the office and has no trouble
>>> then.
>>>
>>> Are there additional rights required when connecting to
>>> terminal server?
>>>
>>> "Vera Noest [MVP]" <Vera.Noest@remove-this.hem.utfors.se>
>>> schreef in bericht

Archived from groups: microsoft.public.windowsnt.terminalserver.misc (More info?)

I know, that's why we redirect LPT2 and not LPT1... Is there no other way to
get around this? I have the feeling that the server simply doesn't see the
user is already athenticated...

Is there something more we can try?