User knocked off without warning.

Archived from groups: microsoft.public.windowsnt.terminalserver.misc (More info?)

I have a 2003 terminal server with about 10 users that connect daily, Two
of those users get disconnected without warning and have to log back in
constantly.
The time they are connected varies from 10 - 15 minutes to 1 or 2 minutes
after logon before it happens to them. no single application seems to
always be in use and the timeouts have all been checked and are set to at
least 30 minutes. I am seeing quite a few application hangs in the error
logs but nothing that seems to account for this problem.
Has anyone seen this before?

Ther Richardson
Systems Admin
VFW National Home for Children
trichardson@vfwnhc.org.nospam

Archived from groups: microsoft.public.windowsnt.terminalserver.misc (More info?)

Sounds like an unreliable network connection? What kind of
connection do these users have?

--
Vera Noest
MCSE,CCEA, Microsoft MVP - Terminal Server

"Ther Richardson" <ther_richardson@hotmail.com> wrote on 18 okt
2004:

> I have a 2003 terminal server with about 10 users that connect
> daily, Two of those users get disconnected without warning and
> have to log back in constantly.
> The time they are connected varies from 10 - 15 minutes to 1 or
> 2 minutes after logon before it happens to them. no single
> application seems to always be in use and the timeouts have all
> been checked and are set to at least 30 minutes. I am seeing
> quite a few application hangs in the error logs but nothing that
> seems to account for this problem. Has anyone seen this before?
>
> Ther Richardson
> Systems Admin
> VFW National Home for Children
> trichardson@vfwnhc.org.nospam

Archived from groups: microsoft.public.windowsnt.terminalserver.misc (More info?)

Sorry about the delayed response Vera, I was out for a few days.

It is not a bad connection, it is a user dependent problem. I have logged
on as those two users from my own and other systems and still have the
disconnect problem, however I can log on as myself or an un-effected user
and stay on all day without problems.

"Vera Noest [MVP]" <Vera.Noest@remove-this.hem.utfors.se> wrote in message
> Sounds like an unreliable network connection? What kind of
> connection do these users have?
>
> --
> Vera Noest
> MCSE,CCEA, Microsoft MVP - Terminal Server
> http://hem.fyristorg.com/vera/IT
> *----------- Please reply in newsgroup -------------*
>
> "Ther Richardson" <ther_richardson@hotmail.com> wrote on 18 okt
> 2004:
>
> > I have a 2003 terminal server with about 10 users that connect
> > daily, Two of those users get disconnected without warning and
> > have to log back in constantly.
> > The time they are connected varies from 10 - 15 minutes to 1 or
> > 2 minutes after logon before it happens to them. no single
> > application seems to always be in use and the timeouts have all
> > been checked and are set to at least 30 minutes. I am seeing
> > quite a few application hangs in the error logs but nothing that
> > seems to account for this problem. Has anyone seen this before?
> >
> > Ther Richardson
> > Systems Admin
> > VFW National Home for Children
> > trichardson@vfwnhc.org.nospam

Archived from groups: microsoft.public.windowsnt.terminalserver.misc (More info?)

OK, good to have ruled the network out.
Do I understand correctly that the users are thrown out *even
while they are actively working*? It's not while they are idle?

Since it's user-specific, I would start by deleting their profile.
Corrupt user profiles can lead to all kinds of bizarre behaviour.

Have you checked for spyware, Internet Explorer add-ins like
toolbars, etc?

--
Vera Noest
http://hem.fyristorg.com/vera/IT

"Ther Richardson" <ther_richardson@hotmail.com> wrote on 21 okt
2004 in microsoft.public.windowsnt.terminalserver.misc:

> Sorry about the delayed response Vera, I was out for a few days.
>
> It is not a bad connection, it is a user dependent problem. I
> have logged on as those two users from my own and other systems
> and still have the disconnect problem, however I can log on as
> myself or an un-effected user and stay on all day without
> problems.
>

> "Vera Noest [MVP]" <Vera.Noest@remove-this.hem.utfors.se> wrote
> in message
>> Sounds like an unreliable network connection? What kind of
>> connection do these users have?
>>
>> --
>> Vera Noest
>> MCSE,CCEA, Microsoft MVP - Terminal Server
>> http://hem.fyristorg.com/vera/IT
>> *----------- Please reply in newsgroup -------------*
>>
>> "Ther Richardson" <ther_richardson@hotmail.com> wrote on 18 okt
>> 2004:
>>
>> > I have a 2003 terminal server with about 10 users that
>> > connect daily, Two of those users get disconnected without
>> > warning and have to log back in constantly.
>> > The time they are connected varies from 10 - 15 minutes to 1
>> > or 2 minutes after logon before it happens to them. no
>> > single application seems to always be in use and the timeouts
>> > have all been checked and are set to at least 30 minutes. I
>> > am seeing quite a few application hangs in the error logs but
>> > nothing that seems to account for this problem. Has anyone
>> > seen this before?
>> >
>> > Ther Richardson
>> > Systems Admin
>> > VFW National Home for Children
>> > trichardson@vfwnhc.org.nospam

Archived from groups: microsoft.public.windowsnt.terminalserver.misc (More info?)

You understand correctly, they can be thrown out after just opening a new
email and having begun typing in it, but only two of about fifteen to twenty
of my users is being effected, and on any system they use.

Are you saying that you would delete the local user account on the terminal
server or their domain account in active directory?

I will check for spyware on the server, I know the terminals are clean
because I just built them and removed IE so the users cant get to the
internet on the local pc.

Archived from groups: microsoft.public.windowsnt.terminalserver.misc (More info?)

No, I would not delete their account, only their profile.
Where the profile is stored depends on your settings (local or
roaming profile).

By the way, why do users have 2 accounts? Why local accounts on the
Terminal Server? Isn't your TS a member of the domain?

--
Vera Noest
http://hem.fyristorg.com/vera/IT

"Ther Richardson" <ther_richardson@hotmail.com> wrote on 22 okt
2004 in microsoft.public.windowsnt.terminalserver.misc:

> You understand correctly, they can be thrown out after just
> opening a new email and having begun typing in it, but only two
> of about fifteen to twenty of my users is being effected, and on
> any system they use.
>
> Are you saying that you would delete the local user account on
> the terminal server or their domain account in active directory?
>
> I will check for spyware on the server, I know the terminals are
> clean because I just built them and removed IE so the users cant
> get to the internet on the local pc.

Archived from groups: microsoft.public.windowsnt.terminalserver.misc (More info?)

Well each user has a profile on the network in active directory, but each
user ends up with the standard "profile" in documents and settings on the TS
when they log in as well. My users are not using roaming profiles, although
it doesn't sound like a bad idea. where were you talking about deleting the
profile from. (in a plain vanilla setup.)?

I did delete her account over the weekend, and rebuilt it but the problem is
still happening. I am having some application hangs in the event log too I
notice.

Archived from groups: microsoft.public.windowsnt.terminalserver.misc (More info?)

What you see in "Documents and Settings is probably the locally
cached copy of the roaming profile that the users have in AD.

When a user with a central (roaming) profile logs on to a machine
(be it client or TS), a copy of their roaming profile is copied to
C:\Documents and Settings\%username%. During their session, they
use this local copy. When they log off, their local profile is
copied back to their centrally stored profile (their roaming
profile).
You can use a GPO to automatically delete the locally cached copy
of the roaming profile, which is good practice on a TS.

Since the context of the thread is gone, I don't know any longer
what your original problem was.

--
Vera Noest
MCSE,CCEA, Microsoft MVP - Terminal Server
http://hem.fyristorg.com/vera/IT

"Ther Richardson" <ther_richardson@hotmail.com> wrote on 25 okt
2004:

> Well each user has a profile on the network in active directory,
> but each user ends up with the standard "profile" in documents
> and settings on the TS when they log in as well. My users are
> not using roaming profiles, although it doesn't sound like a bad
> idea. where were you talking about deleting the profile from.
> (in a plain vanilla setup.)?
>
> I did delete her account over the weekend, and rebuilt it but
> the problem is still happening. I am having some application
> hangs in the event log too I notice.

Archived from groups: microsoft.public.windowsnt.terminalserver.misc (More info?)

The context id below,

I am still experiencing the problem if you have any other thoughts

> Since the context of the thread is gone, I don't know any longer
> what your original problem was.

I have a 2003 terminal server with about 10 users that connect daily, Two
of those users get disconnected without warning and have to log back in
constantly.
The time they are connected varies from 10 - 15 minutes to 1 or 2 minutes
after logon before it happens to them. no single application seems to
always be in use and the timeouts have all been checked and are set to at
least 30 minutes. I am seeing quite a few application hangs in the error
logs but nothing that seems to account for this problem.
Has anyone seen this before?

Ther Richardson
Systems Admin
VFW National Home for Children
trichardson@vfwnhc.org.nospam

Archived from groups: microsoft.public.windowsnt.terminalserver.misc (More info?)

OK, now I recall.
Since you have already deleted the complete user account, the
affected users should have a fresh profile, so that's not the
problem.
My next step would be investigating those hanging applications,
since you know that you have a problem there. But this is getting
mysterious, since the problem is user-specific. Are other users
running these same applications also?

--
Vera Noest
http://hem.fyristorg.com/vera/IT

"Ther Richardson" <ther_richardson@hotmail.com> wrote on 25 okt
2004 in microsoft.public.windowsnt.terminalserver.misc:

> The context id below,
>
> I am still experiencing the problem if you have any other
> thoughts
>

>> Since the context of the thread is gone, I don't know any
>> longer what your original problem was.
>>
> I have a 2003 terminal server with about 10 users that connect
> daily, Two of those users get disconnected without warning and
> have to log back in constantly.
> The time they are connected varies from 10 - 15 minutes to 1 or
> 2 minutes after logon before it happens to them. no single
> application seems to always be in use and the timeouts have all
> been checked and are set to at least 30 minutes. I am seeing
> quite a few application hangs in the error logs but nothing that
> seems to account for this problem. Has anyone seen this before?
>
> Ther Richardson
> Systems Admin
> VFW National Home for Children
> trichardson@vfwnhc.org.nospam

Archived from groups: microsoft.public.windowsnt.terminalserver.misc (More info?)

I have had an interesting development in this case and was wondering if
anyone had ideas about it. I got a call from one of the users that gets
kicked off yesterday and she said it was fixed and working fine, but I found
out this morning that my dhcp server was off all day yesterday and I did not
know it. When I turned the dhcp/wins/dns server back on this morning, she
called to tell me it was acting up again almost immediately. any thoughts
from anyone?
> OK, now I recall.
> Since you have already deleted the complete user account, the
> affected users should have a fresh profile, so that's not the
> problem.
> My next step would be investigating those hanging applications,
> since you know that you have a problem there. But this is getting
> mysterious, since the problem is user-specific. Are other users
> running these same applications also?
>
> --
> Vera Noest
> http://hem.fyristorg.com/vera/IT
> --- please respond in newsgroup, NOT by private email ---
>
> "Ther Richardson" <ther_richardson@hotmail.com> wrote on 25 okt
> 2004 in microsoft.public.windowsnt.terminalserver.misc:
>
>> The context id below,
>>
>> I am still experiencing the problem if you have any other
>> thoughts
>>

>>> Since the context of the thread is gone, I don't know any
>>> longer what your original problem was.
>>>
>> I have a 2003 terminal server with about 10 users that connect
>> daily, Two of those users get disconnected without warning and
>> have to log back in constantly.
>> The time they are connected varies from 10 - 15 minutes to 1 or
>> 2 minutes after logon before it happens to them. no single
>> application seems to always be in use and the timeouts have all
>> been checked and are set to at least 30 minutes. I am seeing
>> quite a few application hangs in the error logs but nothing that
>> seems to account for this problem. Has anyone seen this before?
>>
>> Ther Richardson
>> Systems Admin
>> VFW National Home for Children
>> trichardson@vfwnhc.org.nospam

Archived from groups: microsoft.public.windowsnt.terminalserver.misc (More info?)

This is getting stranger and stranger...
It could of course be a coincidence (I have often made the mistake
to assume that 2 problems that occur at the same time are related,
while in fact they are not).
But IF these incidents are somehow related, and your DHCP/WINS/DNS
server has anything to do with it, you should see some Events, on
one of the systems involved. Something about duplicate computer
names or IPnumbers, some error about a failure to resolve a
network name, etc.
Maybe you can instruct your user to run "ipconfig /all" before she
connects to the TS and immediately after she is thrown out, to see
if something goes wrong there. What is the lease time for your IP
numbers? Any connection in time between disconnections and IP
renewal?

--
Vera Noest
http://hem.fyristorg.com/vera/IT

"Ther Richardson" <trichardson@vfwnhc.org> wrote on 03 nov 2004 in
microsoft.public.windowsnt.terminalserver.misc:

> I have had an interesting development in this case and was
> wondering if anyone had ideas about it. I got a call from one
> of the users that gets kicked off yesterday and she said it was
> fixed and working fine, but I found out this morning that my
> dhcp server was off all day yesterday and I did not know it.
> When I turned the dhcp/wins/dns server back on this morning, she
> called to tell me it was acting up again almost immediately.
> any thoughts from anyone?
>
> "Vera Noest [MVP]" <vera.noest@remove-this.hem.utfors.se> wrote
> in message
>> OK, now I recall.
>> Since you have already deleted the complete user account, the
>> affected users should have a fresh profile, so that's not the
>> problem.
>> My next step would be investigating those hanging applications,
>> since you know that you have a problem there. But this is
>> getting mysterious, since the problem is user-specific. Are
>> other users running these same applications also?
>>
>> --
>> Vera Noest
>> MCSE, CCEA, Microsoft MVP - Terminal Server
>> http://hem.fyristorg.com/vera/IT
>> --- please respond in newsgroup, NOT by private email ---
>>
>> "Ther Richardson" <ther_richardson@hotmail.com> wrote on 25 okt
>> 2004 in microsoft.public.windowsnt.terminalserver.misc:
>>
>>> The context id below,
>>>
>>> I am still experiencing the problem if you have any other
>>> thoughts

>>> I have a 2003 terminal server with about 10 users that connect
>>> daily, Two of those users get disconnected without warning
>>> and have to log back in constantly.
>>> The time they are connected varies from 10 - 15 minutes to 1
>>> or 2 minutes after logon before it happens to them. no single
>>> application seems to always be in use and the timeouts have
>>> all been checked and are set to at least 30 minutes. I am
>>> seeing quite a few application hangs in the error logs but
>>> nothing that seems to account for this problem. Has anyone
>>> seen this before?
>>>
>>> Ther Richardson
>>> Systems Admin
>>> VFW National Home for Children
>>> trichardson@vfwnhc.org.nospam

Archived from groups: microsoft.public.windowsnt.terminalserver.misc (More info?)

Well, it is definitely the source, I can find no errors that pertain on the
server but when I gave that machine a static address and disabled DHCP the
problem stopped. I am at a loss, but thanks for the help you provided.

Ther Richardson
Systems Administrator
VFW National Home for Children
517-663-7971